General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Without Limits Productions
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 01m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 am and had a Bonk Bar and banana.
Event warmup:

Swam for a few minutes to get used to the water and get my wetsuit adjusted.
Swim
  • 42m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up in the corral and noticed my Garmin had no readout. I had charged it last night and this was the first time I had gotten it wet so I think it's fried. So now I realize I have no way of tracking speed, pace, HR, etc. for the remainder of the race. Awesome. Anyway, I lined up towards the back as usual and had a great swim. Swam quite a bit of freestyle, as this has gotten better this year. Little trouble sighting on the way out into the sun. My goggles are orange tinted, not ideal for bright conditions. Quite a bit of bumping for the first 500 or so. Couple of idiots out there with no regard for others. At the turnaround, some guy stops right there to check his watch and catch his breath. Peed a few times during the swim, as well as before. Noticed that my Garmin now had water under the screen. Finished strong to the beach and had none of the chilliness or fatigue that I had last year. Actual swim time was about 41 minutes, or a few minutes faster than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Ordered mirror tint goggles.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

Missed the portapotties on the way up as I had to pee again. Had to put on knee sleeves and chamois cream. A little slow.

Tried to treat this like IM and this is what I would be doing.
Bike
  • 3h 06m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

So I started off having to pee terribly, so I tried to on the bike, which I have never done before. I managed to a little but it really slows you down and I had a ton of people go by me right away. Settled into aero on Quincy and felt good. Just past the turnaround a cyclist was down in the middle of the road and not moving. I ended up stopping and checking him out for a couple of minutes (he left in an ambulance, probable broken clavicle). About two minutes later, I dropped my chain and had to stop. Got back into my rhythm and was looking for the reported portapotty on course, which never materialized. At about 25 miles, I found an old building and relieved myself. This was nearly a record setting piss of atleast one minute. Back on Colfax and heading east Steve Maas caught me and we chatted a bit before he took off. Hit the headwind when we turned south onto Kiowa-Bennet Road. Last year I had a hard time staying aero here but this year was much better. The return on Quincy was also much better and really, I felt pretty strong through the whole ride. Towards the end, I started getting a twinge on the outside of my right knee, at the top of the shin. It wasn't bad and I rubbed it a bit, which helped.

Nutrition was 3 bottles of Infinit and 260 calories each, plus a gel at 1:15 and 2:30. This was an average of about 325 calories per hour. I never felt hot or thirsty and I drank very little of the additional water I carried. Total fluid intake was about 3.25 bottles.

Take away the numerous stops I made and my bike time was more like 3:01, closer to 18.5 mph and better than last year by just a few minutes.

Again, I was riding completely blind. I had my wrist watch on to keep track of time but had no HR or speed.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Better here. I had to swap my cycling knee sleeves for running knee sleeves. Out of the wind and off the bike, I noticed it actually quite hot out. Grabbed a water bottle with Infinit to carry with me for the run.
Run
  • 3h 06m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Hit the portapotties really quick to pee again and headed out. Legs felt ok right away, though my stomach wasn't as good as it was last year. My plan was to go out very conservatively and my first mile was around 8:45. My plan was to stay in Z2. Without a HR monitor, I know this to be 8:30-9:00 miles. Felt good through the first 4 miles and then started noticing some sloshing in my stomach. Started walking aid stations at 5 miles. The infinit was not going down well so I switched to water and Gatorade. I was now really starting to feel the heat, which I hadn't noticed at all on the bike. Hit the turnaround sooner than I expected (felt like forever last year) and this is where the wheels started to come off. My right knee started to bug me, but it was different than the knee issues I've been battling this year. This was more like IT band pain, just a little lower. My stomach was really starting to feel worse now as well. I also noticed that I wasn't sweating but between the wind and decreased effort I couldn't be sure if I was dehydrated or not. By mile 8, I was in a full fledged walk. I would try to run every now and then but either my stomach or knee would act up. Continued with water and gatorade and kept pouring water on my head to cool down. Sun was relentless and temp was well into the upper 80s. I needed to get this run done but couldn't do anything more than walk. My leg strength was fine; I wasn't fatigued. So at 1/4 mile from the finish, I suddenly hit the wall. Felt like I was going to puke and started getting dizzy. Had to lay down on the sidewalk and see if I felt better. Fortunately, other runners would stop and give me water, which I poured on myself and the wind helped cool me down. It was so bad the ambulance came out to check on me. I nearly quit right there. But I could literally see the friggin finish line so I stood up and started feeling a bit better. I ended up walking the rest of the way in and offically finished. Should have headed to the ambulance now and gotten a line but I just wanted to go home.

That's the million dollar question. 3:06 half marathon. Last year I ran it in 1:53. Very hard on the ego to go from 5:46 to 7:01 finish time.
Post race
Warm down:

Trudged to the car, changed, and sat in the air conditioning. Stopped at a gas station for a powerade and chocolate milk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run blew up in a bad and scary way. I actually felt scared when I borderline collapsed.

So what went wrong? I think mostly nutrition and then heat put me over the top. I do train often in hot weather, so I am acclimatized to it.
**Infinit has protein in it. Not anymore. Will order a new batch without it. **Pre-race was Bonk Bar (new) and a rather green banana. Will switch back to Clif bar and ripe banana. **Need to increase my water/fluid intake. I've been concentrating my Infinit into two serving per one bottle. Need to up my extra water intake or go to one bottle/one serving. **Will do my ride with a bike jersey and run with a running shirt to limit sun exposure. I'm quite sunburned today. **Will not carry a full sized water bottle on the course. It's way too heavy. Fuel belt with course provided nutrition. **I had no stomach issues last year with Cytomax, gels, and a bonk bar on the bike. May need to reevaluate what I use and consider getting some solid food in me on the bike. **Peed like 7 times. Three just before the race, twice during, once on the bike, once before the run. Swimming does make me have to pee more but this seemed excessive and I wonder if it contributed to later issues. Last year I went once after the swim and once before the run.

Event comments:

Still a great and well run race.

While my nerves were a 10/10 scale last year, this year I was very relaxed and confident. My training was ahead of last year. Having a good race until the run. My concerns for IM Arizona in November are huge now.

Last updated: 2012-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:27 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tyr Hurricane Cat 3
Course: Out and back V.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:06:00 | 56 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Performance: Good
?
Wind: Some
Course: Large rectangle
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:06:54 | 13.1 miles | 14m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: O&B along the reservoir. Aid stations every mile. No shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-10 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

2012-09-10 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4403911

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

Nice report. Sorry your run fell apart And believe me I know exactly how you feel with borderline collapsing. It has happened to me a few times during some of my long stuff and it is really scary...I get lightheaded and dizzy and wish I could just puke and get it over with but I don't...I just feel so out of it and fuzzy and need to lay down. I haven't figured out the problem but I know that if I eat and drink WAY more than I think I need to on the bike that usually helps. On the bike I aim for 1.5 bottles of infinit an hour (2 scoops per bottle) as well as a gel every 45 minutes.

Also, is your breakfast big enough? Try eating more during some long training days. I aim for 800 calories 3 hours before a HIM. It's such a long day that you really need to make sure you eat enough before it starts.

Do you take salt? If it was that hot out you were probably sweating out a lot of salt. Infinit has sodium in it and so do gels but I always supplement with 2 saltstick pills an hour, especially on the hot days. On the run you said you switched from infinit to water and gaterade. Gaterade has some sodium but not enough.

Don't let a bad run get you down! There's still plenty of time until Arizona. We'll be great!

2012-09-10 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Well, Todd... a 3:06 half marathon from you is unheard of.  Besides the obvious fact that your Garmin was out of commission... perhaps your HR was higher than you expected?  The symptoms seem to be indicative of a bonk.  What's your Infinit profile like?

Have you ever heard of Salt Stick Capsules?  I was always a huge fan of Hammer Endurolytes- these things are like Endurolytes plus.  They have all sorts of nutrients in them... they make long runs infinitely more enjoyable.  I would strongly recommend you try them.  Between working your butt off on the bike then running in the heat, I'm willing to bet your nutrition strategy was to blame.  Try the salt stick caps- they work.  I know I wouldn't be able to handle the amount of running I've been doing without them.

For what it's worth too- awesome job on the swim!  That's got to be your best swim ever, wasn't it?

2012-09-10 2:38 PM

User image

Elite

Wow... rough day. But huge props for gutting it out.

I checked my split at the swim turn around, but only because nobody else was around... so I don't think it was me.

I was looking for the same portta pottie on the bike course as you. That was a long ride.

Dude... I do not care what the research say... protein and races do not mix for me. Whey protein is very easy to take. The only protein I will take is a Power Bar peanut butter protein bar. It actually tastes good to me. As far as soy protein... makes me want to gag just thinking about it. I tried those "Roctanes"... big mistake. I pretty much keep it to sugar. Certainly for a HIM... I would eat a bar on the bike for a full, but that is it.

Dude, trust your training. You know what you have done, and a full will be a much lower pace. Nutrition and training alone do not ruin a race... an inadequate PACE for the nutrition, training, or condition is what ruins a race. We can all walk 70.3 if we had to. It was just a bad day. Without any data, you have no idea what you really did to what you "think" you did.

2012-09-10 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm hearing we ran 13.65 miles as well.  Normally not a big deal.  Yesterday it was.  Wink
2012-09-10 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

I meant to add this link, too.  This article was posted today:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2481&vote=5

2012-09-11 7:56 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

Well Todd...it's hard to say what messed up your run.  Too bad you did not have any heart rate data  because that would give you a good indication about when things started going south.  This stuff happens though.  My first marathon after hitting the 20-mile mark at about 2:20 took be about 90-minutes to do the final 10K.  SH^! HAPPENS!  Better this happen in your training then during IMAZ.

I have never tried Infinit.  When I did my IM I pretty much stuck with what worked in training, cytomax and or gatorade, power and cliff bars, gels, and bananas.  You still have a couple months before IMAZ.  If I were you, I would get you nutrition dialed in and don't waver from that for IMAZ.  Also, really pay attention to how you feel on your training rides.  Hopefully your HRM comes through for you on race day...but if it doesn't you want to be sure that you aren't spent from the bike. It's too bad that this had to happen during a race leading up to yuor IM.  But it's a learning experience and I would bet it does not happen again.  Shake it off and go kick some but at IMAZ!

2012-09-12 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for your comments.  I truly think I was underhydrated starting the run.  I didn't drink my normal 24 oz of water with my concentrated Infinit bottles like I normally do.  This meant I had 48 oz of concentrated carbs/electrolytes, plus two gels, sitting in my stomach.  Some research showed that my body would then divert water to my gut to try to process this, which further dehydrated me.  Coupled with the heat and excessive peeing (for some reason), I became very dehydrated and probably a little bonky (since I took little in on the run as well).  Good lessons to be learned here.
2012-09-14 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4405122

New user

I just heard what happened to you (from Jill via Erica). Got to take the info and get ready for AZ...This is yet another example of why I haven't tried to go beyond Oly distance. You are all amazing!

By the way...we will practice peeing on the bike...seriously, you haven't mastered that yet? I'll bring 1554s (New Belgium of course)...

Did they stick a needle in you? Sounds like you shrugged it off and did the Julie Moss thing... awesome.. I'll look you up on YouTube...

Still amazed you're doing all this! I will go to you, Soares, and Sigley for advise for 1/2 IM when I retire...Keep good notes.

TB
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed