Lavonia, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports
Total Time = 3h 11m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Coffee. Bagel and banana. Gu 45 minutes before and scap.
Event warmup:

swam to first buoy on the corner and back to just get feel for pace I planned to use (nice and easy;)).
Swim
  • 43m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

For me, this was huge deal to just complete the distance all freestyle and not freak out. The layout was intimidating looking at from the beach and only added to my open water anxiety. I just reminded myself to just relax in the water and go from buoy to buoy.

Hit the water after a wait with the time trial start. Amazed to see the 20 minute swims exit the water before I even started. With the start, just made my way to the first turn and then went from marker to marker. I hit the halfway point and felt good and told myself - you got this. Hit the final turn back into the beach and I knew that I had it. Worked my way to the beach and exited the water with a fist pump. I had done it and had won for the day no matter what happened next.

This swim helped my confidence and really puts me mentally in a good spot for Augusta.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straighter and work more on technique. Was a wiggle worm on the course and just added time. But overall, a huge improvement from where I started with zero swimming in April and terrible technique.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

A bit of jog to transition - but I was not in a hurry. I just slow jogged to the bike and got my head right. Got out a couple good burps with all the lake water I apparently swallowed.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 59s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Thought the bike course was challenging with some rollers and a pair of good short climbs. Well marked and traffic was controlled when I was on it. Almost wiped on loose stone at one turn past the water bottle hand out station. Luckily was able to hold on after the back end slipped.

Legs were tired from training and I did not back off for this race. So overall, please considering I was far from fresh.

Just keep training. Love to do one with a good taper.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Not in a hurry. Jogged to the rack and changed out shoes. Forgot to take a scap. Oops. Foot had a couple wierd pains in the arch when I got off the bike, but they went away on the jog out of T2.
Run
  • 57m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Course was hilly and held back pace for the first three miles because the hills kept coming and I was concerned on having enough to finish. Ended up settling in at my early pace for the run (9 min pace) after 3 miles. I left some time out there and could have pushed a little harder in retrospect. It was hard to push mentally when I knew I was not going to meet my goal of sub 3.

Hard to say when I do these in a training schedule. Legs were tired and felt like I had more in me when I finished. But coulda woulda shoulda. Overall ok with it because I plan to use 9 min pace for Augusta.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, drinks, and food. I was starving and running by the grills in the park did not help.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was my first. So its a PR! But would like to do one with a taper and have fresh legs.

Event comments:

Thought the race was well done and recommend it.

Last updated: 2012-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:44 | 1640 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:59 | 26.1 miles | 18.43 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:17 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-09-09 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Smyrna (ATL)
Subject: Tugaloo Triathlon

2012-09-09 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4402284

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Triathlon
Funny that my swim is your run and vise versa... LOL.   I would love to have that run on Saturday.  By the way, really good sign that you can run that hard in that weather at the end of the day...you have more in there than you think.   The swim will come, just keep plugging away. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Triathlon Rss Feed