Set Up Events
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 16m 4s
Overall Rank = 170/304
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am and something very strange happened. I got a little dizzy and suddenly my whole body was shaking and I was doing everything I could not to fall down. My blood pressure has been low and I'm chalking this off to that, but definitely a little thrown off by this. Felt normal after that 5-10sec funk

Took a quick shower and ate some cereal, then kissed the wife and dogs goodbye. I got to the race site by about 5:15, and had everything setup by 5:45, so I just relaxed till 6:15 where I lubed up and did my final checks.
Event warmup:

Short run and stretch. Wanted to get in a quick swim, but I didn't get down to the water in time.
Swim
  • 42m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was the least of my worries for the event. Training has been somewhat consistent, and the water looked nice a flat. I started out in the middle of my wave and made some contact, but no serious kicks or hits. Got into a good rythem after about 500m or so and just chugged along. The waves were a lot larger than they had appeared to be and were a bit difficult, but I stayed pretty comfortable throughout. On the last stretch, I had trouble staying straight, most likely not counteracting the current.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Swim was slow, but I'm ok with how it went.
Transition 1
  • 05m 20s
Comments:

I was a little dizzy coming out of the water, but this happens to me during races. Goggles and swim cap off, and a jog to transition. Wiped my feet off (grass everywhere), socks on, shoes on, helmet on, stuffed nutrition into my pockets and I was off.

Run faster from the water to my transition spot.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 40s
  • 58 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to chug along comfortably and take in as much water/electrolytes possible. I had some serious muscle cramps on the run of my last HIM, so I've been working a lot on perfecting my intake on the bike. The course was hillier than I expected. It was posted as a flat course, but there were definitely some rollers in there. Performance-wise, I did about what I expected to do. Knees started to ache for the last 7-8 miles, but they held out (have been having some bad pains in my knee on some of my long rides, I carry a patella strap with me in case it flares up).

I know I can improve on my speed, just need to put in the intervals during training. Have held back a lot in training just nursing my knees.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Didn't dilly dally too much. Off the bike, changed shoes, and grabbed my race number.

Nothing really
Run
  • 2h 17m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the section I was worried about. over the past 6 weeks, I've only had 1 week of decent run training. Pulled my hamstring, and it wouldn't let me run for 1 month, then a week of very light running, and finally a week of some decent running, but still a bit light. I was expecting I might have to walk a lot if it decided to tighten up.

The course was basically two 6.5 mile loops. Each loop had 3 miles of shade, and 3 miles in direct sun (90degrees, sunny, and 80% humidity). First lap was great, no real pain, just tried to keep a slow and steady pace. Aid stations were stocked with ice and other goodies, so I took advantage of ice down my shirt. Shoes got sloshy, but that started around mile 1, so I just accepted it.

After the turn around, I started to feel the effects of the day. Mile 8 is when I wanted to walk, mile 9 I gave in, mile 10 I was struggling. From that point on, I would run as far as my body would let me, and walk when needed. I kept telling myself that my legs are working fine and that it was all mental, but really I was exhausted. At mile 12.5 I had my first muscle cramp, and it was the inevitable hamstring. It went away real quick, and I gave it a very light stretch. about .3miles to go I picked up for my final run. Came around the corner into the final stretch and my groin cramped a little, but was able to shake it off and finished with a jog.

Maybe should have addopted a walk/run plan being that my run fitness was a little off.
Post race
Warm down:

After I got through the finish, I got to the closes shade that I could find, and I crashed. I was in a lot of pain, and I had goosebumps all over my body. Downed some water and had a towel over my head. Sat up and fought some cramps, and finally got up and made it over to the food tent. Ate some mike & ikes, pizza, gatorade, watermelon, soda, and water. Once I was siting for a while and after some food, I started to feel better. By the end of the awards, I was feeling much much better. I think the heat got to me a bit, along with lack of fitness maybe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of fitness and my insane sweat rate. Super nervous about doing my first full IM at B2B, and doing this race made me realize just what type of bear this race is going to be. Am going to try to adopt a plan to get me through it. Maybe slower bike, and a run/walk plan.

Overall though, I was happy that I finished and that my injuries did not flare up. Also PR'd by 10mins.

Last updated: 2012-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:20 | 2112 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 11/29
Overall: 94/304
Performance:
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:20
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:40 | 58 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/29
Overall: 215/304
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:17:53 | 13.1 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/29
Overall: 155/304
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-10 1:43 PM

Subject: Patriots Half

2012-09-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4403908

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Subject: RE: Patriots Half

Great report! I got soggy shoes too... and some blisters.

Good luck at B2B... get some long rides in and consider a run walk strategy starting at the very beginning of the run. I wish I had. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriots Half Rss Feed