United States
Georgia Multisports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/26
Pre-race routine:

PBJ toast and coffee...packed the night before, so I go on the road at 4:30. Relaxed setup and T-area. I talked with a few people and caught up with Tim from DMS. I was a little bummed not to have a few peeps at the race.
Event warmup:

Since I have not swum in a few weeks, I thought it was a good idea to loosen up the shoulders. I swam from the start to the first far buoy and back easy, stretched the shoulders, then swam out at race pace and back easy.

Since the speaker system was broken, we got spared all the prerace non-sense.
Swim
  • 27m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

4th in my AG...given my lack of swimming I think a 27 is about right. I really would like to get back to under 25 next season. I did a great running start and poured on the speed to the first buoy, made the turn and relaxed. I sighted perfectly on the long leg. I knew I did not have the best shape to overcome sloppy lines. I was picking people off, but a woman came by me really fast. I moved over and caught a draft for a nice part of the in leg to the beach. I lost her at some point. The sun was smack in our faces on the on leg and made sighting really hard.
What would you do differently?:

Since I have done very few yards this year, I have to accept the time. I did like how I felt and sighted properly.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Since it is long run from beach to T, I knew the key to a good T time was the run. I wish I could have gotten moving a little quicker out of the water. It was an above average time to my peers, but I know I would have done a little better

Run harder from lake to T area.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 51s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

First, I felt ok on the bike. My time was slower than last year for two reasons: got stuck behind a car not once, not twice but 3 times! I was so frustrated as the cars did not want to pass the rider up ahead and could not get by the car. One old guy just sat there with no on coming traffic and blocked everyone. Ugh. The official came up and I signaled to break the center line and they gave the thumbs up. Three breaks in rhythm really hurt. Also, I miss managed the ride back into the park. I slowed to take my feet out fo the shoes at the turn into the park road. I completely forgot that it is a few miles to T-1 from that turn. It made the last few miles slow.

I think my legs were good but I need to think about the course and make better decisions.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

This was among the fastest T-2. I did a fly leap off the bike and ran hard to my rack. Quick progression through the change and ran for the exit.

This was good. Since i have not done a transition since June and never practice, it was more than acceptable.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Let the melt down start. I knew by the first turn that I has no running legs. I tried to get the legs moving and the HR shot up to 160s which is not sustainable. So, I was trying to just manage it the best I could, but I got slower and slower. The good news is there was zero cramping issues! As I was running between 4 and 5, my stomach went sour in what seemed like 5 strides. A few minutes later I slowed and stepped to the side and yaked one big strong yake. Ugh. I few people running by asked if I was ok which was nice. Mentally, I shut down and just tired to finish as best I could. My stomach was cramped up the rest of the run. I think the heat and humidity just got the better of me.

I am not a good heat and humidity athlete. Given the conditions, I think I over cooked the bike and left the tank empty for the run. The conditions proved too much for that gamble.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked a little, got a coke and sipped it. The stomach settled down. I gathered my things and headed to the car. I felt bad for the all the racers still coming to the finish line. There was a stream of people leaving the course with all their things packed. It has to lessen the day when you see all of those people finished that far in ahead. or maybe that is the way I would think about and they do not care.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity. Lack of speed work on the run. Traffic on the bike course.

Event comments:

While I like Tug, this was not my favorite. The run conditions were bad and you can tell from the overall times posted by the racers.

Last updated: 2012-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:43 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:51 | 26.1 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-09-09 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tugaloo Triathlon

2012-09-09 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4401961

User image

Regular
Smyrna (ATL)
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Triathlon

Nice job. Sorry to hear about your troubles on the run. I was pouring ice and water on my head at each water station to cool down. 

I did see the stream heading out when I finshed - but could care less. I was in my own world in the last mile of the run.

Good luck in the B2B. 

2012-09-11 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4401961

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Triathlon
From what I've heard about conditions for the race, I think you had a good day. Anyway you look at it, it's just a practice race before the main event. Your training has been good and I think you'll be quite ready for a win at B2B.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Triathlon Rss Feed