General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4392773

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread
It was recommended that I use my Tri bike because whilst there are some hills, the roads are in great shape and the speed gains that can be made whilst riding flat and downhill totally make the Tri bike worthwhile.

As for the water temp...........hopefully we can expect at least a couple of extra degrees I. The next 2 weeks! I have a neoprene hood and booties but was not expecting to have to wear them!

2013-06-08 2:49 PM
in reply to: keepitup

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by keepitup

We're almost 2 weeks out folks...

Some friends were up last weekend and they couldn't get in any of the lakes up there due to it being too cold.  Apparently you can't get into the actual lake without permission.  I was told to use my road bike for the race so it is a lot of up and down on the course!

I am paranoid about the lake temp!! I really don't do well with freezing to death.

Has anyone else been up?

I was registered for a oly distance tri today and the swim got cancelled. The water was too cold at 10.5 Celcius. It was 2 weeks to warm up.
2013-06-08 6:07 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by slowbuthappy

It was recommended that I use my Tri bike because whilst there are some hills, the roads are in great shape and the speed gains that can be made whilst riding flat and downhill totally make the Tri bike worthwhile.

As for the water temp...........hopefully we can expect at least a couple of extra degrees I. The next 2 weeks! I have a neoprene hood and booties but was not expecting to have to wear them!

The water temperature today was 49F -- if this was the temp for the 70.3, the swim would be cancelled (as was the case for the Oympic race today). I went for a very brief swim and it was FREEZING!! That being said, the next 2 weeks will be nice and warm and the lake should warm up nicely. I'd expect it to get to the low to mid 60s.

Edited by divemed06 2013-06-08 6:08 PM
2013-06-09 7:23 AM
in reply to: divemed06

User image

I guess I'll be wearing the neoprene hood AND boots then......

Any idea what the distance of the potential replacement duathlon might be? I'm interested mainly in the distance of the first run.
2013-06-09 8:58 AM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by slowbuthappy I guess I'll be wearing the neoprene hood AND boots then...... Any idea what the distance of the potential replacement duathlon might be? I'm interested mainly in the distance of the first run.

Lets just pretend that isn't going to happen.  There is lots of warm weather in the forecast to bring the lake temp up.

2013-06-09 10:25 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by slowbuthappy I guess I'll be wearing the neoprene hood AND boots then...... Any idea what the distance of the potential replacement duathlon might be? I'm interested mainly in the distance of the first run.

Lets just pretend that isn't going to happen.  There is lots of warm weather in the forecast to bring the lake temp up.

I am sure we will swim. It won't be warm but we will swim

The water was 14 on Thursday. There were some cold winds on Friday that brought it down but in two weeks it will be above 14. For sure

2013-06-09 2:02 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

OK - it isn't going to happen, it isn't going to happen, it isn't going to happen!

Beautiful day in Ontario today hopefully the same in Mt Tremblant!!
2013-06-09 2:30 PM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slowbuthappy

OK - it isn't going to happen, it isn't going to happen, it isn't going to happen!

Beautiful day in Ontario today hopefully the same in Mt Tremblant!!

For sure we will swim. There is no way it can not go up 2deg in 2 weeks. It probably went above 14 today.

2013-06-13 1:47 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Athlete Guide has been posted with the swim waves.  I'm in wave 12 of 14 - yuck!

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ironman-70.3/mont-tremblant/athletes/athlete-guide.aspx

2013-06-14 8:07 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
A little late to the thread.

This will be my first tri this season. Nothing like jumping in with both feet. I hate cold water so it should be interesting.

I am getting in on Friday afternoon. Flying with my bike which will be a first, so some of Friday afternoon will be dedicated to reassembly.

Any interest in having a BT get together on Friday afternoon/evening, Saturday during the day, or after the race on Sunday? According to the race group thingy, there are 18 of us doing this race. There are a lot of names that I would love to associate with a face. I have met Axteraa, briefly, in body marking, on one blurred-out-memory of a morning a couple years ago......
2013-06-14 8:43 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I seem to recall it being a bit warm that day, maybe a bit of wind....

I'll be arriving Friday afternoon sometime, I'd be up for something at some point.

2013-06-15 9:52 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
PM to be sent shortly.

Anyone else interested in getting together?

I have never been to MT before so I don't know where to meet up but I am sure there has to be someplace we can get ice cream or something.
2013-06-15 9:58 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
For some reason it won't let me PM to you.....

Send me a text 7-3-4-7-0-9-1-8-4-6 when you get to town. I should be getting in around 3.

I am only paying for internationaly texting but a call is fine as well.

Happy to try to coordinate with anyone else.

I would love to meet the (in)famous Fred D.
2013-06-15 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Warm today here in Kingston...hope it is in MT as well.  People are starting to get into the smaller lakes here without incident finally!! I am next

I rode a hilly ride today on my tri bike and it climbs like a slog compared to my road bike.  Must be my bike.  Everyone noticed and said race on the road bike.  I am tiny and don't bike fast on either one so I might as well like it and save my legs for running which I am decent at

Hope everyone's training is going well

2013-06-16 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Warm today here in Kingston...hope it is in MT as well.  People are starting to get into the smaller lakes here without incident finally!! I am next

I rode a hilly ride today on my tri bike and it climbs like a slog compared to my road bike.  Must be my bike.  Everyone noticed and said race on the road bike.  I am tiny and don't bike fast on either one so I might as well like it and save my legs for running which I am decent at

Hope everyone's training is going well

A tri bike, with the right gearing, will be much faster on this course. Much faster. There are three good climbs but there is also a lot of rolling hills. Some of the hills if you can get enough speed you can almost make it up the next hill.

Look at the gearing on your two bikes. Count the number of teeth on the biggest rings on the front and back, this is usually the biggest difference when people find one bike much harder than the other.

2013-06-16 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

A tri bike, with the right gearing, will be much faster on this course. Much faster. There are three good climbs but there is also a lot of rolling hills. Some of the hills if you can get enough speed you can almost make it up the next hill. Look at the gearing on your two bikes. Count the number of teeth on the biggest rings on the front and back, this is usually the biggest difference when people find one bike much harder than the other.

Thanks for advice . I know both bikes have similar gearing as I bought them at the same place...both have compact chainrings but I confess I don't know the specifics.  My tri bike is now 5 yrs old and weighs 3 lbs more than the 1 year old road bike.  The road bike is really a nice bike...not just my extra clunker  
How much of the course is flat, if any? Is it technical/twisty turny in terms of handling as I find my tri bike not so good in that respect.  I am a bit of a chicken descender because I am light and the wind throws me around sometimes.

2013-06-16 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

A tri bike, with the right gearing, will be much faster on this course. Much faster. There are three good climbs but there is also a lot of rolling hills. Some of the hills if you can get enough speed you can almost make it up the next hill. Look at the gearing on your two bikes. Count the number of teeth on the biggest rings on the front and back, this is usually the biggest difference when people find one bike much harder than the other.

Thanks for advice . I know both bikes have similar gearing as I bought them at the same place...both have compact chainrings but I confess I don't know the specifics.  My tri bike is now 5 yrs old and weighs 3 lbs more than the 1 year old road bike.  The road bike is really a nice bike...not just my extra clunker  
How much of the course is flat, if any? Is it technical/twisty turny in terms of handling as I find my tri bike not so good in that respect.  I am a bit of a chicken descender because I am light and the wind throws me around sometimes.

There are sections that are small rollers and there are 3 good climbs. The first two aren't so bad. The third is a little bigger. The third one is a few steep but short pitches. It's really steep, a bit down, steep, a bit down.....then you come down it. One the way down if you get good speed you go back up.

The downs are always very straight. It is not technical at all.

The 3lbs will make no difference compared to the aero benefit of the tri bike. This one isn't even close.

2013-06-17 3:00 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I agree with Marc, a tri bike will be faster on this course 100% of the time.  As for being technical, it isn't at all.  for the full IM, I used my brakes at the turn arounds, the 90 degrees turns getting on and off the Montee Ryan and maybe a couple of other turns (and to avoid riding into the back of a race photographer motorcycle - grr) but on the descents I stayed in aero and never touched my brakes at all.
2013-06-17 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by wannabefaster

For some reason it won't let me PM to you.....

Send me a text 7-3-4-7-0-9-1-8-4-6 when you get to town. I should be getting in around 3.

I am only paying for internationaly texting but a call is fine as well.

Happy to try to coordinate with anyone else.

I would love to meet the (in)famous Fred D.

In replying about a BT meet up.

How about a BT group meet up at the Saturday morning swim 7am?

I am planning to get into Mont-Tremblant on Thursday night. Others will get in Friday afternoon and night. So Saturday seems the most logical.

As I said I get in Thursday night. Friday am I plan to swim, then drive and ride part of the bike course.
2013-06-18 3:44 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sounds good to me. I am planning on getting in a practice swim on Saturday.

7 AM is pretty early while on vacation but I guess I could drag my sorry butt out of bed....
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2