General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 35s
Overall Rank = 249/582
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/53
Pre-race routine:

I awoke at 4:15 am at the KOA campground and brewed some coffee. I was pretty tired, having driven up the night before through heavy thunderstorms and I didn't get to sleep until 10:30 pm. I drove to the race and picked up my race packet. Numbers on the bike, timing chip, and transition were set by 7:15.
Event warmup:

My group did not start the swim until 8:45 am so I had a bit of time to kill. This year the event organizers arranged for space to be available indoors at a local restaurant for racers to wait for their heat. It was a good thing too because it was 60 degrees outside with a stiff breeze. Chilly!
Swim
  • 16m 31s
  • 792 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim portion of this triathlon takes place at the north end of Canandaigua lake, at a recreational boat launch. The water is shallow for most of the swim, only getting deep near the outer buoys. Because of this, many competitors decide to "run" in the water for the first 300 yards or so. Others porpoise. I chose to swim the course and not run. Unfortunately, I swam near a runner and he dove in the water just ahead of me and kicked me in the face. It was a hard kick and I sucked in a bunch of water and momentarily lost my goggles. I took a minute to recover and kept swimming. I felt really good on the swim and my watch told me I was out of the water in 14 minutes, a new PB. The race time is a little deceiving because there is a 100 yard run between the exit from the lake and the transition area. Transition was farther from the water this year than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Not get kicked! Other than that issue I felt my navigation was good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

This transition was lengthy because I took time to put on my race jersey. I didn't wear a skin suit or tri top under my wet suit because, well, I'm fat and it didn't fit. :)

Get out of my wet suit quicker and get skinny enough to wear my tri top.
Bike
  • 49m 46s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed this bike course. Nearly 1/2 of the course is climbing with a couple of good descents later. And the view of the lake from the top of a small hill is really beautiful. The wind was very gusty at the higher elevations but I don't run disk wheels so it wasn't much of a problem. I rode conservatively because I wanted to save energy for the run. I drank 1/2 a bottle of weak gatorade on the bike and that was my only nutrition for the race.

Push a little harder on the bike, but not much. I felt good for the ride but I could tell I hadn't put much training time in on the bike this season.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I didn't get a chance to put speed laces on my running shoes so I took a few extra seconds to tie my sneakers. No big deal, I felt that this transition was pretty smooth.

Speed laces on my running shoes.
Run
  • 29m 24s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to push hard on this run and it paid off. The course was a little longer this year, closer to a 5K. I started off strong (for me) and didn't really suffer until about a mile and a half into the run when my right knee (ITB) started to act up. I just kept running hard, trying to stay with faster guys and gals. It hurt like heck but I didn't want to slow down. I didn't drink anything on the run but just dumped water on my head. Time was a new PB! Hot damn!

Try to get this ITB issue figured out. I know I could have run faster if it didn't start to seize up.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, walked around, eventually ate lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting kicked in the face during the swim, training time on the bike and ITB issues on the run.

Event comments:

The "Score This!" crew put on a great race. Well organized, plenty of food and water, and very good organization. Transition was in a new area this year and it seemed to work out okay considering the location.

Last updated: 2012-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:31 | 792 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/53
Overall: 239/582
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless wet-suit
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:46 | 13 miles | 15.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/53
Overall: 266/582
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A nice course with a couple of good climbs.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:24 | 03.17 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/53
Overall: 282/582
Course: Flat, fast course with the first mile run on a gravel trail. The gravel is very fine and comfortable to run on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-10 5:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-09-10 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4402913

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course
Good work pacing yourself!  Physical contact like that in the swim takes a lot to push through, Nice work on that!!
2012-09-10 10:24 AM

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
awesome job on limited training and a bum knee....p.r.'s rock
2012-09-10 12:08 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Nice race!! Congrats on the PB!!
2012-09-11 12:43 PM

Master
Canandaigua
Great job on the PR. 
2012-09-11 2:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed