General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just purchased a IBIKE Newton + Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-07 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Just purchased a IBIKE Newton +
I wanted to start training with power and didn't want to spend huge dollars. I decided to go with the ibike Newton +. Now I will admit to going out on a limb with this but the science seemed sound. I have had it for two weeks now and and happy with the unit. Now I know what you will say, how accurate is it. Well last weekend I hooked it up to a teammates bike that has a SRAM Quarg. Happy to report that the ibike and the SRAM read to within 2% of each other over a 50 mile ride. A couple of spots where the difference was as much as 10% but those areas were when I was not pushing hard (going downhill). The set up takes a little doing but after that it operates as easy as any cycling computer.

Edited by Special K 2012-09-07 9:12 AM

2012-09-09 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4399959

Subject: RE: Just purchased a IBIKE Newton +

The iBke seems like it would work well for average power.  The problem is that you calibrate it using one position (ex. on the hoods/bullhorns or in the aerobars), and it has no way of knowing if you switched positions it a way that changes drag.

As long as you aren't shifting positions, seems like it would at least help you hold a consistent power output.

2012-09-17 5:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have had it for about 2 weeks and have put about 400 miles on it so far. The power readings seem pretty much on to me. Like I said in the first post, once I calibrated it I put it on a teammates bike with the SRAM Quarg system and the readings came back pretty much on, slight differences (about 2%), now as far as your point goes. Yes the reading change depending on the your position but it truthfully is not as big a difference as you might think. I find that I ride in either two positions for the most part, on the hoods or in the drops. So far at least I am a happy customer.
2012-09-20 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4402623

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Trath-L33T - 2012-09-09 7:42 PM

The iBke seems like it would work well for average power.  The problem is that you calibrate it using one position (ex. on the hoods/bullhorns or in the aerobars), and it has no way of knowing if you switched positions it a way that changes drag.

As long as you aren't shifting positions, seems like it would at least help you hold a consistent power output.

I've been using an Ibike for a year now and had the previous gen and now use the Newton Plus. Your statement is not true, the Newton has a powerful digital real-time CDA measurement so even if I'm riding on the aerobars and doing 250w, and sit up it adjusts immediately and if I were to continue riding at the same speed and cadence as before, the wattage numbers go up instantaneously to obviously reflect the more effort required to travel at the same speed, how it does it, I don't know but it does it well.  You can also save up to 4 different profiles with it, and if you chose to ride on the hoods of the bars, then just switch to that programmed profile and it will start recording the effort with those set parameters.  I have a TT/Tri bike and a road bike, and all that I need to do is swap the unit over to the bars and switch profile and ride. 

The software has a lot of features too, you can always adjust things after the ride, for example if you road your TT bike in TT position and had a different profile on... then you can just use the software to adjust the analysis.  I've never used any other PM system, nor do I have any interest... this power meter is an awesome tool, and great for pacing and analysis.  It also has many of the Training Peaks measurements at hand and in real time, TSS, IF, NP, AP.  The data can be used in the Training Peaks software too.  The only downside that I have found is that it doesn't automatically download data like a garmin or others and so you need to first download the file to their software, then convert and save the file, then reload into TP or whatever... I use Golden Cheetah to get more metrics that their proprietary software doesn't have.

That said, this is more of a gripe about folks comparing this unit to others... it's absolutely fair to compare the accuracy of the data, but IF most folks buy the Ibike b/c of budgetary restraints like me, then what point is it to even care about the other meters?  It's already been established that the data will likely be similar anyways within minute degrees... and we can argue about which method of anaylis is better til the cows come home.... to me why on earth anybody would use this unit when they've got the SRM or Garmin or whatever is beyond me.  Because once you set up the Ibike and establish FTP and training zones, those are YOUR zones, not anybody else's, and that's the point, SO what if there are 2 riders who both weigh 165lbs and have the same VO2max and ride the same bike and have the same body type, etc...  and one of them uses an Ibike and the FTP is 275w, and the other uses another system and his/her FTP is 280w???  It's those person's watts and useless to anyone else.

There are advantages and disadvantages with every system, I for one cannot afford multiple crank systems or wheel systems for every bike I own, so the Ibike is pretty versatile in that respect.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2012-09-20 5:05 PM
2012-09-30 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have now been using the IBIKE Newton + for about a month and about 700 miles. Love it...for the money. And as the previous poster said, once you have it set up and calibrated it is your profiles not anyone else's. For me the ability to move it from bike to bike to bike was the deciding factor. It really is as easy as simply attaching it, letting the device "find" your sensors (HR and speed/cadence) and you are ready to go. A really nice part is that even if you screw up, as I did yesterday on a 75 mile ride and put in the wrong profile, you can correct it after the ride when you download the data. Money well spent.
2012-10-21 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB

i'm trying to decide if I should buy one of these or not.  I can't spend the money on a powertap or other power meter so the ibike newton plus would be a good alternative.  

Sounds like it is a good choice.  

Two questions:  

Are the results fairly easy to interpret?

Did you find prices varied depending on vendor?

Thanks

Trudi

2012-10-21 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4462539

One option is getting a used, wired PowerTap (all the new ones are wireless ANT+).  The older ones can be had for <$400, including the rear wheel.

2012-10-23 3:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The results and the software that you download to are pretty simple and straight forward. Much like PT in appearance. One thing I like is that if I screw up and set the wrong profile (up to four different bikes can be loaded) when I am finished with the ride I can change to the correct profile when I download and save the data.

To your second point I ordered from the Ibike website, I have not seen them listed from any other site.

2012-10-23 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

I'd say that I'm in love with my Ibike Newton Plus.  I'm not affiliated nor sponsored, just think their product is great.  I recommend the product highly.  The software is easy to use, but the data takes time to interpret and practice.  I'd highly recommend getting Joe Friel's new power meter training book (for newbies), or the "Bible" of power meters, Allen and Coggan's training and racing with a power meter to further your study in the data that's available from the unit.

For me, when I bought it last December (previous generation to Newton Plus), my FTP threshold was 198w (about a 21 mph avg.), now it's 280w (about 25.5mph avg.).  I could have gotten faster without the power meter, but I wouldn't have gained 60% in power and 20% in speed without it, I'm convinced.  It's been a goal to exceed 300w FTP... and what does this mean for a race... remember POWER = SPEED!!!!  The power meter is also like a coach sitting on your shoulder during every ride, telling you to keep your watts and don't quit.

Get the meter and the book and go at it, train by it, and you'll get faster indeed.

I'd also recommend coupling the Ibike software with a free based software like Golden Cheetah, or you can pair it with the macdaddy of analysis software for a fee at Training Peaks.

2012-10-24 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
Thanks, that helps!
2012-10-24 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

On a related note Chainlove.com had the Powertab for $500 recently.

Given the cost of a iBike Newton, might not be a bad alternative...

2012-10-24 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4467441

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Really stupid question perhaps, but can you use it on the trainer?
2012-10-24 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Yes, the Ibike has a trainer function, and the software has the algorithms of a majority of the trainers and rollers out there, so you get accurate data from them, and a good thing about the Ibike is that if you used the trainer one day and left the function in trainer mode and went for an outdoor ride, you can fix it with the software and it will recompute for the outdoor ride.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2012-10-24 3:14 PM
2012-10-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4467613

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

tomspharmacy - 2012-10-24 4:13 PM Yes, the Ibike has a trainer function, and the software has the algorithms of a majority of the trainers and rollers out there, so you get accurate data from them, and a good thing about the Ibike is that if you used the trainer one day and left the function in trainer mode and went for an outdoor ride, you can fix it with the software and it will recompute for the outdoor ride.

Thats pretty cool. My issue with power meters is that I have 3 different "setups". I have my tribike with regular wheels. Then I have race wheels. Then I have another bike that sits on the trainer permanenty. So if training with power I would need a crank-based system to cover both sets of wheels for the tri bike (training and race) or two hub-based systems. And then another for the trainer. Yikes. This would work for all 3 it seems? Might be a good Christmas list item. Just hate to drop $600 on something if it is not accurate but it sounds pretty reasonable? How do you "hook it up" to your bike and trainer if you alternate between them? I mix it up a lot so anything that is too onerous would be prohibitive.

2012-10-25 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

I sound like a spokesman, LOL, but the trainer function is completely separate from the profile function of the Ibike.  The trainer function just computes the watts for your trainer, whatever model that is.  I use a Cyclops Fluid Pro, so I use that algorithm.  When I use the trainer function, it's just a couple of clicks to turn it ON, and a couple to turn it OFF.  Another great feature of the Ibike PM is that it has 4 preprogrammed training interval sessions: Fat Burner (Z1 and Z2 intervals), Cardio (Z2 and Z3 intervals), Tempo (Z3 and Z4), and Strong (LT and Ane),  these workouts are very tough in their own way... OR you can use the software and create your own custom interval training for use on the trainer or your outdoor ride, either way that you want to use them.  It also has open interval tab that I use a lot, that say if you want to just stick to 200w avg. for x minutes, then you can use that function, this is good for intervals by the seat of your pants, no structure.

The Ibike attaches simply with a turn of a thumb wheel on the bracket, you will need to get a bracket for each bike though.

There are 4 profile settings, you can calibrate 1 profile for your bike with training wheels, 1 profile for your race setup, or for a mountain bike or whatever else you have.  No extra meters or wheels are required... the only thing that you need extra is the speed/cadence meter that costs about $30 to $40 for each bike, since you don't want to be switch that thing all the time.  The speed/cadence meter is the same one that Garmin, Timex or whatever company uses, since it's made by one factory but emblazened with different logos, as long as it's Ant+, same with the HR strap. 

The Ibike is independent of cranks or wheel choices.  The Ibike has been established to be very accurate.  I use some online websites too that you can play with Cda, CRR, Temp, etc. and the Ibike shows very accurate data that correlates to those analytical websites.  Another thing with the Ibike is that it has a Cda function using the Chung model of analysis... it is again accurate and stable and correlates with other web resources.  So you can play with wheel, helmet and position combos to get an idea of a better aero setup, thus saving watts.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2012-10-25 2:27 PM
2012-10-25 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
tmason - 2012-10-21 4:54 PM

i'm trying to decide if I should buy one of these or not.  I can't spend the money on a powertap or other power meter so the ibike newton plus would be a good alternative.  

Two questions:  

Thanks

Trudi

The data can be overwhelming for a while, until you learn to interpret it and determine what it really means for your training... that actually took me about 4 months.  If you get a power meter, it's not a use-part-time device, it is a commitment, IMO.  Otherwise, it could be a waste of money for someone not committed to it.  That goes for any power meter on the market.

I'd just buy it from Ibike, since Iwas told by them that some unscrupulous retailers sell used units from employees at the shop.  At least when you buy direct, your instantly are registered as an owner.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2012-10-25 2:49 PM

2012-10-31 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4469337

tomspharmacy - 2012-10-25 12:25 PM

Another thing with the Ibike is that it has a Cda function using the Chung model of analysis

Really? That's interesting. I'll have to look that up.

2012-12-28 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4469389

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
tomspharmacy - 2012-10-25 2:49 PM
tmason - 2012-10-21 4:54 PM

Two questions:  

Thanks

Trudi

The data can be overwhelming for a while, until you learn to interpret it and determine what it really means for your training... that actually took me about 4 months.  If you get a power meter, it's not a use-part-time device, it is a commitment, IMO.  Otherwise, it could be a waste of money for someone not committed to it.  That goes for any power meter on the market.

I'd just buy it from Ibike, since Iwas told by them that some unscrupulous retailers sell used units from employees at the shop.  At least when you buy direct, your instantly are registered as an owner.

Wanted to thank you for your details on the IBike.  Best review of features/usage I've seen in my research. 

On the topic of retailers, its available on Amazon Prime.  I doubt they sell anything but new (unless advertised otherwise).

Edited by FranzZemen 2012-12-28 5:28 PM
2013-01-20 5:56 PM

This might be a dumb question...but I cant register on ibike's forums:

Is it a must that you mount the computer on your handle bar?

I'm looking to pick one up and I was looking to pair it up with a Garmin 800 as I need to follow some directions whenever I feel a bit adventurous. I don't like the idea of having to computers on my handlebar. Can I pocket the iBike?

2013-01-22 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4587116

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
g32ecs - 2013-01-20 5:56 PM

This might be a dumb question...but I cant register on ibike's forums:

Is it a must that you mount the computer on your handle bar?

- Where else were you planning to mount it? 

I'm looking to pick one up and I was looking to pair it up with a Garmin 800 as I need to follow some directions whenever I feel a bit adventurous. I don't like the idea of having to computers on my handlebar. Can I pocket the iBike?

- The I bike is autonomous, it picks up the signals from the cadence and speed meters then shows the watts... the garmin(s) pick up the signals from the srm, quarq or powertap hubs only (those devices do the number crunching), the garmin only displays it.  Does this make sense?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just purchased a IBIKE Newton + Rss Feed