General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seattle Monthly Bike Rentals - good rep? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-08 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: Seattle Monthly Bike Rentals - good rep?

Hey there, I'm going to be visiting Seattle end of September and the transit system has my head in a tizzy. I'm considering renting a bike for the week. There's a placed called http://www.seattlemonthlybikerental.com/and it has only 2 styles of bike - a hybrid and a road bike - available for rental for what seems really cheap and includes free drop off. Is this a reputable company? Any other recommendations for either getting around (I don't want to rent a car and drive in a city I don't know!) or renting bikes?

Thanks!

2012-09-10 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4401588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Seattle Monthly Bike Rentals - good rep?

Where are you going to be moving?  Yes, welcome to Seattle.  The only place where a bus ride will cost you $6 and take you 2 hours to do the same in a car in 35 minutes for $2.

I hope this isn't a backdoor spam for a website?

2012-09-13 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

The website looked kinda sketchy...I think I'm gonna play it by ear and rent bikes only on the days I might want to do a lot of riding and exploring...I guess it's the bus for me the rest of the time. I'm having a heck of a time navigating the public transit system and all its various authorities. Wish there was a weekly pass for tourists, but that's not the case.

i'll be staying in a hotel in Queen Anne, so at least there's lots to do within walking distance!

If anyone has suggestions for fun (hopefully free or cheap) things to do or restaurant recommendations (good, fresh and local, not too snobby and overpriced) I'd love feedback from a local, or someone who really knows Seattle. Thanks!

2012-09-14 5:53 PM

User image

Seattle, WA

Yes, the bus system is quite a pain.  I've been riding since I was in college and still screw it up occasionally. 

For restaurants: Tom Douglas is a local restauranteur who has several great options downtown: Lola (Greek), Dahlia Lounge, Palace Kitchen, Serious Pie (Pizza).  These are all really great options.  I also like Toulouse Petit (Cajun) and it's on lower Queen Anne. 

If you want to venture farther from downtown, there's several cool neighborhoods in North Seattle.  Ballard has a Scandanavian feel, Fremont is hippy-dippy, etc. etc.  I really think exploring away from the downtown core is underrated by tourists, but that's probably due to practicality with our troublesome bus system.

I love this city and can probably go on and on about things to do and see, so drop me a line if you want more advice.

2012-09-15 4:43 PM

Master
, California

Any other recommendations for either getting around (I don't want to rent a car and drive in a city I don't know!)

Honestly, a car is exactly what I'd recommend.  The bus is good for getting around to city destinations but a car makes it much easier if you want to hit some of the parks and other outdoors-type stuff.

Bicycling is not something I'd recommend unless you have a local to show you around.  There ARE many areas with paved trails or bike lanes, but finding them is the trick.  Just biking around in the city itself can be really hazardous.

2013-01-11 12:17 AM

Hi, I just came across this, I run SMBR. We just started last year and the website is in need of some overhaul (in fact, your post here is convincing me of that as I write this), its been a pilot project to test out the market. But don't take my word for it.

http://seattlebikeblog.com/tag/seattle-monthly-bike-rental/

Hopefully next time you come to seattle our website won't be so sketchy, and, as one of the thousands of people who regularly bike around the city I encourage you to not be intimidated by the rain or urban environs, its a great place to bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seattle Monthly Bike Rentals - good rep? Rss Feed