Anaheim, California
United States
Disney's Wide World of Sports
Total Time = 1h 41m 46s
Overall Rank = 328/14824
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/1473
Pre-race routine:

The husband and I had spent the previous day walking around California Adventure, then to and from the Expo. I would guess it was 4 - 5 miles total. I don't think it tired me for the race, but I had little blisters on the back of my feet. I guess the Keds slip-ons with the little ridges in back weren't a good idea.

Set the alarm for 3:45. Ate some Greek yogurt and granola. The hotel put some coffee and hot water out early for the runners, so I made myself a hot tea. My heels hurt as I put my running shoes on, but didn't feel so bad once they were on. I was hoping that I didn't stupidly sabotage my race.

The forecast for the morning was mid-60s, so I put a cotton tee that I planned on tossing once the race started on over my running clothes. I was looking forward to running in cooler temps than what I had left back home. I left the hotel around 4:30, knowing that I had about a mile to walk to the starting line. I grabbed my bag packed with spare clothes, a Luna bar for post race (it's usually hard to find something with protein after a race), and a phone to get in touch with the husband.
Event warmup:

I figured walking to the race would be a good warmup. As I got to close to the staging area, there was a lot of congestion. 16,000 or so runners had signed up, and it took a while to get into the lot where the bag check and port-o-potties were. I want to give a huge shout-out to Disney, though because I found several open potties with no line. I don't think I've ever experienced that in a race. Bag check was a breeze.

I had a a caffeinated Chocolate Cherry Clif shot and made my way to my corral, and things were congested again. A huge number of us didn't even get to start in the corral - we were in a mass over to the side. I started to feel the urge to go to the bathroom again, but I didn't see any facilities near the corrals. I hoped it was nerves. The temperature was fine and I took my shirt off shortly before the start. A soldier sang the national anthem and there were fireworks. The wheel chair racers were started first, and we were started a minute later.
Run
  • 1h 41m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The first few miles were through the parks and it was really crowded. Lots of bob, weave, speed up, and slow down. I enjoyed running through Cars Land with all the neon lights glowing in the semi-darkness. I noticed a few characters along the course, but the only ones I remember are Tiana from The Princess and the Frog and those awesome green army men from Toy Story. Running through the castle was nice, but no where near spectacular as running through the castle at the Disney World Marathon.

Shortly after being funneled onto the roads, there was a decent-sized overpass hill. It was the only real hill of the race. Things had least started to thin out by this point, so I settled in to a semi-aggressive pace. It had been about 10 months since my last Half Marathon, and I wanted to see what I could do on this flat course (the local ones are a bit hilly). I hoped that I wasn't pushing too hard, but I felt good. I was starting to knock back miles a bit faster than the 7:45/mile goal pace. I was also annoyed by the slow, early miles and hoped to make up time.

There were a bunch of classic cars along the side of the road at the halfway point. I think there were more Corvettes than anything. I also noticed some Mustangs later on. After passing the cars, a man in a yellow shirt ran along side me and said that he liked the pace I was running. He asked my goal and I said under 1:45. We chatted a bit as we ran. We had both run at Disney World in January and would be getting our Coast to Coast medals after the race.

There was a little stretch along a river path through dirt away from the street. Soon after, we reached Angel Stadium where we got to run around home plate and the warning track. There cheering spectators in the stadium which made me feel slightly major league. I heard an announcer, but I'm didn't catch my name. I think I heard him say Arizona. The runners were shown on the Jumbotron, but I think that they were showing the runners as they crossed home, and you didn't face the screen until later.

After leaving the stadium, it was just under 10 miles in. I was still feeling pretty good, so I decided to push it and see what I could do. I had lost my yellow-shirted friend at a water stop, and he found me again. The last mile or so was rough, but I kept pushing. Yellow shirt offered encouragement along the way. I could tell by my Garmin that I had to be getting close to the end, but there were a lot of little dog legs along the course, and I couldn't see the finish line until there were about 100 meters left. The sides of the course were packed with cheerleaders and spectators (if I had a dime for every cheerleader out there, I could have paid my entry fee). I didn't pay too much attention to them though, I just focused straight ahead hoping that darn finish line would appear. When I finally saw it, I was able to eke out a little extra and finished strong.

My last couple of races I had been wondering if I had held something back, but I feel like I gave a great effort on this race. I also knocked 7 minutes off my PR :)
What would you do differently?:

Try to get there even earlier so I can start further up (and actually in) the corral.

It ended up not being an issue, but wear running shoes the day before if I'm going to be spending a lot of time on my feet.

I ran with my Natahan Sprint belt, which I probably didn't need. Still, it was nice to take a few sips early on before the water stops were regular.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the refreshments, medal people, and bag area. I consumed water, a banana, and my Luna bar. I changed into my fresh clothes and tried to get in touch with my husband. Ring, ring, ring... He had been a good boy and tried to see me, but was re-directed by race officials a few times and got there too late. He also left his phone in the room. I gave up and made my way back to the hotel. He showed up about an hour later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The early miles were slow because of the crowd, so I think that I could have been at least a minute faster.

It had been a while since I had run a Half, so I'm sure my pacing could be honed further.

Event comments:

Since I had an early start, the weather was mostly cool and shady. My cousin was in one of the later corrals, and he said that it got hot.

Lots of water water stops. On course distractions were fun, but Disney World was better (owning more land helps, I'm sure).

Great medals.

Post-race food was so-so. I had a banana and they gave each runner a box with peanut butter, a mini Clif bar, an Almond Roca, and some crackers. I believe that there were bagels as well.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:46 | 13.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/1473
Overall: 328/14824
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/218646865
Course: The first few miles wind through the parks, then it's a road course with a little buzz through Angel Stadium. The course finishes in Downtown Disney near the starting line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-12 5:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Disneyland Half Marathon

2012-09-12 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4408395

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: Disneyland Half Marathon

Congratulations on your P.R.!!!!!  Nice RR, I loved that early morning light (dark) at Cars Land but also the castle at WDW, too!!! 

Hey, was the yellow shirt guy also shouting out huge thank you's to the volunteers???  I ran next to him for the last few miles, too and based on our times we were all really close! 

2012-09-12 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4408395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Well done Michelle!  From your summary, I think you might have shaved a bit more time off had you not been forced to navigate through the crowd.  Congrats on the PR - a memorable race!
2012-09-12 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4408425

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was lucky with the Cars Land picture - it was in the Run Disney Facebook album.

Yes, he was. I guess he decided to sacrifice his time (he told me he wanted 1:40) to encourage me. He said he has 4 daughters and runs best with women Wink When my husband saw all the pictures, he wanted to know who the yellow shirt guy was. That's so funny that you noticed him too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disneyland Half Marathon Rss Feed