General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
Pig Iron Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 5s
Overall Rank = 51/83
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Came from work so no routine—just a stressful ride home through traffic, some chaos with the family trying to get changed and packed up to head to the race. My husband drove to the race and helped with the bike and gear, but we were running late so the stress level was high til we got to the actual location. This is not a recommended pre-race routine.
Event warmup:

Didnt get there as early as I would have liked to so really just had time to get registered, get marked and get set up. I did get into the water for a quick swim to get acclimated to the temp. It was cold, but not unbearably so. No wet suit for me.
Swim
  • 12m 8s
  • 400 yards
  • 03m / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was pathetic. My first time swimming in Triathlon in open water. I couldnt really freestyle it as I was too afraid of getting kicked in the teeth and I couldnt get my breathing into any kind of rythm. Also, I didnt really have a clear understanding of how far out we were swimming. I am quite nearsighted and dont wear contacts and for some reason misunderstood the description of the swim course. Clearly, this is the skill I need to focus on most for my next triathlon event.

What would you do differently?:

Train more! And, train more in open water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no transition times recorded, but I know I took way too long. Needed time to recover from my horrific swim. Was trying to shove my helmet on over the goggles that were still on my head. Thanks to my hubby who finally pointed that out to me :). Struggled with getting my gloves and my socks on.

Not sure. Just need to practice that transition some more. Maybe go with out the gloves for such a short ride. Definitely remember to take the goggles off : ).
Bike
  • 36m 37s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Feel like I did really well on the ride. Made up for a lot of lost time on the swim. Pushed it pretty hard, but not so hard that I wouldnt have anything left for the run. Improved my overall standing by getting by some folks who beat me in swim.

Nothing really.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No times recorded.

This transition went pretty well. I just thrw off my helmet and ripped off my gloves. Got the shoes off and pulled on my running shoes and was off.
Run
  • 27m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Took me a while to find my running legs, but overall felt pretty good getting started. My heartrate and breathing were a little out of control when i approached the first piece of uphill so I walked for a little bit—until I heard CaptJackSparrow yelling at me from behind :). So off I went and that was the last I heard from him. I had a pretty good run and felt really good in the last mile when I felt like I had some left for a good sprint to the finish.

I need to do more brick workouts so that the transition to running feels better. Need to get heartrate and breathing under control sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Went right for the water bottle and drank heartily. Went back toward finish to cheer on Rob and Polly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim hurt my overall time tremendously. I need to work on my swimming.

Event comments:

This a well organized, very casual race set up that is perfect for a newbie. I don't know where else you can go and have such a good time for just $15 bucks.

Last updated: 2006-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:08 | 400 yards | 03m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 75/83
Performance: Bad
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: an out and back around the bouy
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:37 | 12 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Overall: 42/83
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Two loops around the lake with a number of hills. Course was well marked with great volunteer support.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:20 | 03.11 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 50/83
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop around the lake. A lot of uphill and some rather steep downhills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-16 6:35 AM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series #1

2006-06-16 6:48 AM
in reply to: #456224

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series #1
Pam,

U looked great out there. Nothing but smiles is great to see!!

NIce work,

MM
2006-06-16 7:04 AM

User image

Master
CT
Thanks Seth!

Was great to see you out there.

BTW, I didnt see any snakes : ) — that's why I was smiling.
2006-06-16 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Awesome job Pam! Glad you made it down. Don't worry about the swim- you'll get better. I guess we should try and make some of these OWS on Wednesday nights huh?
2006-06-16 7:47 AM
in reply to: #456275

User image

Master
CT
PollyC - 2006-06-16 7:32 AM

Awesome job Pam! Glad you made it down. Don't worry about the swim- you'll get better. I guess we should try and make some of these OWS on Wednesday nights huh?

Thanks Polly! It was well worth the stressful transit time. I can't believe how pathetic I was on swim, but at least I know what I have to work on

You did great too! Nice work really!!

Yes, more open water swims cuz it is really different from swimming laps in a pool.
2006-06-16 7:56 AM

Pro
Andover
Nice to see you again, Pam.

Nice job last night. Hope you'll be able to make it Sun.

2006-06-16 8:03 AM
in reply to: #456303

User image

Master
CT
CptnJackSparrow - 2006-06-16 7:56 AM

Nice to see you again, Pam.

Nice job last night. Hope you'll be able to make it Sun.

Thanks Rob! You did great too! and it was nice to see you again.

I am trying to work out the Sunday ride. Its father's day so I have to make sure its okay with my husband. He's on the fence about joining us for the ride. Not sure what kind of pace we will keep.
2006-06-16 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow...great race!

I knew all the guys from CT were fast...so are the women!

You were so fast on the bike and run!

OWS you'll get that in no time with practice. It is strange at first until you get the hang of it. I hear you about stress before a race...I feel that way when I did this race...hurry up and life is so complicated at night after work with the kids.

I hope to see you in July at the Lake T...but you'll be blowing by me on the bike if not before.

Congrats on a super race!

2006-06-16 9:04 AM
in reply to: #456353

User image

Master
CT
KathyG - 2006-06-16 8:36 AM

Wow...great race!

I knew all the guys from CT were fast...so are the women!

You were so fast on the bike and run!

OWS you'll get that in no time with practice. It is strange at first until you get the hang of it. I hear you about stress before a race...I feel that way when I did this race...hurry up and life is so complicated at night after work with the kids.

I hope to see you in July at the Lake T...but you'll be blowing by me on the bike if not before.

Congrats on a super race!

Hah! Thanks Kathy. The bike and run were great! The swim was totally demoralizing.

And yes, the real race took place before I even got there. Raced home from work. Got into a snit with my 13year old about whether he wanted to go with or not. He only wanted to go if he could bring his bike. We tried putting it on the rack, but it wouldnt go and was getting all in my spokes and whatnot. AHHHHH! So we left him with a scowl on his face. I was expecting not to get there in time to actually participate in the race so now I have a scowl on MY face and my husband is aggravated and we still have to hit the bank machine and there's traffic and people drive like (*) and ahhhhhh!!.

So, yah, life is complicated. But, its all good really and I felt great when I crossed the finish line.

Look forward to meeting you soon.

Pam
2006-06-16 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

Great job on the bike and run! I'm sure the swim will come once you get used to the feeling.  It IS pretty freaky swimming in a group like that and must be even more so if your vision is limited.  In my first tri, last weekend, I hung around the outside back so I wouldn't be in the mix.  Last night, I went right up the center and got the full experience.

2006-06-16 7:28 PM
in reply to: #457183

User image

Master
CT
dredwards - 2006-06-16 7:12 PM

Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

Great job on the bike and run! I'm sure the swim will come once you get used to the feeling.  It IS pretty freaky swimming in a group like that and must be even more so if your vision is limited.  In my first tri, last weekend, I hung around the outside back so I wouldn't be in the mix.  Last night, I went right up the center and got the full experience.

yes, me too!

I hope I can meet more BTers at the next event. I will make sure that Rob helps me find the others next time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed