General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season training for a newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-14 11:01 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Off-season training for a newbie

Hey everyone!  I'm new to BT, and a new triathlete in general (just completed my first sprint in July), and I am hooked.  I have always played baseball and football my entire life, so I am taking on triathlon as a new challenge.  I have a decent amount of muscle mass, since weight training has been the foundation of my fitness/training for so long.  However, I still have some bodyfat to shed to make myself lighter for the upcoming race season.  I had never had any formal swimming practice until last May (still no coaching or anything), so obviously swimming is one of my largest weak points.  On top of that, I finally sprung and bought a used road bike (did the sprint tri on an older mountain bike....I know) and also have a stationary indoor trainer to use it with.  Running obviously needs to improve A LOT as well. 

I guess my question to you guys and gals is what should be my approach to this offseason?  I have made the decision to make triahlon part of my lifestyle, and want to give it everything I have (on a small budget, of course).  All aspects need improving, I'm well aware of that, and I also could shed some body fat.  I am just wondering if I should focus on building more of a base?  Increasing mileage? Intervals?  I also would like to keep up with my strength training, focusing more on movements that will benefit me in the s/b/r (lat, chest, single-leg, etc.).

Any opinions/advice is more than welcome!

Thanks everyone! And I'm excited to be part of the community!!

-Derek

2012-09-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4411452

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Off-season training for a newbie

It really depends on where you live, what kind of equipment you have, and what your base is.

In a lot of areas there are running races through the off season that can be used as motivation to help keep your run up.

For biking, if you can't ride outside, you should consider getting a trainer and perhaps trainer road (if you have a ant+ speed/cadence sensor).  If that isn't possible then you can use a spin bike at the gym if you can't ride your bike.

Swiming, if you have access to a pool keep working on it and get a coach or join a masters class if possible. 

Basically, keep putting in time and miles and grow your base first, then worry more about intervals etc once you are comfortable that you have a solid base.  If you don't have a huge running base be very careful with intervals on the running.

2012-09-14 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4411471

User image

New user

I live in the midwest (Omaha, NE).  I did just get an indoor bike trainer, so I plan on logging quite a few miles on that over the fall/winter months (plan on getting a computer as well w/ cadence).  I do have access to a pool, which I also plan to use quite a bit.  I will also look into running races, and I do enjoy running in the cold, so that will make it much easier to train.

I basically was wondering if building a base was fine for this first off season, as opposed to trying multiple different training styles.  It sounds like I should just focus on the base for now...correct?

2012-09-14 11:57 AM

User image

Regular

Do a couple things, 

Find a few of the triathlons that you want to do next season and mark the dates

Find a training plan that makes the most sense for you

Look at the time frame for the training plan in relation to when your race dates are.

If you have a couple empty months or weeks look into building a base during this time, getting comfortable on the bike or maybe even jump on a training plan for a half/full marathon inbetween. As said previously bridge the gap preparring for other races. Good time to build up for a century. 

I'm coming from the exact same background as you, my target race is a year out, good luck and good training

2012-09-14 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

One thing that helped me improve my base, knowledge of the sport and overall ability after my first race was joining a Triathlon Club in my area. Structured weekly workouts, making friends and having people who knew alot more about the sport that could give me inspiration, tips, pointer, etc has really helped me. I am sure there are clubs in Omaha and you should look into them.

2012-09-14 3:32 PM

At this point in your triathlon journey it is all about base base and more base.  Build that long slow distance base.  Intensity is much easier to add once you already have the mileage where you want it.

Spend time on the trainer.  I mean lots of time.  Doesn't need to be high intensity, just consistently working and long.  You will be amazed at the gains you can get this way on the bike. From where you are at now, high intensity spin class all winter will not get you as far as one month of logging serious base hours on the trainer.

The general rule of thumb is not to increase mileage or intensity by more than 10% in a week.  Often times, you can push this a little in swimming and biking, but don't temp injury on running.

In swimming, learn pacing.  It took me far too long to figure this one out and my swimming never improved.  Once I started focusing on pacing, all those frustrations went away.  And now im off to the pool.

2012-09-14 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
dmac10 - 2012-09-14 6:01 PM

I guess my question to you guys and gals is what should be my approach to this offseason?  

Use the winter to focus on your weak(est) point, sounds like all of them. Sell, swimming is the most technical and the one that takes most time and persistance to improve. Focus on swimming and do yourself the favor of getting a coach.

Sounds like you don't really have a weight problem as in excess body fat, but rather extra muscle mass. Relax a bit on the weights, may come natural as you spend more time with SBR. Doing SBR will build the muscle where you need it for the sport.

Also, if you've mostly done weights, likely you need to do more cardio, well, that's any of the three. Running probably has the highest impact. So, over the winter you can do 3-1-2 days/week SBR. When you get to end of january increase bike and run, and relax a bit on the swim doing 2-2-3 if possible. Sometimes you can do two workouts on a day, like swim in the morning, run at night, or do bricks.

All depends on the time you can dedicate, but start focus on the swim, then in mid/late winter start increasing run and bike relaxing a bit on the swim.

BR

2012-09-17 11:55 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for the responses everyone!  I will definitely work on my base in all 3 disciplines over this first offseason.  Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season training for a newbie Rss Feed