General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My partner is way out of my league! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-21 9:08 PM

Jefferson City, TN
Subject: My partner is way out of my league!
Anybody else have a training partner who is way out of their league? After our first tri in April, my training partner has experienced a spike in fitness; running much faster and longer, riding faster and swimming farther... He has been running for several years on his own. We started training together this past January. I was starting from scratch. He was already running 3-4 miles (at about a 6.5 minute/mile pace). I struggled to finish the sprint while he did fine.

After our tri, I tried adding some speed work and did too much too fast. I had some shin splint-type pain, so I took some time off. Now, he's doing all three way better than me and I can't keep up. He's good natured about it but I still can't help but feeling like a weenie! It's almost like he's riding a Grey Hound and I'm still on the short bus. Consequently, I've been working out around the house by myself, at my much-slower pace. How do you deal with the issue of one partner being in so much better shape than the other one?

2004-06-21 10:09 PM
in reply to: #32879

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: My partner is way out of my league!
Many of my old running partners are much faster then me. I don't train with them as much as I used to. When they are going for an easy run, I will go for my speed work out with them. We still hangout from time to time. We still meet up at some races, but they are training at there pace and me at mine. Train with them on your hard days and find a new one on your easy days.
2004-06-21 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Don't let it get to you!!!  Some people can make fitness gains quickly and others need to take their time to do it safely.  It is frustrating, but keep working at your own pace.  Don't listen to anyone else, because you know what is best for you.  If you are injury prone, progress will likely take longer, but hey, you will be still out there doing it!!

Jen

2004-06-22 6:40 AM

Ashland, Ma
I have an old friend / training partner from back when we used to study martial arts together.....we worked out together regularly for about three years.............Life issues took us in different directions and apart recently I have gotten into this tri training from scratch and he has gotten into weight lifting in a serious way.........we cross paths regularly in the gym and often he will motivate me while grinding away on the TM and I will occasionally spot him or push him on some reps ...............we are each doing our own thing entirely but try to contribute to the others success when possible.................I guess the moral of the story is friends first, work at your own thing / pace / intensity / sport but enjoy the cross over time when available or like what we do we make time occassionally before or after a workout for a cup of coffee or just some catch up time.............he is also showing some interest in biking for the awesome leg workout ..............and as good for all of us I am doing some weght training ..............you dont have to be siamese performance twins to benefit from the company.............
2004-06-23 4:26 PM

New user
I train with my husband sometimes...his easy pacer run is a speed run for me. Or he will bike and I will run then drive to the swim hole where we swim together. You can still train together just find ways to do it. Soemtimes we warm up and cool down together and do our own thing in the middle.
2004-06-23 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Hey,

I have a few different training partners and what's cool is we each have our strong sport...and depending on what discipline we're doing the strong one is the focus/encourager to get the slower ones to try harder...it gets kind of compeittive, but in a good way....to push ourselves a bit more.

2004-06-23 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

When we first started running together (7 years ago), I was faster because I had been training for a year alone.  We still ran our long runs together and did speed work at the track, each at our own pace.  About two years ago, she improved greatly, while I had IT band problems.  Needless to say, I couldn't keep up with her.  But we alway kept a weekly run together.  This year, she is the one with medical problems and I am in the best physical shape since prior to my injury.  We still run our long runs together, and our speed work separately.  We basically keep each other going, because neither of us wants to disappoint the other.  That's the beauty of a training partner, not who is faster or slower, but a motivator and a friend. 

If he doesn't mind you being slower, I wouldn't worry about it.   You'll be surprised at how you'll improve running with someone faster than yourself.

Good Luck,

Evelyn

2004-06-24 11:24 AM

New user
My husband has been a runner and biker for over 10 years, so needless to say he is 2x as fast as me at everything because I just started training this January as well. I know that over time, I will be able to race faster and not struggle with sprints. I tell myself this often as it is difficult to not be faster NOW! I've done speed work too soon but caught it and rested before it got worse. You have to do what your body tell you to, and you WILL get faster if you keep at it and don't overtrain.

As a side note, I also started mountain biking this year and while my husband races and gets 6th place, I'm not even skilled enough to compete. I end up watching his competitions and although I'm happy to support him, I ache to be racing, too. So don't forget that there are many, many people who can't even finish a race! I think you're doing awesome!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My partner is way out of my league! Rss Feed