General Discussion Race Reports! » Delaware Diamondman Triathlon - Half Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Delaware Diamondman Triathlon - Half Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bear, Delaware
United States
Piranha Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 57s
Overall Rank = 65/172
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

Well I decided to drive to the race on Sunday, so got up at 2:45 got ready had a waffle and some gatorade, and off I went. It was about a 50 minute drive, when I got there I was expecting it to be loud and motivating....um no I was there before any of the Volunteers were there, it was pitch dark. haha, they started rolling in at 5:15 am. So took a power nap before transition opened
Event warmup:

I stretched and thats about it, I went to the race solo so I could keep the distraction of family adn wife and dog out. Plus this was a final prep for IM arizona in NOV.
Swim
  • 40m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was good overall,I kinda kust took my time at the start and didnt really start swimming for about 30 seconds later to let some of the crowd clear out. my deltoids were getting very tired, due to the wetsuit. It was the first time I had ever used a full sleeved wetsuit, and I think I didnt pull it up high enough to give my shoulder more flexability. It hurt my time a bit becasue midway through I had to slow down bc I wanted to make sure my arms didnt gas out. The 1/4 mile run from the end of the swim to the bike was also included in our swim time....I clocked 37:07 at he end of the swim which is agreat ime for me
What would you do differently?:

Practice with my wetsuit, actually start swimming when the gun goes off rather than sitting back and waiting for things to clear. Also need to work on my sighting, at times I felt I couldnt see the buoys, thugh might of been due to the glare.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

I need to speed up this proces, I have been practicing my transitions to be under 3 minutes, but not with a wetsuit which added some time. Need to get out of transiotn in 2:30 or less come Ironman

have some urgency
Bike
  • 2h 50m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was flat and windy at times, but it was just like wher a trained, it felt like a training ride. I need to be more aggressive on passing and have to push the pace a little more. I also need to work on changeing gears and pushing harder on descends.

Well I ran out of gatorade perform prior to my race and thought I had enough for the race. Turns out the mix I had made tasted like water, so I didnt really get enough electrolyes which I felt later on the run. I think I need to also eat some more calories on the bike, I had chomps, perform (really just water) and an EFS shot. I should probably add a cliff bar and another efs shot
Transition 2
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Need to pick up the pace, I just stood around for a minute looking at whose bikes where back and see how many people I need to catch to get top 1/3 in my age group

hurry the heck up
Run
  • 2h 00m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I had some issues with blisters formiing in mile 5, due to the socks I was weraing and I didnt use any glide on my feet. I started feeling my hamstrings on mile 12 but nothing to stop me from running. One of my goals was to run the whole time and not wal the aid stations, which I did. I could of went a bit faster but at times there was so much mud that it was better to slow down and be careful when passing these area than risk sliding or falling. In the last 1/3 of the run, I began pacing with a Philly tri member....he paced a little than I did. at the turn around heading in the final 3 miles I picked up the pace until the last quarter mile where I picked up my pace though it seemed alot farther than I though to the finish line, at pne point I was like man where the heck is the finsh....

Wear different socks, I should of wore my balegra socks I wore at chesapeake man. Put glide on my feet in trans 2. Pick up the pace in mile 4, I was running am 11:50 at one point for no apparnet reason....
Post race
Warm down:

stretched a little, ate some food,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

blisters, wetsuit,

Event comments:

Great race. though very dissapointed that the bike was 4 miles short. Now I can really accept this time as my HIM time because in reality it wasnt an HIM.....so dissapointing but I guess its a good confidence booster and has given my areas I need to work on before IM Arizona

Last updated: 2011-10-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 66/172
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full sleeve
Course: A straight out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:36 | 56 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Overall: 115/172
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was flat, with some small hills, mostly smooth road except for one part which was going through some road construction. The course was 4 miles short (52miles) so that was disappointing to find out, but the run was long (.25) so it may have all evened out....haha. But it was a solid bike ride, I averaged 18.2 mph, which was a pesonal best for me (mph based on 52 not the 56)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:00:34 | 13.1 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 33/172
Performance: Good
Course: A two loop trail run that consited of running on trail, pavement, corn fields and grass. It had some inclines, that felt harder after the first loop. But it was a nice run....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-11 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon - Half Course

2012-09-13 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4406414

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon - Half Course
wow, you get up at 3 am to do this. Wow, nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Delaware Diamondman Triathlon - Half Course Rss Feed