Disney's Wide World of Sports
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 43s
Overall Rank = 182/14829
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/766
Pre-race routine:

Restless night of sleep this race. Our youngest daughter had been sick and I could feel it was starting to migrate over to me. Shuttles to the event were infrequent, so I knew I would be getting up extra early to make one, and so I woke up constantly. After taking the early shuttle I hung out in the starter's village area and listened to music, waiting for the corrals to open. Ate my normal Clif Bar and had G2 for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Got to the corrals when they opened and stretched about 20 minutes before the starting gun. No pre-race run to warm up, but after walking throughout the Disney parks the day before, my legs were plenty loose.
Run
  • 1h 36m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was fortunate enough to qualify for corral A with my previous half marathon times, so I knew I could get in front of the crowd and not have to fight the masses through the parks. At the start I was about the fifth line back, so there were not many people in front of me, and this made a clear path. Running through the parks was a memorable experience. Lining the streets were the Disney characters and you could stop and get pictures taken - but not for me this time around, I was aiming for a PR and was running strong. I hit the 5K mat at 22:45 (7:15/mi avg) and the 10K mat at 45:15 (7:16/mi avg). At 15K I was at 1:08:19 (7:20/mi avg) so I knew I had a great shot at my PR. My left hip/glute did not start getting sore until mile 10 or so, which helped me keep a good cadence and stay strong through the main parts of the race. I took on little water, but had planned for this in training and felt ok even without the added fluid. At mile 111-12 I felt a bit fatigued but associated my mind with my form and kept my pace below 8:00/mi. As I entered the Disneyland Hotel area I pushed a bit harder to finish before the 1:37:00 mark, and managed to come in a bit under, which set me new PR by about six (6) minutes. Execution for this race was good, and my 7:23/mi avg pace is a clear indication of that. Although I am totally satisfied with my results, I am confident I can do even better at this distance, and perhaps hold a 7:00/mi pace avg with more training and speed work.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing comes to mind on the surface. I could have executed fluid intake a bit better, but I did not want to stop at the water stations and walk, and did not want water and PowerAde sloshing into my face, so I skipped many of them.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the massage tent and got a 10 minutes massage on my legs, then walked to my designated meeting spot with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing comes to mind - my weight was about 193-194 for this race, and I suppose as I continue to shed pounds and fat I can improve my overall speed, but I do not think this was a limiter for my results based on past races.

Event comments:

This is Disney, so you know they are going to put on a top-shelf race. I was not disappointed in the least, and was thoroughly impressed with their management of the corrals and the finish area. Well done Disney - you make a great race for everyone.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:43 | 13.1 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/766
Overall: 182/14829
Performance: Good
HR was high throughout (avg 174BPM)
Course: Winding course through the Disney parks, Anaheim, and Angel stadium before returning to the Disneyland Hotel for the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-04 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: Disneyland Half Marathon

2012-09-12 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4394179

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Disneyland Half Marathon
Nice job! I set a massive PR at that race as well Smile
2012-09-12 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4408408

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

MichelleK - 2012-09-12 5:45 PM Nice job! I set a massive PR at that race as well Smile

Awesome!  Hard race to PR at, if you like stopping to get pictures with all the Disney characters!

2012-09-12 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4408417

User image

Extreme Veteran
101abp40 - 2012-09-12 5:57 PM

MichelleK - 2012-09-12 5:45 PM Nice job! I set a massive PR at that race as well Smile

Awesome!  Hard race to PR at, if you like stopping to get pictures with all the Disney characters!

I figure the pictures are a fallback if I'm having a bad race Smile Thankfully, it wasn't necessary this time.

I plan on doing the Goofy challenge one of these years and taking copious pictures during the half.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disneyland Half Marathon Rss Feed