Without Limits Productions
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 44m 12s
Overall Rank = 19/61
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

I have been in what amounts to a month long taper since Boulder HIM, and was just looking forward to not having to run. Based on the day, turns out to have been a really good idea.
Followed the usual pre-race routine, packing the night before and prepping the bike and all. Woke to my weekday swim alarm a little after 4:30, had breakfast ans was out the door just after 5. On arriving, 5:45, I was surprised to see so many people already line up to get into the res.
Event warmup:

I got in the water before any waves started, and stayed in for a while since I was in the last wave. For the first and only swim this season in my full wetsuit, it was pretty comfortable, and the water was perfect.
Swim
  • 33m 36s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Mostly uneventful, since the wave was small (61 total) I did the usual start on right to sight left, but there were only 1 swimmers in front of me initially; a second was doing a poor drafting job and petting my toes, so I kicked them off and made them go around. after that, one other from the group came by just before the turn, and we were already catching waves 5 and 6.
After the turn, I wound up a little wide trying to catch caps in front, not thinking the were off course as well - figured that out once I came up on a kayak with two swimmers resting. Overall this was a really enjoyable swim, even though it wasnt my best pace.
What would you do differently?:

Keep the yardage and weekly swim frequency up before an event...hard to do on the heels of my 'A' event in August and the start of the school year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Best time ever getting out of the full suit. Fubar of the moment was starting to leave transition without my helmet, which my rack mates quickly pointed out - that was probably 20-30 seconds extra

Not get all the way to Bike Out without a lid on my skull
Bike
  • 3h 06m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

The course started out well enough, things felt good and I had my practiced nutrition in bottles and bento, and the recent experience of not drinking all I carried at Boulder. Between the turaround and the turn onto Watkins, Mack Babcock caught me and we talked some, then I caught him again on Watkins. Right after the turn onto Colfax I caught Todd, Mack rolled up on us again, and we had a group ride for a bit before Mack took off.
I took off while Todd paced, and all went well until the lite climbing on the south leg. The same knee issue from Boulder woke up again here, and the discomfort was strong I had to dial it back just a little. Todd rolled by shortly after, looking strong. I just nursed the knee all the way back, and when I climbed off in T2 realized it would have been an 2 sport day even If I had signed up for the full, no way could I run at this point.

Avoid chronic overuse injuries
Post race
Warm down:

After transition jog-limped the 200m down to the finish, and relished the slip-n-slide finish. I sat in the tub at the end for a bit, then after walking around a bit took the hose form the slide monitor and resoaked my self. It was already pretty warm, and the knee hurt so I ate and packed it in.
I also noticed what seemed like several people choosing to DNF, rolling into T2 and not leaving...just packing up transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training level last 4 weeks, and the knee

Event comments:

This is a good and challenging course, and Lance does a great job running things overall.

Last updated: 2012-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:36 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 4/61
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue 70 Reaction Full
Course: Triangular out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:06:45 | 56 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 26/61
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-14 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Aquabike

2012-09-15 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4412164

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Aquabike
Too bad about the knee, you looked strong on the bike!  Tough day out there with the heat.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Aquabike Rss Feed