General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Turning 50 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-12 3:33 PM

User image

England
Subject: Turning 50

Hi my name is Nicky. I have been competing in triathlons for 5 seasons, mostly sprint with about 4 olympic. I turn 50 next May and feel I need a goal to keep training for good health. Tonight having found this website whilst looking for free programmes, I realised I must be committed to training for my 1st and I would think only half ironman, or woman for me!!! I come at this as a good swimmer average biker but very reluctant runner (never run more than 10k and that takes an hour) having taken it up to start tri's 5 years ago. My plan is to do New Forest in England next May one month after my 50th. An odd present to an outsider but not to a triathlete. So here goes, I'm upping my distance. The finish line is a long way away but I hope with sensible training, good rest, food and excellent advice from those that have gone before me I will make it..........Smile

2012-09-12 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4408221

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: RE: Turning 50

Welcome to BT, Nicky! That's great to have half Ironman ambitions -- I'm sure you can do it! Triathlons are a terrific way to stay fit and feel young, aren't they? I just turned 50 this past May (4th). I've done several sprints and four Olys since I took up the sport last year. Someday I'd like to take on a half Ironman, too. You'll get plenty of good advice from other triathletes on this website. I really like the way this site is set up to track and analyze workouts. Another excellent resource is to join one of the online mentor groups, which usually form in late December and late April.

Anyway, best of luck -- and welcome to BT!

Steve

2012-09-12 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4408221

User image

Welcome to BT What a great goal for turning 50. Last year I turned 50. As a present to myself I did a full distance ironman ( Beach2Battleship). Could not have chosen a better goal / challenge.  Crossing the finish line was a great feeling. I have been doing Tri since 2009. Find a plan that fits the way you train and follow it. Also have a good nutritional plan.
2012-09-13 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4408306

User image

England

Thanks for the support....great idea to have online mentor. Iv'e a lot to learn about this website, on first reading it seems fantastic

Good luck with your training too. Sadly we are now heading into winter so gets tough

Nicky

2012-09-13 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4408375

User image

England

Thanks, great advice. Iv'e been reading up on nutrition, I love the learning side of it too...I hope to surprise myself at what I can achieve. I am also starting a level 3 sports massage course so a very exciting time.

Good luck with your on going training, so nice to know others are interested

Nicky

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Turning 50 Rss Feed