General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf&Turf Aquathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf&Turf Aquathon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
Colorado, Denver
D3
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there early, talked to Matt and Mark, got my race number and chip and set up my T.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretching (Mark tells me not to do static stretches anymore) of high knees, but kicks, skipping, lateral hops. Then a short run with Matt, maybe about a mile or so. Then about 10 minutes in the water before the race started, maybe 400 meters or so.
Swim
  • 22m 59s
  • 1504 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was pretty happy with this swim. It was a bit faster than the last one and I just felt good. I was diligent about pushing harder anytime I started to relax and cruise, and I was better about concentrating on getting done quickly and not letting my mind wander.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, that's about how I want a 1500 meter swim to go, so hopefully I can carry that over for the big races like Nationals.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Not a bad transition, but maybe a little slower than it could have been. I feel a little dizzy coming out of the water after that length swim, and I had trouble getting my shoes on. Need to get faster here.

I might switch back to the elastic laces again. I keep going back and forth and can't get comfortable with either one. I think I need to just commit to one and get used to it.
Run
  • 22m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugggh, hot and freakin' windy. I felt like I just stuck my face in a blow drier on extra hot, and started running. My mouth was so dry my tongue was sticking to my lips and the roof of my mouth, and I just felt aweful. This is about as bad as I've felt running in a long time.

No idea, other than maybe put some water in T and then carry the bottle with me. On days when it's that hot, it might make sense to actually have some to carry during the run. It might get annoying, but it might be worth the trade off.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, eat fruit, drink gatorade, chat with everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and wind, but I can't let that be too much of an excuse, and I need to get more accustomed to the heat for Nationals.

Event comments:

Good overall race tonight. I beat my goal time by a healthy margin, and even though the run was kind of miserable, that wasn't a terrible pace considering the heat and wind. And of course, hanging out afterwards drinking beer was the highlight of the race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:59 | 1504 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back course this time. It was a little choppy with the wind, but not as bad as it looked.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:47
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:22:10 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Same.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-15 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Surf&Turf Aquathon

2006-06-15 10:37 AM
in reply to: #455156

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Surf&Turf Aquathon

Even with the heat and the wind on the run, wasn't your 5k a little faster than last time? Nice work. And thanks for the beers.

2006-06-15 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Yeah, I second the thanks for the beers, I'll bring  next time   And particularly, nice job on the swim last night. 
2006-06-15 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Nice race -  With it being so hot - The BT crew ROCKED!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf&Turf Aquathon Rss Feed