General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-05-17 2:04 PM
in reply to: Major BC

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread
Originally posted by Major BC

cornick - 2013-05-16 2:23 PM
dtoce - 2013-05-16 10:08 AM

"What's this talk of Quassy beer lines? Do they offer beer at the end of the race?!

It is a place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called the Patio and Party Area of Quassy.

Ohh...this grasshopper is looking forward to that!

2013-05-17 6:53 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Regular
NYC
Just found out an unexpected benefit of having had my named called out by Mike Reilly... Was driving up to Quassy to ride the course today and got pulled over doing over 80mph. Officer walks up to window, asks for license and registration, looks in the back of car at mine and Ellen's bikes and asks if where abouts we were going riding. When we told him he asked if we had any other races planned this season. "Lake Placid in July", I respond. He says "Me, too! See you up there. Slow down." and gives me back my paperwork. Lucky day!
2013-05-20 8:01 AM
in reply to: jmagnyc

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by jmagnyc

Just found out an unexpected benefit of having had my named called out by Mike Reilly... Was driving up to Quassy to ride the course today and got pulled over doing over 80mph. Officer walks up to window, asks for license and registration, looks in the back of car at mine and Ellen's bikes and asks if where abouts we were going riding. When we told him he asked if we had any other races planned this season. "Lake Placid in July", I respond. He says "Me, too! See you up there. Slow down." and gives me back my paperwork. Lucky day!

Ha! That's excellent.
2013-05-20 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Does anyone know the water temp in the lake?
2013-05-20 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Jim, No, I don't know the temp of the Lake at Quassy, but I did swam in Crystal Lake last week--BRRRRRRRRR I'd have to guess that the temp of the water at 5:30am when we swam was in the mid50's. The lake is shallow, like Quassy, and is more north, but still pretty cold.

After the 1 mile swim, one of our guys got vagal, and almost passed out. My feet went numb early on and I did a bit of hyperventilating due to the cold and the constriction of the wetsuit, but to tell the truth it was actually tolerable. And the weather has been warmer for the last week, so that should help.

I am planning on swimming another OWS this week, so I'll let you know how Crystal Lake is tempwise later on in this thread...

Hope your training is going well. I am looking forward to seeing everyone for beers!
2013-05-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
For anyone that has done this race before do you see many discs?

2013-05-21 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
I've been a spectator the past two years, this year will be my first time doing the Rev3, so I have ridden the course 4 times this month and each time I was SO THANKFUL to not have my new aerojacket wheel cover - there are some exposed ridges with fast downhills (30 to 40mph) where the cross-wind was really strong. I did see a bunch of disc wheels at the event, maybe in a week, the winds will quiet down some. I plan on riding the loop twice this Friday if anyone is around (should be well above 9,000' of elevation with two laps)
2013-05-21 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Yes, I've seen some. (But, usually I hear them coming up from behind me, often powered by young, strong engines...)

Be sure you can control a disc in the wind. Early June is a time for moderate winds in CT. I live here and it can be blustery.

I race on 808 Zipps and occasionally have a bit of difficulty in the wind getting used to the balance, but have never personally used disc wheels.

((Does anyone else miss the ability to change font/color/bold etc with the new interface?))
2013-05-21 10:46 AM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by cobratodd

I've been a spectator the past two years, this year will be my first time doing the Rev3, so I have ridden the course 4 times this month and each time I was SO THANKFUL to not have my new aerojacket wheel cover - there are some exposed ridges with fast downhills (30 to 40mph) where the cross-wind was really strong. I did see a bunch of disc wheels at the event, maybe in a week, the winds will quiet down some. I plan on riding the loop twice this Friday if anyone is around (should be well above 9,000' of elevation with two laps)

Todd how big are you? I'm 6'6" 200+ so wind doesn't usually affect me unless it's REALLY bad gusts...
2013-05-21 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
I'm much smaller at 6'-2" and 192#'s
2013-05-21 2:26 PM

User image

Boston
I have done the race the last 2 years and although I am small (125lbs), I have ridden disc wheel every time. Pre-rode the course this past weekend, and again rode my disc wheel. Yes - there are some screaming downhills, but if you can control your bike, and are comfortable on it, you should be totally fine

2013-05-21 3:26 PM
in reply to: czechchick15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by czechchick15

I have done the race the last 2 years and although I am small (125lbs), I have ridden disc wheel every time. Pre-rode the course this past weekend, and again rode my disc wheel. Yes - there are some screaming downhills, but if you can control your bike, and are comfortable on it, you should be totally fine

Excellent, thanks.
2013-05-25 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
8 days away! Forecast is for sunny and 82 so race day looks great. But training up till then continues to be a challenge with cold and rain. Still no OWS yet for me. Hopefully this week.
2013-05-25 2:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
word from rev3 is that 2 weeks ago the water temp was measured at 64 degrees...
2013-05-25 2:38 PM
in reply to: czechchick15

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by czechchick15 I have done the race the last 2 years and although I am small (125lbs), I have ridden disc wheel every time. Pre-rode the course this past weekend, and again rode my disc wheel. Yes - there are some screaming downhills, but if you can control your bike, and are comfortable on it, you should be totally fine

You may have settled it with your size (and nice riding there!), but just so others know, it's not the disc so much as the front wheel that affects handling. That's where the steering happens.

2013-05-25 3:26 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Boston
Good Point! Have either ridden the 3 spoke or 808 Firecrest no problem.

2013-05-26 6:46 PM
in reply to: Cavemann

Regular
Originally posted by Cavemann

word from rev3 is that 2 weeks ago the water temp was measured at 64 degrees...

Hi all- getting ready for Quassy, too! That would not be a bad water temp at all... let's hope it sticks! How is everyone else's prep for Quassy? I am feeling so-so; not my A-race for the year, but still looking to have some fun with it. When are people getting in?
2013-05-26 7:20 PM
in reply to: jsenc2002

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I am IN, as I live here in CT..ha

The water today when I swam in Crystal Lake, slightly more north in CT, was 61 degrees-with the air temp of 57. It is supposed to get warmer all week, so I wouldn't worry about temps. It'll be PERFECT. It was like bathwater last year, and people were unhappy about not getting in OWS beforehand as the water temp was too cold. It seems quite similar to last year, so no worries. It'll work out just fine.

Time to taper-if this is the A race, otherwise practice for the 'big day' at IM and make it count.

Let's get' 'r done and get on to the beer!!
2013-05-27 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Getting ready -- looks like it could get pretty hot!!
2013-05-28 11:20 AM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by skitri

Getting ready -- looks like it could get pretty hot!!

92 degrees?!
Come on-I've been training in prolonged cold for months so what's a little heat between friends?

I'm ready for anything (where is my sleeveless wetsuit?) except a tornado, hurricane...locusts...

Are you sure the swim isn't uphill? Where is my helmet? Where am I?

...right, I remember now-in the middle of 'taper madness'
2013-05-28 11:54 AM

User image

New user

New York
Originally posted by dtoce

92 degrees?!
Come on-I've been training in prolonged cold for months so what's a little heat between friends?

I'm ready for anything (where is my sleeveless wetsuit?) except a tornado, hurricane...locusts...

Are you sure the swim isn't uphill? Where is my helmet? Where am I?

• ..right, I remember now-in the middle of 'taper madness'

• It shouldn't be too bad... the forecast for Sunday has been improving I think - Weatherspark now says 78 degrees and 60% humidity at noon:

(weatherquassy.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    weatherquassy.jpg (179KB - 37 downloads)

2013-05-28 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
    Subject: Quassy Weekend

I will put a request out there for people to volunteer this weekend - I am racing on Sunday but will be stationed at an aid station on the run during Saturday Olympic race.

If you are here for either race, join in and help out the other day.

Info is on the Rev3 site - more people are needed from the sound of it.

best,
    thomas
    2013-05-28 5:14 PM
    in reply to: cialome

User image

New user

New York
    Subject: RE: Quassy Weekend
    Temperature expectations seem to be dropping nicely.

http://weatherspark.com/#!graphs;a=USA/CT/Middlebury;fcs=0;units=te...
    2013-05-31 10:23 AM
    in reply to: sydude

User image

Regular
    NYC
    To all those getting ready right now for Quassy, checking their lists, carb-loading and hydrating; best of luck this weekend. Be safe. Have fun. See you in the hills!
    2013-05-31 10:37 AM
    in reply to: jmagnyc

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ballston Spa, NY
    Originally posted by jmagnyc

To all those getting ready right now for Quassy, checking their lists, carb-loading and hydrating; best of luck this weekend. Be safe. Have fun. See you in the hills!

Ditto!

Truck is loaded, camper attached, ready to rock! Just left for CT!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6