Somerton, Arizona
United States
Yuma Triathlon Club
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did this race for a few reasons. First was because Preston had called me and said that he would do it with me. I have been trying to get more friends/family into Tri-ing with me so any opportunity to get someone else to join, I will always jump at. Second, I have not done such a small Tri. My first Triathlon, was about 115 people and that was the smallest one I have done. It is nice to be part of smaller local efforts. Third, and probably most important, I know I have a lot of kinks to work out before Ironman 70.3 California. I also know that any triathlon that I do, big or small, will help with all of the little details that go into racing and preparing for the race.
Event warmup:

Drove to Yuma on Friday after work. I didnt get off work until about 5:30pm so I rushed home, took a quick shower, finished packing and headed East. I met Preston and Leslie for dinner than went to Leslies house for the night. Race started at 6 so we were up at 4:30am (uggh) and left the house by 5. Before leaving, I got all my water bottles on my bike, my tires aired up and headed out. I didnt realize until about half way into the bike, but I forgot to eat my granola bar for breakfast (I would regret this later).

Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a small race (~25 people) and the swim was wave start in the local pool. I watched Preston go off too fast (he was in wave 3) so I made sure I took note to slow down and keep a good pace through the whole race. When my wave went off, I felt my heart rate jump way high, so I just tried to keep calm and swim my own race. There was a guy in the lane next to me that started fast and I didnt want to try to keep up with him, so I just kept steady. He got out of the pool about 25yards before me. After a quick 400 yards, I was out of the pool and heading to T1.

What would you do differently?:

Not much, had a good swim
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No Transition times, I dont know if transition times were included in swim or bike
I felt good here, just tried to get my HR down and get ready to bike. We had to run through grass to get to our transition area, so the grass stuck to my feet which made it more difficult to get socks and shoes on. Clothes on, socks/shoes on, helmet and sunglasses on and Im off!

Nothing
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

When I got on the bike, I went out and made the two right turns they had told us to, then crossed another street, but I was supposed to turn left. The course wasnt marked that well, so I probably rode about half a mile too far. I finally got back on course and just put my head down and rode. I kept looking around for other people, but didnt see any. I had gotten out of the pool MUCH faster than anyone else so all I kept telling myself was to keep pedaling. At about mile 4, my stomach started to bug me. I knew I had been drinking plenty of water and the heat wasnt a factor at this point, and thats when I realized I had not eaten my granola bar. I saw Preston about half a mile from the turn around so I was planning on trying to catch him, but at about the turn around, my whole race went south. My stomach hurt more and more, so I switched from water to gatorade hoping that having some sugars to digest would help, but it didnt. I got off the bike two times, once trying to stretch out and change positions for a minute hoping that would help, but once I got pedaling again, I was sick again. with about 3 miles to go, I had to get off again. This time I threw up. It did make me feel a bit better for a while, but I lost my lead and fell back to 3rd in my division.

Eat Breakfast
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

When I got back in, one of the girls who had passed me in the last mile was still in T2. We left right at the same time because I was faster at transitioning (even though I was still sick)
No transition times, time included in either bike or run

Nothing
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I started off trying to jog, but that didnt work. It just made it worse. In fact about half a mile into the run, I threw up again. Soo frustrating that forgetting breakfast can affect me so much. After that, I was feeling better and could jog for a little bit, but not too long. The rest of the race was a walk/jog effort until the end. I did start feeling better toward the end, but it was too little too late. The last part of the run is two laps around the outside of the park and one along the inside so I met up with Preston and Leslie (Preston was starting his second lap around the top as I started my first). So we walked/jogged together for one lap and I jogged the second lap as Preston went in to finish.

Eat breakfast, dont get so hot
Post race
Warm down:

I just walked around and ate some Watermelon. The race course was well stocked with water, but they had run out of water bottles at the finish by the time I got there. There were still plenty of people coming in too. Preston, Leslie and I talked to a few people, then packed up our stuff and headed back to Leslies house for a quick shower then drove home, but not before scarfing down an In-N-Out burger. I actually still felt a little sick until after I ate.

Event comments:

Good race for a small town race. Its nice to be able to jump in on these smaller races to support local organizations.

Last updated: 2012-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.5 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on country roads
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Surface streets through Summerton
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-09-11 3:12 PM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA
Subject: Tower Triathlon

2012-09-13 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4406355

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Tower Triathlon
you know what, good to get out and do whatever, you are right on that. Good stuff.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tower Triathlon Rss Feed