Start 2 Finish Event Management
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 27m 28s
Overall Rank = 9/138
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Bagel, cereal, the usual. Walked transition and mentally went through everything. Pretty normal.
Event warmup:

A little jog and swim, but nothing much
Swim
  • 31m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Given this was my 7th swim this year (4 of them in races) I did OK. Was at 14:18 at mid way and thought I could break 29, but definitelly faded over time. Navigation broke down a little second half also.

This entire swim was based on muscle memory and form, I have no swim conditioning at all.
What would you do differently?:

Swim, I just never swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Overall a great transition. 4th best in race, 2nd best in AG. probably the only thing that slowed me down is that I was one of only a few wearing a speedsuit, so that takes a few seconds to get off (well worht it!)

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Another good bike for me. Only lost to the race winner in AG, and 2 other in the entire race. I still feel my bike is no where near where it could be, so that will do nothing but help me in the long run.

Not miss a turn.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Hard pressed to say anything about this T2 as i had the fastest time in the entire race. Coming in on the bike I had a guy from the sprint ahead of me (like Music City) but this time I passed him in the last few hundred yards so he would not get in my way. Did a great job getting out of the shoes, dismounting right at the line and fly through T2. My work to minimize what I do has really paid off. Struggled getting watch on, but I did that while running rather than in T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 47m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Obviously a tremendous run for me, overall 10k PR by 1:26. Really clicked into a groove and stayed consistent. Got passed by a 21 year old Sprint guy and a 33 year old Oly guy in the first mile, then just past 1.6 miles got passed by a 53 year old Oly guy. At this point I was running right around 7:40's and reminded myself to run my own race (given my 10k PR was 7:52 pace), but I tried to stay as close to him as possible and pace him.

At the turn around I was about 50 feet behind him, but was also able to see I was around 100 yards ahead of a group of 3-5, so I said to myself "nobody else passes you!" Back at the 4.2 mark I rejoined where the Sprinters were turning around and the only hill, but just kept this "acceptable level of pain" and was using sprinters as rabbits and picking them off one by one. Realized mid 4th mile I could clip 50 mins and by 5 knew I had the PR in the bag at , so I just sat back and drove it home!

Probably held back a little more than I needed to on Miles 2-4, just did not have the confidence in my run that I could maintain it. otherwise, nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really, just strolled around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Almost zero swim training in the last 2 years, the rain/wind on the bike and getting confused on the bike course. With those 3 fixed I think I could come close to, or even beat my Oly PR. That is good, becasue I honestly thought that was a PR I would never be in reach of again.

Event comments:

Overall a good race. Start2Finish does a great job with registration, food, transition and course.

Could have used more volunteers (they were begging), done a better job with bike course marking and traffic (last few miles were pretty dangerous in town, and awards ceremony (if you have a podium, use it!).

I like the wave start alot, hate TT starts and will continue to do S2F events becasue of that alone. Makes it so nice to know if you pass somebody in your AG you are actually passing them, and if a 25 year old passes you with a mile left in the run to know you are actually still 5 mins ahead of him (not that this happened).

Great job S2F!!!

Last updated: 2012-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 36/138
Performance: Below average
14:18 at mid point. Started to rain on way back, then changed to steady heavier rain with 200 yards to go.
Suit: Blue Seventy Speed Suit
Course: Counter clockwise loop. 1st half was technically with the current, but was against the wind so the surface of the river and waves were actually blowing in my face. On way back I could feel the current, but that may have been poor conditioning.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:01 | 24.85 miles | 22.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 4/138
At 1st turn around (7.5 Miles in) average speed was ~25.2MPH average, at 12 miles ~23.8MPH average. At mile 20 I got a little confused about the course (not marked great) and literally had to stop from 23MPH, turn around, ride back up a little hill and ask and officer, then got back on 'er. So that probably cost me 30 - 45 seconds.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Interesting course. First 1.5 was winding out of the park, slightly uphill. Next 6 were with a 5-10MPH wind at my back, slightly uphill, but really felt rolling. I really opened it up here getting my avg speed up >25MPH average. Then turned straight into a wind that was steadily increasing as the front was moving in and thought if I could maintain avg speed at 22 by mile 12, I would be good. Well, at mile 12 I was still close to 24 (23.8), and was under 30 mins so I thought 1:05 was achievable (knew second half was tougher). Second half of course started with a 2 mile CAT 5 climb where people were walking their bikes up, but even after that it climbed another 4 miles. Also, the wind and rain really picked up, so I had a 6 mile climb, into the wind and rain (awesome!). After the turn around it was mostly down hill, but the roads were so wet and freshly paved that I could not really kill it with risk of crashing, so I stayed at a dangerously comfortable pace. In town I was actually passing cars. Overall an interesting, challenging bike course. Could definitelly go sub 1:04 in the dry without the little course snafu.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:33 | 06.21 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 26/138
Mile 1 - 7:29:75 Mile 2 - 7:48:54 Mile 3 - 7:37:85 Mile 4 - 7:46:90 Mile 5 - 7:57:62 Mile 6 - 7:32:15 Mile 6.2 - 1:19:74 (7:02 Pace)
Course: Mostly flat, raining or wet the entire run. 1 good downhill (Mile 1.5) which was an uphill (mile 4.8)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-08 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Subject: Nashvegas Olympic Triathlon

2012-09-10 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4401552

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Nashvegas Olympic Triathlon
I agree with you about the bike course, there was a time when it got lonely out there and I wasn't sure I was on the right path except I saw empty GU packets on the ground. Great swim pace for not having swam alot!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nashvegas Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed