REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 09m 39s
Overall Rank = 81/714
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/43
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 made some coffee and ate some yogurt then headed to transition to set up. Was back at the cabin by 6:15 and then made some oatmeal, had a banana, put on my tattoos, and munched on some trail mix until about 8:00 then headed out to the beach.
Event warmup:

Didn't do any specific warm-up besides jumping around.
Swim
  • 31m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Positioned myself smack dab in the middle with one person in front of me. I figure this is the best place to catch a draft. My plan was to take it light until the first buoy, hopefully drafting off of someone while my arms get properly warmed up since I didn't get a chance to splash around before the start.

Started dolphin diving when the gun went off. Somewhere around the fourth or fifth dive, I dove straight into someones foot. Minor impact, but I decided to just start swimming from there.

Managed to snag some feet and was off at an easy effort. Around half way to the first buoy the guy started to slow down so I moved past him and onto the feet in front of him.

Made the turn around the first buoy fine, still cruising on a nice draft when the guy suddenly veered way off course, not sure why, but I was on my own at this point. I was pretty much caught up with the stragglers from the previous wave and didn't see anyone I'd like to draft off, so I put it in cruise control to the finish.

What would you do differently?:

Not too much, good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Everything wen pretty well, had a bad spot. Pretty much as far away from the bike exit as you can get.

Wetsuit came off easy, helmnet on, socks on, bike shoes on, took a GEL, and left.

Taking the gel on the bike would save me 10 seconds. Learning to do a flying mount would save me a little time. A better transition spot would save me a couple seconds, but I can't control that.
Bike
  • 2h 44m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice even splits. Pretty happy with this ride, faster than my goal by 5-10 minutes. Not too much wind. Pretty uneventful ride, held a nice steady pace, and actually got to pass quite a bit of people for a change. Biking has traditionally been a major weakness for me.

Eased up a bit on the last 5 miles to let my legs prepare for the run.

Took 1 GEL every 45 minutes starting in T1. Took an endurolyte every 30 minutes, starting at t1+30.

Take an endurolyte every 15 or 20 minutes, starting in T1. Got into some trouble on the run.

Maybe slow it down in general just a tad.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Pretty simple transition, Rack bike, helmet off, running shoes on, grab race belt and go!

Not too much, could save a lot of time if I left my shoes on the bike instead of running in them and taking them off in transition.
Run
  • 1h 49m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal pace was ~ 7:45. Started off feeling pretty good, running an easy 7:30 pace, thinking I was gonna do really well! Until about mile 3-4 when I started to get a tinge in my right quad. Tried to ease up on the impact and a tinge in the left quad started to appear. Eventually, by about mile 5 both quads were totally locked up, and at this point I was in damage control mode. I was not very happy since I still had over 8 miles to go and knew I wasn't going to have a good run.

I walked each aid station, and took a salt tablet, with some cola/water/gatorade, whatever I felt like at the time, but it was too little too late.

I think the problem was a combination of going too hard on the bike, and too little salt replacement.

I was glad to cross the finish the line.

Higher endurlyte uptake, continue nutrition plan onto the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the park riding roller coasters.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps on the run.

Event comments:

I like this race, I did the aqua bike in 2010 and I wish they would put the finish line back in the park, there was definitely more energy that year!

Last updated: 2012-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:27 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/43
Overall: 35/714
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:59 | 56 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/43
Overall: 92/714
Performance: Good
Bike Split 1 (1:06:22, 20.34 mph, 22.50 mi) Bike Split 2 (1:38:37, 20.38 mph, 33.50 mi)
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop course through the country side. Mostly Flat and a minor but steady wind.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:49:02 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/43
Overall: 81/714
Performance: Below average
Run Split 1 (32:58, 07:38 /mi, 4.32 mi) Run Split 2 (22:60, 08:35 /mi, 2.68 mi) Run Split 3 (53:03, 08:42 /mi, 6.10 mi)
Course: Winding course through downtown Sandusky. Pancake flat except for one small hill on the causeway to Cedar Point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-11 9:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

2012-09-12 5:48 AM
in reply to: #4406851

User image

Chagrin Falls, OH
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev
nice race, good times!
2012-09-12 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4406851

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

Nice job! 

Bummer about the cramps.  It's tricky to take endurolites when it's not hot out.  I always forget on the bike when it's cooler. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev Rss Feed