Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-12-02 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4518515

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
Subject: RE: HIT Palm Springs

chrismcturnan - 2012-12-02 2:51 PM Just got home from La Quinta.  Excellent race, support was mediocre for the sprint but hey....its a sprint. The water was awesome, I used my sleeveless and was fine.

Chris, sorry to hear the support was lacking for the Sprint.  I did the Half and it was great, in fact the people I talked to were commenting that it was probably the best race most of us had done from the point of organization and support.  Had to love the transition right?

2012-12-02 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4406692

User image

Veteran

I just got home from the race. I am gassed. The Open for me was a pure sufferfest. I redlined the whole way (well on the run that is not very fast) and wound up taking 1st in my AG (35-39).

For the sprint, I was slow pretty much. Very satisfied with my bike and stuff. I will finish my race report soon. Time for me to get a beer and relax. Good job everyone. 

Also, from my POV, the volunteers were awesome and A+

2012-12-03 9:25 AM

User image

Los Angeles

Congrats to all that did the race.  

Spjon- congrats on the AG win in the open.  No matter what your times are I think it's great that you participate in triathlons and enjoy seeing you at triathlons for the last 3 yrs .  I hope I ll always see you at HITS or Race At The Base, or even IM Arizona.   Keep it up.  Great job again.

ChrisM- I am in awe and inspired by him.  He was a few seconds from a podium finish, not in clydesdales since he isnt anymore, but in his age group.  I think its great the jump he has made.   

I had fun at this year's race.  It seem pretty well run with the exception of the 14.1 mile miscue in the Half.  

Almost forgot the most important part, thank you volunteers without you, we cant race.  I thanx'd everyone, as we all should. 

Edited by bad91 2012-12-03 9:27 AM
2012-12-03 12:35 PM

User image

Thanks Brent, sorry I missed you out there.  I am of two minds on the race.  Well put together, good support, generally well run, PRd the Oly distance (although the run may have been a bit short), biked well above what I thought possible.....

The bad....  The oly run course turned left on Madison for an out and back and was supposed to be on the curving sidewalk path.  At the pre race meeting the RD said they did not have a permit for the street, and the course was on the path.  The aid stations were on the path.  It was pretty clear where the run course was.

I saw 15-20 guys running on the street, meaning they were running straight, while we were running the curves.   Including specifically one guy in my AG who ended up on the podium.  I had a great day and am thrilled with my race, so it's not just sour grapes, and I don't think I could beat this guy even if he ran the correct course.  But, maybe I would have podium'd? 

To their credit, the overall race leaders all ran the correct course, I was fifth running out of T2, so I saw all of them, and many more, run right by me.

There were no signs on the course, and no marshals/officials to either penalize people or tell them to get on course.  That was left up to us.  When I saw the first guy (who turned out the be in my AG running the street), I just shook my head, and didn't say anything.  I debated whetehr I'd report the number to the RD, but decided I wouldn't, but would just bring it up.  then another, and another, then a small group.  I actually started calling people out and telling them they were off course and cheating by running a shorter route, couldn't hold my tongue anymore.  Saddest thing was all but one just kept on going even after being told.

2012-12-03 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
ChrisM, still have yet to meet you at any of these races. I stayed on the sidewalk as much as I could on the run (seemed to only be about 3/4 of a mile to a mile at most) but there was that one section where it ends going into the park. Personally, I thought that running on the sidewalk was easier. I hope the photo guy did not think I was being a jerk when I jokingly said "If you take a picture of my rear it could break your camera." He had a scowl after I said that, which if he reads this: I meant that as a joke with no offense to you or the job you were doing.
2012-12-03 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Yea I made sure I had my sexy look before he took a photo of me.  I was camped out over at the RV camping so all I had to do in the morning was ride over to transition.  I kinda boogered up the swim.  The women were passing me until I unzipped my wetsuit so I could breathe.  After that game on.  I caught up with the men before the sprint turnaround and I think I was riding a bit too hard.  Sorry I coudnt stay for the open, my babysitter was blowing up my phone so I had to leave right after I cooled ater finishing.  Whens your next race, I am actually thinking about doing either the ITU in San Diego or the Superfrog on Coronado.

2012-12-03 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4519594

User image

spjon25 - 2012-12-03 10:47 AM ChrisM, still have yet to meet you at any of these races. I stayed on the sidewalk as much as I could on the run (seemed to only be about 3/4 of a mile to a mile at most) but there was that one section where it ends going into the park. Personally, I thought that running on the sidewalk was easier. I hope the photo guy did not think I was being a jerk when I jokingly said "If you take a picture of my rear it could break your camera." He had a scowl after I said that, which if he reads this: I meant that as a joke with no offense to you or the job you were doing.

Like ships passing in the night....  

Honestly the sidewalk offered some shade relief, but it was definitely a longer course.  And running on concrete.  But the section on 58th where the sprint course goes was not as much of a difference between the path and the street (and yes, the first mile or so wa all on the street, then the path started).  If you look at a map of Madison though, where the Oly went, the path is much curvier than the street.  And the written course map says left "on sidewalk."

There was a street marking in purple chalk or something where those white indicators ended, and then cones, directing the run path onto the sidewalk, but that was not very clear as compared to the Oly.  Plus I'd have to ask the Oly racers on the street, why would the top 10 people overall be running a longer course, while you (royal you, not you Jon) get to run a straight course?

I would have expected the race to have some officials out there, otherwise they might lose their permit (which was supposedly restricted to the path for running).  there were no signs, no officials.... 

2012-12-03 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
There were literally no officials that I saw....except for the cops directing traffic which were gone before I even passed the corner to Madison.  There were still bikers coming in too
2012-12-03 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4519642

User image

chrismcturnan - 2012-12-03 11:03 AM There were literally no officials that I saw....except for the cops directing traffic which were gone before I even passed the corner to Madison.  There were still bikers coming in too

You're right, come to think of it, there were no course officials at all on the bike either, just the moto leading the first overall

Honestly did not see much drafting though, surprising given the mass start and the course.

Edited by ChrisM 2012-12-03 1:14 PM
2012-12-03 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Well this was a pretty good last race for the year.  Signed up for the Seal Sprint in March so see everyone next year.
2012-12-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4519653

User image

Veteran
Irvine
ChrisM - 2012-12-03 11:10 AM

Honestly did not see much drafting though, surprising given the mass start and the course.

The event was well put together, transition set up was 1st rate, the HITS people were great...they just needed officials on the course. The run course for the 1/2 Iron ended up being about 14.1...the poor Full Iron participants had to run over 28 miles! Not a fan of running on the sidewalk either, that sucked....but overall they did a good job.

There were plenty of people drafting, including a few draft packs of 5-8 riders, all over the 1/2 Iron course. I could not believe how blatant it was! Disgusting cheaters!! No officials to speak of. 

I yelled at a pack of 6 to 8 guys who were all drafting in a tight pack somewhere around mile 9-11...as I passed them! I informed the guys who were at the turnaround point but who knows if they did anything.

It was just crazy to see some groups (men and women) riding wheel to wheel in small pace lines....no ethics or morals.

2012-12-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4519735

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
obohlman - 2012-12-03 11:47 AM
ChrisM - 2012-12-03 11:10 AM

The event was well put together, transition set up was 1st rate, the HITS people were great...they just needed officials on the course. The run course for the 1/2 Iron ended up being about 14.1...the poor Full Iron participants had to run over 28 miles! Not a fan of running on the sidewalk either, that sucked....but overall they did a good job.

There were plenty of people drafting, including a few draft packs of 5-8 riders, all over the 1/2 Iron course. I could not believe how blatant it was! Disgusting cheaters!! No officials to speak of. 

I yelled at a pack of 6 to 8 guys who were all drafting in a tight pack somewhere around mile 9-11...as I passed them! I informed the guys who were at the turnaround point but who knows if they did anything.

It was just crazy to see some groups (men and women) riding wheel to wheel in small pace lines....no ethics or morals.

I agree about the drafting, I saw a lot of groups as well and not an official in sight.  Personally I would rather be slow than knowingly cheat.

The good news is that because several of the Half athletes complained about the length of the run course the officials and a couple competitors I spoke to said they were able to get it fixed for the Full distance, not sure that is true or how they did it, can anyone confirm?

2012-12-03 5:55 PM

Veteran
I did the full and saw tons of drafting. I literally saw the same people drafting on all three loops. One group seemed to be on a team, because they all had the same race kit on, and they were being led by a camera man in a van. They basically were about 10 feet behind the van for long periods of time. That and they were drafting off each other. Definitely lots of drafting. I'm just excited that it was my first ever tri and I came in at 12:00:06. Although pissed I missed sub 12 by six seconds. Also didn't love the mass swim start. Had to sit and wait on the beach for a minute or so until everyone could get moving. Overall though, I loved the experience and would do it again. Josh
2012-12-03 8:42 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Stut, confirmed.  They were notified during the Half and the course was changed before the Full people started their run.  

This is my take on the drafting, cheating etc...  it sucks to have an idiot drafting or cutting a course.  I ll be frank but I just worry about myself and try to swim, bike, and run hard as I can.  I am not going to let one of these idiots get me out of my race.  I try and keep focused on my task.   Eventually they will be caught, maybe not this time but in others.   I dont know if this is a good or bad philosophy to some but its good for me.   Lastly, yes it is BS if someone podiums but to me its on them.

2012-12-03 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I raced the half and won my age group. 

I was disappointed in the race.  It was crazy that we needed to swim two loops for the half.  They needed to expand the swim course to allow for a one loop half swim.  The bike course needed more/better aid stations.  There were no race officials and TONS of drafting.  They needed someone out there to break this up.  The run course was over a mile too long.  The aid stations on the run course were sometimes 1.5 to 2 miles apart and I did not see any port-a-potties on the run course.  I did like the transition area and the after race party was nice.  The finish medals didn't say the race or the race distance - they were just generic HITS medals.  I like the idea of the HITS race weekend, but they have a lot of work to do. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIT Palm Springs Rss Feed  

of 3