General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming at Huntington Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-31 1:48 PM

User image

Fullerton, CA
Subject: Swimming at Huntington Beach
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows of any good spots to OWS at Huntington Beach? I know that Seal Beach and Bayshore are ideal but I was just wondering.

Thanks and have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!

2012-09-22 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4390210

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Swimming at Huntington Beach
I haven't tried it but a lot of people swim at Corona del Mar.
2012-10-01 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4423588

User image

New user

Costa Mesa, CA

tjh - 2012-09-22 4:47 PM I haven't tried it but a lot of people swim at Corona del Mar.

CDM is a great place to swim.  You can park up above the beach parking lot for free and walk down.  Most people start at the right most tower and they have buoys out so you can track how far you're going.  There are also bathrooms and showers.

2012-10-06 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Depends on how far you want to swim.

In Huntington Harbor there is Sea Bridge Park. Near the end of Edinger Ave

There is a small sand beach with outdoor showers. You can swim between two docks that about
50 yards apart.

Just don't drift out into the channel beyond the edge of the docks, as boats sail up and down
the channel and you could get hit.

But the docks are plenty long enough to give you a safe place to swim. And since you are swimming parallel to the beach, you are only a few strokes from being able to stand up at any point in your swim.

Plus you can rinse off your wetsuit right in the park.
2013-03-02 5:41 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa

Corona Del Mar State Beach is my favorite (free street parking, gotta get there really early if you want parking when it starts getting warmer, otherwise 15 bucks in the parking lot.), El Morro part of Crystal Cove (must pay for parking, it's the site of the Pacific Coast Triathlon), Long Beach near the convention center (coin operated metered parking), it's the site of the Long Beach Triathlon.

I guess you COULD OWS in Huntington Beach, but you have to go early before too many surfers show up, and there's a lot of surf action potentially so you'll have to dive under all those before you get to calmer waters.  Plus side: Lifeguards at the tower in the pier from Sun up to Sundown and trucks patrolling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming at Huntington Beach Rss Feed