General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do after swimming through bat excrement (twice!) during Tri Rock Austin race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-03 3:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-09-03 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4393307

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: What to do after swimming through bat excrement (twice!) during Tri Rock Austin race?
That's definitely something you should take up with the RD. Whatever bacteria you had to get off of you should've been immediate otherwise the damage will have been done. It might be a good idea to rinse out your nostrils as well and just take extra care of touching your face for a few days.
2012-09-03 4:03 PM

Subject: RE: What to do after swimming through bat excrement (twice!) during Tri Rock Austin race?

I did Trirock today as well, and was surprised with the swim coarse change. However I didn't notice the water smell or taste. I have gotten very good about not drinking any water in an open water swim. I personally don't think it was a big deal, but if you are concerned I would suggest contacting the RD.

It does give me a chuckle about the things people worry about. If you drive a car or sit in traffic in a commute, you are exposed to far worse than anything a bat produces. Don't mean this as an insult, as I have my neurosis that would scare most people.

2012-09-03 4:03 PM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Is that any worse than what is already in the water (bird, duck, fish, turtle, snake, bug, and probably human excrement)? 
Honest question. 
2012-09-03 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4393323

2012-09-03 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4393332

Expert
McAllen
Yeah. I'd be concerned with the density of the guano. If human feces were in that high a volume it'd be cause for concern as well

2012-09-03 4:40 PM

Veteran

The only thing you can do is sit back and wait.  If you have any signs of intestinal distress make a Dr's appt right away. 

2012-09-03 4:48 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
As bats carry rabies.....which does require a bite to get....but you don't know if you are bitten even just a bat sighting in the attic causes ER docs to make  a person go through the rabies series.  YES, talk to the RD.  Not likely anyone was bitten in the swim, but swimming through bat guano sounds absolutely disgusting and completely unnecessary unless there was a substantial risk at the posted swim venue.
2012-09-03 5:11 PM

I really didn't notice any difference under the bridge, and I am not that concerned. BTW, I think the course was changed prior to race day...the buoys were already out in their positions on Sunday during check-in.

I am still curious, however, as to the reason they changed the course. My suspicion is vegetation near the rail-road bridge.  As I recall from fishing the lake, there is a shallow flat in front of the old power plant and maybe the grass was up to the surface there. After seeing grass mats floating everyday due to the low water flow this year, I was just happy that the grass was pretty much removed.

2012-09-03 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4393390

2012-09-03 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4393390

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
cldtx - 2012-09-03 6:11 PM

I really didn't notice any difference under the bridge, and I am not that concerned. BTW, I think the course was changed prior to race day...the buoys were already out in their positions on Sunday during check-in.

I am still curious, however, as to the reason they changed the course. My suspicion is vegetation near the rail-road bridge.  As I recall from fishing the lake, there is a shallow flat in front of the old power plant and maybe the grass was up to the surface there. After seeing grass mats floating everyday due to the low water flow this year, I was just happy that the grass was pretty much removed.

Yeah, grass overgrowth was the reason.

I was there too, and honestly I'm not super worried. The one disease associated with bat guano is histoplasmosis, which is fairly rare if your immune system is normal or you're not a baby. But, just in case, here's what we should all be looking out for:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/histoplasmosis/DS00517/DSECTION=symptoms

2012-09-03 6:12 PM

Hey mate, I know you were grossed out by the whole bat thing, but the Captex tri (the one downtown in May) uses a swim course much like the one this a.m. and it goes under both bridges as well.  Not pleasant, but I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about from a health perspective.  

Congrats on the finish, I had to bounce down to the sprint (had originally signed up for the Oly) due to a shoulder injury that I'm just finally recovering from.  I wish I could have done the Oly.

Cheers,

Eric

2012-09-03 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4393457

2012-09-03 8:12 PM

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I've never been to Austin, nor swam through bat guano... (NJ Devilman is a duck toilet though)... But I can tell you that the TriRock organizers do listen. Having done Annapolis the first year and this year, they definitely paid attention to criticisms about he bike course, and made a more spectator friendly finish line. I know somenw will give your concerns a fair hearing, especially since you appear to know the area and venue well.
2012-09-03 9:26 PM

Veteran
I do question about how much they listen to the competitors. I have raced San Diego the last 2 years and everyone said that going over the train tracks sucked and were very vocal about it. I saw numerous crashes and they did not make improvements for the last 2 years. I guess, sign ups were low or something this year due to that, and they did make a change which is nice...but after 2 years really???
2012-09-04 8:09 AM

Deep in the Heart of Texas
I raced TriRock yesterday and you certainly knew you were getting close to the bat bridge.  I was more concerned with swimming into a sick bat floating in the water.

2012-09-04 8:38 AM

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

Not to be an alarmist, but there's more to worry about than histoplasmosis, but if the water is not stagnant then infection is not likely. I have yet to see anyone get sick from swimming through the most concentrated, smelly guano soup, but that's pure anecdote.

Search Google Scholar for "cave microbiology guano" or something similar. I believe the person doing the most work in this field is Diana Northup.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do after swimming through bat excrement (twice!) during Tri Rock Austin race? Rss Feed