General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Paola, Kansas
United States
Midwest Meltdown Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 32s
Overall Rank = 7/113
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site around 5:30a, right when transition opened. It had rained all night, and sprinkled/misted right up until the start of the race. I wanted to ride the course once beforehand, but figured I had better not bc I forgot my bike headlight and it was pitch black. Got a good transition spot, second rack from the entrance.
Event warmup:

nada, or as I say, my usual event warmup.
Swim
  • 11m 38s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started right in the front, and took off like a bullet the first 100m to the first turn. I was flying! There were 2 guys in front of me that were pulling away, so not much drafting, but I was feeling pretty good in the wetsuit. That didn't last. I'm sure it was from the fast start, but the wheels/arms fell off about 500m in, and I started getting some contact. I think I ended getting passed by 5 or 6 others in my wave. Sucks...
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself initially, and finish stronger. I haven't been in the pool much the last few weeks, and I know this attributed to the slowed pace. I was ready for 500m, not 750m
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Struggled with the wetsuit. Oh well, it was only the second time I've worn one.

Practice more, I guess.
Bike
  • 30m 38s
  • 10.42 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really happy with my ride. This was my first 20+mph split in a race, and had planned on hammering the entire course. I went a bit easy the first loop because of the wet conditions and not knowing the course, but unleashed on the second. I was really happy with this, and was happy to break 20mph on my last race of the year.

Keeping working towards 21mph....
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

racked my bike in the wrong slot, so had to take some extra time to move it.... Everything else was smooth.

pay more attention to my stuff...
Run
  • 21m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Already knowing I rode probably the hardest I have ever in a race, I was expecting a tough run. I was hoping for a 7:10 average, but would have been surprised to break that. The course itself wasn't too challenging, which allowed me to push a bit harder. I'm not too sure how accurate the time is, as I was averaging a 7:15mi on the way out, but the way back was slightly downhill and I did feel like I was flying.

I had two guys in front of me the entire run I was trying to reel in, but just didn't have it in me. Sucks too because I would have been in 5th place overall and gotten a sweet new Timex watch! Oh well. Left it all out there.

Nothing. This is exactly 8 seconds off of my stand alone 5k PR, so yeah. pretty happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

brief stretching, grabbed a beer and a mountain dew, loaded up my car, and watched the remaining racers finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely the wet conditions on the bike course, but the overcast day helped on the run. Also poor pacing during the swim start.

Event comments:

This was my first KLM sponsored race, and I had some pre-conceived worries about attending, but overall I think it was just fine for me. I'm not one for the awards ceremonies or post-race activities, so I was happy with that. The only thing I had an issue with was the finish. There was no tunnel/chute/ finish sign, so I had NO idea where it was. The RD was there directing, however. I will be thinking about the 3 midwest races next year, especially around the early bird signup time. I'm sure most people have there own opinions about the company/RD putting on the race and are probably validated from previous experiences, but I thought the race itself was just fine. Maybe I got lucky and picked the right one to do, though. Just my 2 cents....

Last updated: 2012-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:38 | 820 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 12/113
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU T2 Full sleeve
Course: Rectangular course along the beach. Swam counter clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:38 | 10.42 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 28/113
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 5.25 mi loop around the lake. Pancake flat! But wet....
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 87
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:13 | 03.11 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 9/113
Performance: Good
Course: Out to the dam and back. Again, nice and flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-03 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed