Midwest Sports Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 23s
Overall Rank = 89/555
Age Group = m45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/42
Pre-race routine:

Nothing out of the ordinary. Got to race about 1/2 hour before race time. Picked up my packet and ran back to car (1/2 mile away) ran back to start and they were doing the national anthem.
Event warmup:

1.5 mile warm up that was made up of running to registration, to car and back.
Run
  • 1h 42m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to go out at about 8:10 first three miles, then miles 4 through 10, goal pace (7:50-7:55), then last three, kick it up a notch to 7:40-7:30 pace. How do you like that? I worked the plan to a T. There were a few challenges. Being the cheap b*stard that I am, I am milking every last mile out of my dying Garmin. Right now that means I get about 6 miles before it goes dead. So my plan was to turn it on every once in a while for a mile or two to help lock into the correct pace. Decided to wait until mile two to turn it on, because they had starters grouped by pace and I started with the 8:00 mile group...who promptly went out at a 7:40 pace the first mile. So I backed off the next two miles knowing I had a little cushion built in. It was hard as I watched the group around me pull out ahead of me. (don't worry I saw most of them later, as I was passing them.) I turned Garmin back on at miles 5-6 to confirm that I was locked into race pace. (I was) At this point I was running near a group of about 6-7 runners who were just ahead of me. I used them to continue to maintain my pace. There was one guy who was very enthusiatic. It was bugging me a little. I am all for getting into it, but he seemed to be trying to make it seem like the pace wasn't really that hard and he could kind of goof off. I said to myself, I hope I pass that guy later. I, myself did feel very comfortable at the pace, but tried to be more reserved. At mile 7 I did get a little anxious as that is were wheels fell off last year, but that passed. At mile ten the group in front of me was down to 4 (including Mr. Happy-go lucky.) At that point I started to push the pace to 7:40-7:35. Still felt good. Within a mile, I had passed all 4 in front of me. With about a mile and 1/2 left, you hit a longish gradual uphill. I remember Dave telling me to attack the hill. So I did. Pace for this mile was about 7:30. Then you are rewarded with a 1/2 mile down hill. I still felt decent and pushed the pace a little more. As I made last push to finish line, I knew I was going to leave my previous PR (1:44) in the dust. It is amazing when things going according to plan.
What would you do differently?:

drink more. Took two bottles on fuel belt and drank at a few aid stations, but was real salty at end and needed more water. Good news for today is that it didn't really affect me.
Post race
Warm down:

ran back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being in the middle of marathon training

Event comments:

Even though this was not my 'A' race for the year, it meant a lot to me. As I battled my glute/hamstring issues last year and had one sub-par performance after another, I seriously thought that all the PRs of 2010 where as good as it was ever going to get for me. As things finally improved in training this year, I was a still a little uncertain that I was back. Well I'm certain now and ready to build from here. Bonus, I REALLY appreciate this PR and hopeful there are still a few more to come.
* Extra thanks to Dave for getting me ready for this one both mentally and and physically. Now on to the big one.

Last updated: 2012-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:23 | 13.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/42
Overall: 89/555
Performance: Good
Course: around the lake and through the city.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-03 9:12 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Lake Country Half Marathon

2012-09-04 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4393661

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake Country Half Marathon
NAILED IT!!!  and extra great job for beating "happy go lucky"....  onto the big one now mister!!!  you are ready.
2012-09-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4393661

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Country Half Marathon
Phenomenal job Jim!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Country Half Marathon Rss Feed