North Hunterdon Rotary Club
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 41s
Overall Rank = 161/228
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race did not start until 8:30, so I was up at my normal time (5am)for the 20 minute ride to the site. Weahter was perfect.
Event warmup:

Got set up in tranisiton and went for a short run. Nothing special.
Swim
  • 19m 22s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went smmothly give that 1) it was a running start, which I had never done and 2) it was longer than I have done. First time with a wet suit also, and it was wonderful. As normal for me, it took about 300 meters for me to get a rythym. Once I rounded the bouy and saw the shoreline, I really fell into a good ryhtym and made good time in that 400
What would you do differently?:

Utilize the bouancy effects of the wetsuit better. Being the first time, I was kicking as I normally would. when I realized I didnt need to kick as often, I really found a rythym and finished strong.
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

First, the race is in a reservoir, which at this point of the year is lower than normal, which made the runout longer than normal......through sand. Anyway, transition for me was slow. The wetsuit slowed me down. Also, I have been fighting a pinched nerve in my neck (reoccuring issue)that doesnt allow me to push with my left arm (no issues when I swim, go figure). So, because of that, wetsuit removal was SLOW. could have been 30-40 seconds faster which is where MOP'ers were.

Not much given my physical limitations at the time
Bike
  • 54m 37s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Missed a few gear changes on the hill climb, but overall, happy with the ride portion. I feel like my biking is coming along well being my first year of riding. Avg speed is held down because of the climb.
Also, I was assessed my first tri penalty on the ride. Its a long story, but each time I tried to pass, the person I was passing would match my pace and I had to fall back in line. I guess I didnt get to the 3 bike lenghts before the referee on a motorcycle came up on us.I saw her writing my number down. Oh well.

Find some steeper hills to ride over and over.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Smooth Transition. Nothing special

Nothing
Run
  • 30m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

After the bike, the legs were feeling heavy. Tough to get going and it took a little longer than normal. I lost focus and concentration, so my time was impacted here

Not much, keep focus.
Post race
Event comments:

Plenty of energetic High School aged volunteers on the course cheering everyone on. They did a great job. Course is a bit odd as the parking lot is also part of the run course. As I left the T2, the early finishers were congregating in their cars, around tents, etc, but were on the course. I had to go around them as I started my run. At the finish, many people were loading bikes and trying to back out. At least by this point, people were looking out for finishers. Good race, but needs some marshalling in those areas.

Last updated: 2012-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:22 | 880 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/228
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back 400m each
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:37 | 14 miles | 15.38 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: The bike course is a tough one. Very hilly with a 800 ft climb between miles 6-8 (Category 4 climb on MapMyRide). Tough to replicate this hill on training rides, but I was able to make it up. Many people were walking. One guy infront of me was climbing at 45 degree angles across the road. The reward is coming back down the hill at 40 mph. Bike course is tough, but a good test for a tri.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:20 | 03.11 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Course: Flat to rolling hills. Mix of roads and dirt paths.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes