Annapolis Striders
74F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 14s
Overall Rank = 3387/3863
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 331/353
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5 AM and was really, really hoping that it wasn't raining... no dice it's raining.

Had some breakfast and sat around with the wife deciding if we wanted to do the race or not. It has been raining since Friday and frankly we were both all done with being wet.

We made a weekend out of the race and came into town on Friday afternoon, so in addition to the cost of the race we were essentially on the hook for all the travel related expenses as well, so we decided to HTFU and just do the race.
Event warmup:

Took the trolley up to the Park Place parking garage and walked to the stadium from there. That constituted our warm up. It rained pretty much the whole way there not bad, but raining nonetheless.
Run
  • 1h 53m 14s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Well lets see, it was raining on the walk to the stadium so when we got there we tried to stay under cover to keep dry. The rain had let up close to the start of the race so I was happy about that... I never like starting a run in the rain. I can deal with getting rained on, but for some reason starting in the rain is a real de-motivator for me.

So the rain had let up and we lined up to start. Shortly after the gun went off and started to lightly rain again (yea!!!! supper stoked about that). Then by mile 2 it was a total and complete downpour... I mean rain you'd expect during a tropical storm. Rain coming down so hard if I was driving I'd stop because the windshield wipers wouldn't be able to keep up. The rain was coming down so hard that I honestly thought that they'd "call" the race out of fear of safety for the runners and the motorcycle support crews. It really was raining that hard.

So I was soaked, my wife and I just laughed because no sane person should have been out in that weather. So we just sloshed along and finished the race.

Nothing really to report. I'm sure it would have been a fun race had it not been for the rain. This was my first A10 and I had heard all the talk about how hilly it was... not really that bad in my opinion. It was rolling, but nothing that broke your will.
What would you do differently?:

Wear my SCUBA dry suit? Although I think I might overheat in that.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? Hell I needed to warm up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

uhh the hurricane like weather. That and I ran with my wife, so I knew it was a fun run for me anyhow.

Event comments:

I'd do the race again. It seemed like it would be a fun 10 miler.

Last updated: 2012-08-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:14 | 10 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 331/353
Overall: 3387/3863
Performance: Bad
none
Course: An interesting route through several areas of Annapolis.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes