90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 03m 45s
Overall Rank = 138/
Age Group = 35-45
Age Group Rank = 28/
Pre-race routine:

Not so much routine!
Woke up around 4:45 at local hotel. Cleaned up, loaded car, woke up my familiy and suddenly realized it was allmost 6:00!!!!
Raced out the door, grabbed some coffee and banannas from the hotel lobby - Quick stop at the 7-11 for donuts for the kids and rushed around the race parking lot like a fool trying to get to transition with enough time to warm up.
Event warmup:

Managed to get transition set up just before it closed. Marched down to the swim start and swam maybe 50 meters before the race start.
Swim
  • 43m 23s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start was a little chaotic and packed tight as the first bouy was not far off shore. Rounding the first bouy was a bit of a melee as everyone arrived together. Wasted too much energy avoiding getting pummeled.

Water was very murky and choppy. Felt like I was fighting the current both ways. Between the chop, current, hazy skies, lack of visibility,and my own myopia without my glasses, I think I probably had a very zigzag swim. Didnt really see the bouys until I was right on top of them. Even though I could see the paddle boarders and knew I was on course (somewhat)I felt like I was alone on the swim course often which made me a bit tentative. Every so often i'd pass a block of stragglers from the earlier waves which helped orient me, but overall my sense of direction was definitely off.
What would you do differently?:

Had a lot of energy left that I didnt spend on the swim. Should have swam with more confidence despite not being able to sight the bouys.

Need to practice sighting in bad visisbility conditions.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

Slow transition, pretty much took my sweet time. added in the task of putting on my heart rate monitor and GPS watch for the first time durrign a race.

start the GPS watch at the start of transition so it can find the satelite sooner.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 10s
  • 58 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike considerign I crashed at the first water station.
Made the mistake of trying to finish off a water bottle beforfe the exchange. Came in a little too fast and the rider in front of me slowed to take the first bottle. When I braked to avoid him (left handed only - drinking from my right) I lost it and hit the deck pretty hard.

luckily i was not hurt, and the bike only had some road rash - ripping all the bar tape off my right pursit bar.

Got back intot he race and held a steady pace the rest of the way, but avoided the remaining water stops.

Never enter the water exchange WHILE drinking from my water bottle, AND while tailgaiting other riders. DUMB.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Not bad considering I stopped to use the portapotty.

Amazed how strong my legs felt.

try to move a little quicker. Definitely took my time.
Run
  • 2h 11m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

ugh... disaster.
My legs may have been strong, but my stomach was a mess.
By mile 1 I was hit with a wave of nausea. The sun came out right around the same time and I could feel the heat sapping all my energy.

Ran the first 6 miles sick as a dog, my legs the only thing that was keeping me going. Lots of ice, water and heed at every station as I walked all the water stops in this part of the race. At mile 5 I stopped taking in nutrition (blocks and gu) as i didnt think id keep it down.

After mile 6 my body started to recover, I picked up the pace and managed to stay moving through the next few water stops. If I had stayed on track I would have definitley hit my goal of finishing well under 6 hrs. went back to taking in nutrition in small doses.

With two miles left to go the heat did me in. I started getting chills, lightheaded, and my arms and fingers began to tingle like they were falling asleep.

I kept my legs churning and crawled the last mile or so through the finish.

Not sure if the heat is what casued my nausea or if it was a combination of heat and nutrition.

I took in pleny of calories and electrolites, never had any cramps and felt well hydrated. But my stomach was a disaster.
Post race
Warm down:

foot ice bath, streching out on the ground (where i managed to pick up chiggers...lame).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat - i think.

Last updated: 2012-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:23 | 2112 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:02:10 | 58 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:05 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-12 10:08 AM

Subject: Patriots Half

2012-09-13 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4407457

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Patriots Half
holy smokes, nice run, ha, and you crashed on the bike, are you kidding me. Wow, talk about HTFU. Awesome. Great job.
2012-09-14 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4407457

Subject: RE: Patriots Half
Nice RR.  The heat was definitely brutal that day.  I had the same problem, chills and goosebumps all over towards the end.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriots Half Rss Feed