of 2

2012-09-16 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4412920

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: No more IM-NYC

southwestmba - 2012-09-15 7:59 P

...How come the NYC Marathon folks can figure out the logisitcs of a significantly more complicated race with 15 time the people and close to a million specators? Great business decision!

Beyond the course logistics of adding the swim and bike, look at the number of registrants/fees:

IM NYC:

2500(?) cap: Registration $1200 (2013)

2500 athletes *$1200/athlete = $3,000,000

NYC Marathon:

~47,000 starters in 2012, registration $255 (2013)

47000 runners * $255/runner = $11,985,000

So for NYC marathon vs. NYC IM, you have less road closures, for a shorter time, but 4x the registration money coming in.

And insurance that DOESN'T include open water swimming would probably be a lot less.

I amazed they pulled it off at all.

2012-09-16 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4413434

tcj103 - 2012-09-16 1:04 PM

southwestmba - 2012-09-15 7:59 P

...How come the NYC Marathon folks can figure out the logisitcs of a significantly more complicated race with 15 time the people and close to a million specators? Great business decision!

Beyond the course logistics of adding the swim and bike, look at the number of registrants/fees:

IM NYC:

2500(?) cap: Registration $1200 (2013)

2500 athletes *$1200/athlete = $3,000,000

NYC Marathon:

~47,000 starters in 2012, registration $255 (2013)

47000 runners * $255/runner = $11,985,000

So for NYC marathon vs. NYC IM, you have less road closures, for a shorter time, but 4x the registration money coming in.

And insurance that DOESN'T include open water swimming would probably be a lot less.

I amazed they pulled it off at all.

I agree, I don't know how they pulled it off. I was a volunteering on the bike course sag team and just hearing from the radio they had to deal with so many police departments. Because the bike course went through a lot of counties. But they pulled it off. However that noise ordinance was the most dissapointing of all. No music! Good thing there were cheerleaders there.
2012-09-16 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4411683

User image

Elite

I suppose with the urban events they've got to try them to see if they work.  The one in Melbourne was a resounding success but it's hardly New York!!!

At least they learnt from it and took the decision to cancel rather than try again and p*ss a lot of people off with poor logistics etc.

I'm sure they will find another urban one to replace it!

2012-09-17 12:03 AM
in reply to: #4412554

User image

Champion

X2:  "bravado or hubris" (JoePetto)

X2:  "ineptitude and greed" (southwestmba)

2012-09-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4413721

User image

Champion

Thinking about bravado, hubris, greed, and ineptitude, some combination of those four faults has to be behind the awful track record WTC is establishing for having races go badly off-the-tracks, and flat-out "losing" races.  Miami 70.3 a couple of years ago was a travesty, the 5i50 series has been a debacle, and the loss of races such as Mooseman and Rhode Island speaks poorly to.....something or other.  And by that I mean that I don't know all the story behind the elimination of those races -- but do know that most established independent races don't just "die" so swiftly.

It just astounds me that the supposed "premier" (and don't their entry rates suggest that?) race organization continues to make so many blunders.  If I had to choose one of the four from the above, I would go with "greed" first and foremost.  That would cover the amount of races WTC tries to manage, the entry cost for each event, and the amount of bodies they try to cram onto any given course.  I am almost certain that their success rate would be much higher if they just focused on a handful of "key" races, doing them as well as is humanly possibly.  That's what the very best independent race organizations do, and WTC would be well-served by getting down off their own self-constructed podium and make an honest attempt at providing quality events that aren't all about turning enormous profits for themselves.

2012-09-17 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4413721

User image

Champion

jobaxas -

Heaven forbid!  There's a limit to what most urban areas (and probably rural ones, too) can tolerate, and I would hate to see terrific urban races such as Chicago Tri, Nations (and DC Tri), and NYC Tri "bumped" to make way for an iron or even half-iron in those cities.  There's probably a really good reason why those events have nothing larger than an olympic-distance race, and my own experience tells me that in untenable for major roadways in major cities to be shut down for more than a few hours.

Cities, especially, effectively have a "carrying capacity" for what they can handle for a race, and it might be that Chicago, say, can handle the triathlon weekend and also the marathon.......but if a half-iron or iron moved in there, something would have to give.  How many major kerfuffles are Chicagoans expected to suffer so that so many people can race there?  Probably not too many more, and if WTC going into Chicago to do an iron or half-iron would jeopardize either of the established events, then that is just patently wrong.  But WTC has shown no qualms about practicing "engulf and devour", so I continue to worry about where they might go next!

2012-09-17 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4412920

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

southwestmba - 2012-09-15 7:59 PM

How many 5150 races got cancelled at the last second for no legitimate reason,  

I really had no thoughts on this thread, other than the fact that this would have been the closest Mdot 140.6 to me, had it survived, so I may have considered it in a couple years.

BUT THEN! Someone sent up the claaaw version of the  bat signal and mentioned the 5150 series, and I am legally required to post now and say um, well.... OK I am out of things to say about that mess. Just - YEAH! What he said! 

2012-09-17 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I think the only way that an IM can work in an urban environment is if you can find a way to run the race on the fringes of the major metropolitan area (Houston comes to mind). Unlike a short-course race or even a marathon, there’s no way to carry on a race of that duration (nearly 24 hours start to finish) without severely impacting traffic, etc. if you try to run it through the heart of the city. Even the NYC marathon doesn’t go through midtown. The only race that does is the NYC Half, which, depending on the year, can right through Times Square, and that’s a 2-3 hour race for most people that’s over by late morning on a weekend.

Of course, if you run the whole race on the fringes of the city, you lose out on much of what makes racing in urban areas exciting. One of my knocks on the NYC IM was that there was nothing “NYC” about it. The race course for the NYC Tri is lined with spectators, and the fan support at the NYC marathon is practically legendary, but outside of the tri community, no one in NYC even knew the NY IM was even happening.

I would love to see them take a crack at a HIM closer to the city—maybe in one of the outer boros, but after this debacle, it might be a long time before anyone tries to run another long-course race in NY.
2012-09-17 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4413387

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
kmwilliams - 2012-09-16 12:04 PM

southwestmba - 2012-09-15 6:59 PM

How come the NYC Marathon folks can figure out the logisitcs of a significantly more complicated race with 15 time the people and close to a million specators? Great business decision!

And by the way, comparing the logistics for putting on a marathon to that of putting on an Ironman is laughable. Have you ever been to a 140.6 MILE triathlon?

Laughable. For a major Urban Marthon they close major roadways and major bridges for hours, something they don't do for a Ironman at all. They have to deal with significantly more logistical challenges (IE aid stations, police support, crowd control, permits) than an Ironman does. Plus they have to deal with significantly more spectators and media coverage and provide facilities for them, which is at a significantly larger scale than an Ironman.

Yes the NYC marathon takes in more money but the logistics are much more significant for the Marathon. Try dealing with 3 starting pathes off the Varazano Narrows bridge vs 1 closed lane and traffic still flowing. Only one small patch of minor road is fully closed at most ironmans for the full race (IE right at Transition/Finish Line)

As for have I every been to a 140.6 mile triathlon? Try 6 times, including the World Championship and I am part of an organization that has put one on. So yes I understand the business model pretty well too and I know what good looks like. You don't build goodwill by taking advantage of your customer's loyalty. Long term that bites you especialy when your customers have other options.

Thanks for the conversation.

WTC is living on its past reputation and expanding too fast, and it shows.
2012-09-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4415708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

southwestmba - 2012-09-17 9:16 PM As for have I every been to a 140.6 mile triathlon? Try 6 times, including the World Championship and I am part of an organization that has put one on. So yes I understand the business model pretty well too and I know what good looks like. You don't build goodwill by taking advantage of your customer's loyalty. Long term that bites you especialy when your customers have other options. Thanks for the conversation. WTC is living on its past reputation and expanding too fast, and it shows.

Ouch!  Guess he does have a little experience @ that distance :-)

I agree wholeheartedly with a couple of phrases here..."you don't build goodwill by taking advantage of your customer's loyalty" and "WTC is living on its past reputation and expanding too fast, and it shows"

There's no denying that for lots of folks there's a certain panache about doing a WTC event.  I've done a ton of them - but won't again.  I don't support their business model, which basically renders us triathletes as nothing more that widgets in a process.  I'd much rather be appreciated, thanked, and valued by a race organization. 

2012-09-18 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4416095

User image

Veteran
horseheads

you called us "Widgets"...... i prefer "Spacely Sprockets" or "Cogswell Cogs"

I support races that recognize the source of their revenue and are greatful for that source to exist and work hard to make THE CUSTOMER happy.  I shop at local bike shops because of the relationship i have with them.  I eat at Diners because the owner is the waitress.  I race at races where the one that is shelling out and shelling in the $$$ is ON SITE and working his/her tail off to make it happen.

I'm a Blue collar man, I don't like the suits behind a desk or on a sailboat somewhere that don't even know "they" are putting on an event that so many hold near and dear to their hearts to continue to have a source of laughter as they head to the bank.

for that reason, a few years ago, i began voting with my $$$.  I'm not knocking WTC and their events, they put out a show.  No doubt, i've raced a crap load of them.  It's a big deal.  At some point though one has to make their own choices.   I respect the choices made by others.

See you guys at the next race.....which ever that may be.

Tim

2012-09-18 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4416095

User image

Champion

JPS0135 -

I couldn't agree with you more!  Just from this past weekend........

1. Doing an inaugural sprint in Cortland,  NY, I was thanked multiple times for having made the drive down from Canada and supporting their efforts for the United Way.  People recognized me by face, and took the time to thank me, and while it was really no big deal to get there, it made it all the more human that I was recognized. 
  2. The following day I raced in Lebanon, NJ, and signed up that morning.  Post-race, the woman who took my registration came over to me and asked how it went -- did I have a good race, and did I enjoy myself?   And during the awards I was thanked foer coming all the way down from Canada to do their race.  Again, this was no big deal for me in terms of effort, but the bigger deal comes from people recognizing me and taking the time to thank me or otherwise show interest.

Great vibes at both races -- the first being Cortland Tri for the United Way, the second being Buckman Triathlon.  Cortland had 159 solo finishers, Buckman had 225; both races had many relay teams.  Both races had excellent bike courses, both had unique run courses; I would do both races in a heartbeat. 

I just don't see the need for overpriced and overcrowded races, and I will continue to speak with my wallet by not supporting events that care only about me only as a another revenue-producer for them.  And I am definietly interested in supporting well-run races that give most if not all proceeds to charity --- the United Way for the Cortland race, the ITP Foundation for an upcoming race in CT.  It just amazes me that some RDs care enough about triathlon and Larger Causes to (a) provide memorable race experiences, and with (b) no profit-motive for themselves.   These are the ones that are win-win for me to support.

2012-09-20 6:43 PM

User image

What the heck is going on with WTC?

Ironman St. George - gone.  Ironman Canada - gone.  Ironman NYC - gone.  Ironman Rhode Island 70.3 - gone.  Ironman Mooseman 70.3 gone.  Lance factor - gone.  And rumor has it Eagleman may be next.  WTF? WTC is in trouble.   

Ironman St. George was "too hard", according to WTC.  Really?  Ironman Canada was just a blatant drop of the football in the endzone.  Ironman NYC was a logistical nightmare and NYC never wanted the event, and it was just too expensive to produce.  I did the inagural Rhode Island event, then did it the next year, then they changed the course, and now it's gone.  Mooseman posted a measley 700 finishers this year.  Yikes!!   My guess is, since Quassy is the same weekend - Quassy killed Mooseman; as Quassy is executed just as well (if not better) and the course is sublimely beautiful.   And Quassy was sold out this year.  Lance is now the Rev3 poster boy. 

So it seems there is not an endless supply of triathletes who participate in 70.3 and the pond is very small afterall.  And I think the same sentiment pretty much goes for 140.6 as well as Rev3 and other triathlon event companies slowly eat away at the Empire...   

2012-09-20 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4421219

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Dream Chaser - 2012-09-20 7:43 PM

And rumor has it Eagleman may be next.   

WHAT? What rumor? Is it because they haven't opened registration yet? Is there something else?

Holy cow man, the thing sells out far out in advance. I was under the impression Tri Columbia was really solid. I need to redeem my DNF from this year.

2012-09-20 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4421238

User image

TheClaaaw - 2012-09-20 8:07 PM
Dream Chaser - 2012-09-20 7:43 PM

And rumor has it Eagleman may be next.   

WHAT? What rumor? Is it because they haven't opened registration yet? Is there something else?

Holy cow man, the thing sells out far out in advance. I was under the impression Tri Columbia was really solid. I need to redeem my DNF from this year.

Tri Columbia is solid. My guess is the rumor is circulating because Eagleman is around 45 days past when registration normally opens up.

My "guess" is that WTC doesn't want to give them their Kona spots. As per the Tri Columbia website:

The Ironman 70.3 EagleMan Triathlon, has been licensed to TriColumbia by Ironman for 16 years. We are awaiting finalization of our continued 3 year contract from Ironman which will provide 30 Ironman Triathlon World Championship slots and 30 Lake Las Vegas 70.3 World Championship slots. Our intention is to open up registration very soon, and we will give athletes at least one week notice by posting the opening date in this red box. We are sorry for the delay in opening registration, and look forward to seeing you at the start line.

That statement, if you read between the lines says: there is a kink in the contract negotiation pipeline, and something Eagleman always received from Ironman without issue (slots likely) is now an issue.  WTC better do the right, smart thing.  Eagleman is an iconic 70.3.  

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-09-20 7:44 PM
2012-09-20 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4414266

User image

Elite
stevebradley - 2012-09-17 11:57 PM

jobaxas -

Heaven forbid!  There's a limit to what most urban areas (and probably rural ones, too) can tolerate, and I would hate to see terrific urban races such as Chicago Tri, Nations (and DC Tri), and NYC Tri "bumped" to make way for an iron or even half-iron in those cities.  There's probably a really good reason why those events have nothing larger than an olympic-distance race, and my own experience tells me that in untenable for major roadways in major cities to be shut down for more than a few hours.

Cities, especially, effectively have a "carrying capacity" for what they can handle for a race, and it might be that Chicago, say, can handle the triathlon weekend and also the marathon.......but if a half-iron or iron moved in there, something would have to give.  How many major kerfuffles are Chicagoans expected to suffer so that so many people can race there?  Probably not too many more, and if WTC going into Chicago to do an iron or half-iron would jeopardize either of the established events, then that is just patently wrong.  But WTC has shown no qualms about practicing "engulf and devour", so I continue to worry about where they might go next!

Agreed - the reason Melbourne worked is because it started 45km from the city at the beach.  Then the ride is on a Freeway - they closed one side of it (it's hardly used coz you have to pay a toll!)  Freeway is 45km long so out and back twice.  Back to the beach suburb then run point to point along the beach road (not a major road) to an inner suburb.  Logistical problems were more about trying to get bikes back to their owners.

Let's face it Australian cities are no London or New York in terms of population!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No more IM-NYC Rss Feed  

of 2