General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Wisconsin
United States
Final Stretch
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 34s
Overall Rank = 12/108
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up early as usual. Unfortunately I only got about 4 hours sleep. And I slept about 15 hours in the last 5 days. I was tired. I do not have a reason for the lack of sleep. Sure work sucks this time of year, but that is every year. I got to bed at a reasonable time every night. I just could not fall asleep. So I was hoping my performance was not going to suffer. I was wrong
Event warmup:

Just a few miles on the bike to get it in gear and have my shoes on the pedals. I noticed my rear wheel was making more noise over bumps. I know it has a bad hub. I took it to the shop, and we decided to rinse it thru the race before they take it apart to determine if it can be fixed. However when I got home I noticed the quick release skewer was some how locked down very loosely. I know I cranked that down tight. If I raced with it like that , then I am lucky I did not drop my rear wheel. So who knows how it was during the race. Either way I need to fixx the rear wheel.
Swim
  • 21m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was 2 minutes slower then last year. I am guessing it was long this year , due to the fact that the same first place swimmer last year also went 2 minutes slower.

So I was wading in the water before hand and Carl asked me why I have a dark blue cap. I had not even thought about it. The third wave which me and Carl were supposed to be in, is light blue. So off to the race director igo,to see which wave he wants me in. He put me in the first wave. I was kind of happy about this, because I would be able to draft off Dave holden then.

So I sat on Dave's feet the whole time. The swim was fairly easy and I was pleased
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Went smooth

Practice going faster
Bike
  • 1h 12m 22s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I really like this course. it is basically slightly up hill the first half, which makes it down hill coming back in. That being said, I should have pushed the first half harder. Over all thought it was a decent ride, until I saw my watch in transition. I ended up being 2 minutes slower then last year. And based upon prior races this year I was planning on going 3 minutes faster. So that was a disappointment.

Bike more! Sleep more. Bike harder more .
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Both shoes dropped off the pedals,after I got off the bike. So that was great. It only cost me a couple seconds,but some aggregation. Other then that it went well

Look into tighten shoe clips
Run
  • 46m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run...... After I saw my watch I knew I was not going to make my goal time, so I thought : push the run and see where I end up. First 3 miles were good. They were slower then expected, but not bad. Then the 4th mile started with a couple short but steep hills and that mile just sucked. I was mentally falling apart. My head was more tired then my body. I just tried to push through and pickup the pace for the last 2 miles.

I finished out decently. The run was 40 seconds faster then last year. Also slower then expected,but at least it was a little better then last year.

Get more sleep. And do more speed work
Post race
Warm down:

Ate and drank fluid

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sleep, fitness, and mental strength when tired. Possibly rear wheel on bike.

Event comments:

I was am really disappointed with my performance. Overall it was almost 4 minutes slower then last year. I had a lofty goal of a 6 minute improvement, based on prior improvements this year. Oh well. I'll be back next year

Bike fitness is going to be my focus this winter.

Last updated: 2012-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 4/108
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 laps
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:22 | 24.85 miles | 20.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 32/108
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back. Rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:03 | 06.21 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 22/108
Course: Out and back. A couple of small hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-02 9:00 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed