Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 181

2022-03-07 8:31 AM
in reply to: TRIMAN413

User image

Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?
Day 30, done!

I have really enjoyed this streak. I am going to continue to run most days, but plan on taking off some Saturdays to hike or just kick back and relax at the park as the nice weather begins. But since I have found that physically I have had no problem running every day, I am definitely going to keep a six day a week running regimen for sure. Feels really good!

To my sweet cat Manny, who I dedicated this streak to when he passed away last month, I miss you, Boo! Till we meet again.

2022-03-07 10:18 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by TRIMAN413

Just finished day 18 with a Z2 paced 3 miles. My total miles for the streak are at 59.25. My Z2 MPH is increasing which is positive. I am really liking this running everyday and I am already hooked at only 18 days.

I actually started reading this post from the very beginning. Brad, I am just to point where you are about to get back at it after your injury which would be the start of your current streak.

I so wish this site was as active as it was back in the day. Would be great having more people in here posting like it was then.

Hah...I kind of forgot about that. I got to 90-some days before I had to take a few weeks off after an injury during the Grand Rapids Triathlon. I thought I blew out my ACL when it happened, based on how I remember it feeling like someone kicked me in the back of the leg. It turned out to be just a pretty good strain, but that was scary.

There were a few of us posting frequently back then. The one guy was doing something like 20 mile runs every single day!!! I was sad when he ended his streak, but it seemed almost impossible to keep going the way he was; 2 miles can be hard enough!

In another post, you had asked about the Streak registry: I do believe most people on there are honest, but I am sure there are a few who have lied about it. They certainly don't ask for any proof, but I myself have a Garmin log of all of my activities. Unfortunately, even with that, you occasionally run into the situation where you have to manually create an entry because you forgot your watch, your watch was dead, or silly operator error where you simply forgot to hit the start button for an activity. I bet I have 10-20 of those in my 8.5+ years of doing this.

Anyway, yesterday was #3143. Only got in 2 miles due to some other commitments, including wanting to get in a quick lifting workout. I did get 9 in on Saturday, though, so I kept the daily average up. While it isn't a hard goal, I have been generally trying to keep an average of over 4 miles per day for each specific month.

Keep at it...eventually it won't feel like work most of the time to get your run in. Other people won't understand it, but it just becomes part of your day that you build around, especially if you just need to get the bare minimum in to keep the streak alive. 20 minutes out of my day (not counting the necessary shower) just isn't that big of a deal!

2022-03-07 10:21 AM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Caroleena

Day 30, done!

I have really enjoyed this streak. I am going to continue to run most days, but plan on taking off some Saturdays to hike or just kick back and relax at the park as the nice weather begins. But since I have found that physically I have had no problem running every day, I am definitely going to keep a six day a week running regimen for sure. Feels really good!

To my sweet cat Manny, who I dedicated this streak to when he passed away last month, I miss you, Boo! Till we meet again.

Congrats on completing the 30. My cat Rocky passed about two years into my streak. I still miss him every day, even though he occasionally puked on my running shoes which I think he found funny.
2022-03-07 12:16 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

even though he occasionally puked on my running shoes which I think he found funny.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this!! I have a dog that likes to chew on shoes. We have to keep them hid or behind a gate so she cant get to them.

Finished day 21 for me today. I am averaging just a little over 3.25 miles per day. 3 miles has been my shortest run. My average will now start increasing because I am slowly starting to increase my mileage.

Congrats Caroleena on your 30 days. I am going to keep going as long as I can.
2022-03-07 1:55 PM

User image

Thanks Chris and Brad! I will be checking in to see how you all are doing with your streaks. Keep it up!!
2022-03-14 2:17 PM

User image

I know I said I was going to switch to a six-day run week, but so far I am still at it.
I think I might be developing a problem!

Day 37, 5-6 miles each day except one "rest" day of 3 miles.

Uh-oh...

2022-03-15 12:08 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

I know I said I was going to switch to a six-day run week, but so far I am still at it.

Uh-oh...

It isn't easy to give up. At this point, I have no idea how I am going to stop when it comes time to do so. I'm either going to:
a. plan the end of the streak ahead of time so I can mentally deal with it
b. miss a day due to a bad enough injury that I won't have any other chance

I can't imagine one day just saying I don't feel like doing it...that seems like a way to be mad at myself forever. It feels like I would need to pick a milestone to end at if I am going to choose when to do it.

Either way, for now it rolls on. Yesterday was #3151. I've got 4 miles of speed work intervals coming up whenever I can get some free time this afternoon.
2022-03-15 5:19 PM

User image

wow, 3151 days.
Inspiring and terrifying at the same time!
2022-03-16 8:11 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
I hit my 30 day mark today and I have no plans on ending anytime soon. I ran 101.75 miles in those 30 days. I used to think it was bad to run everyday. I thought you had to take days off to let your body recover. I actually feel better running everyday than I did running every other day. I still take rest days, but my rest days now are and easy 3 miles at a relaxed pace. Now I just have 335 more days to go before I can register my streak. LOL!!!
2022-03-16 8:13 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

Uh-oh...

It isn't easy to give up. At this point, I have no idea how I am going to stop when it comes time to do so. I'm either going to:
a. plan the end of the streak ahead of time so I can mentally deal with it
b. miss a day due to a bad enough injury that I won't have any other chance

I can't imagine one day just saying I don't feel like doing it...that seems like a way to be mad at myself forever. It feels like I would need to pick a milestone to end at if I am going to choose when to do it.

Either way, for now it rolls on. Yesterday was #3151. I've got 4 miles of speed work intervals coming up whenever I can get some free time this afternoon.

Brad, I see you have moved up a few spots. Your at 515 now. Great job!! Keep it up!!!
2022-03-16 10:11 AM

User image

Congrats on reaching 30 Chris! I agree, I used to think that daily running would cause injury. In fact, for a long time I thought that running on consecutive days at all would do so - for years I forced myself to only run 3 or 4 days a week because of that fallacy. I would cross train instead, usually by walking, and would look at the runners passing me on the bike path and think "Wish I was running today". Well, no more of that!

2022-03-16 11:25 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

Congrats on reaching 30 Chris! I agree, I used to think that daily running would cause injury. In fact, for a long time I thought that running on consecutive days at all would do so - for years I forced myself to only run 3 or 4 days a week because of that fallacy. I would cross train instead, usually by walking, and would look at the runners passing me on the bike path and think "Wish I was running today". Well, no more of that!

Thanks!! I'm glad your continuing your streak. Hopefully you can continue for a long time. I have no idea how long I will go, I just know I am not ready to stop now and am hoping to go for a while.
2022-03-16 1:57 PM

Well, you mean that I can run every day without being afraid of getting injured?
2022-03-21 8:01 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Well I completed RSD-35 today. This was a hard one. I ran a hill on Saturday and my quads were feeling it today. Have to admit, if it wasn't for the streak I probably would have taken today off. That's what is great about the streak. It keeps you motivated to get up and run. I did 3.75 miles today for a total of 121.75 miles in my streak.
2022-03-23 8:21 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Yesterday was #3159 with 4 miles of speed work intervals. I fought a cold over the weekend, and I could tell I definitely am not fully back yet.

One piece of advice if you guys keep this streak going: don't worry about your pace most days. Obviously, you may work through a plan that has speed work, tempo runs, long runs, etc, but on the other days, just run. Don't get frustrated if you're slower. While I agree with the idea that you can run every day without injuring yourself, you still need to be smart about it to stay healthy. Trying to push the pace every day is going to result in some bad news.

Another bit of unsolicited advice: don't worry about what other people think. Most people will think you're crazy for running every day. They'll tell you that you should stop, etc, Others will be amazed and encouraging. After a while, those around you will realize it is just part of your day and will even help when you need to figure out how to get it in.

2022-03-23 5:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

My brother is at somewhere close to 500 days on his running streak.   He definitely is not doing his running streak to get faster.  There are a million ways he could train smarted if getting faster was his primary goal.  He just wants to be a runner for life and wants to make sure he never lets that get away from him.

My motivation is different.  My training days are always with a purpose and so are my rest days.  I have had to take time off following a marathon and following a sprained ankle.  I have trained through being sick once, and through minor injuries twice.  I can understand training through minor things, but for me, it is better to take the days off and rest up so I can go hard on workdays than to go every day no matter what.  I think anyone could run 30 days in a row.  There are very few that would make it 6-months and those who make it multiple years are in a league of their own. 

2022-03-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

So my streak has ended as of tomorrow - today is my last day. (And I mean it this time LOL)

Tomorrow I will be helping close my Dad's house and wouldn't easily be able to get a run in. And since I have been planning all along to stop the streak with the advent of spring, I figured this is an ideal time to do it.

I made it to 47 days and I am happy about that. I will be back in November and plan on streaking until March 2023 at that time - - so hopefully 120 days or so for my next streak.

See you then. Good luck everyone!
2022-03-24 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

So my streak has ended as of tomorrow - today is my last day. (And I mean it this time LOL)

Tomorrow I will be helping close my Dad's house and wouldn't easily be able to get a run in. And since I have been planning all along to stop the streak with the advent of spring, I figured this is an ideal time to do it.

I made it to 47 days and I am happy about that. I will be back in November and plan on streaking until March 2023 at that time - - so hopefully 120 days or so for my next streak.

Sorry to see you leave!! Hopefully I will still be here when you return in the fall. Don't be a stranger.

I just finished day 38 today for me and am still continuing on as of now.
2022-03-25 11:49 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Understandable to let it go if that is your choice, but this is the kind of thing you'll have to figure out in the fall if you want to do 120 days. Get your run in at 12:01AM, or at 5AM. Cut it down to 2 miles to keep it short and sweet. Run over lunch. Or literally just block a time ahead of the day and say "I'll be running between 10AM and 11AM no matter what".

Yesterday was #3161 with 4 miles of tempo. I haven't fully recovered from my cold yet, as I was struggling badly with my normal tempo pace, and had to take a couple of breaks. Hoping to be better when I go for 4 easy this afternoon.
2022-04-01 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Well I hit day 46 today with an easy zone 2, 3.5 mile run. My total streak miles are 161.75 averaging 3.52 miles/day. I've noticed that my speed is increasing and my zone 2 heart rate speed is increasing. Slow steady increases!!! Still feel really good. Last week was a step back week for me. My legs were telling me I needed it but this week I am back to increasing. I'm trying to do a 5 week cycle. 4 weeks of increase with a one week setback to recover. So far it is working really well!!
2022-04-04 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Painful 10 on Saturday
Easy 2 yesterday morning (hard effort bike in the afternoon)
Casual 4 this AM for #3172

Yesterday was 453 weeks...
Going to start pushing the effort a little for the next month. Getting married on May 7, and then heading out for about 10 days in Bora Bora, Tahiti, and Moorea, so I'd like to drop 7-8 pounds if I can get it done.

2022-04-09 1:02 PM

User image

Congrats Brad and best wishes! You are entering a new phase of life, very exciting!!
2022-04-11 2:06 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

Painful 10 on Saturday
Easy 2 yesterday morning (hard effort bike in the afternoon)
Casual 4 this AM for #3172

Yesterday was 453 weeks...
Going to start pushing the effort a little for the next month. Getting married on May 7, and then heading out for about 10 days in Bora Bora, Tahiti, and Moorea, so I'd like to drop 7-8 pounds if I can get it done.

Congrats on your 453 weeks and congrats on your up coming marriage!! Sounds like a great honeymoon!!!

I just hit 56 days today and am still going strong!
2022-04-11 5:43 PM

User image

That's great Chris! How is the hip pain?
I have been doing 6 days per week and it has been going very well. I had some soreness but have been warming up/stretching a bit before my runs which seems to help. I am up to 37 miles per week. Love running (almost) every day! I wake up in the morning and think "I get to run today!" and instantly feel awesomet LOL
2022-04-21 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Heading out for a 4 mile tempo run pretty soon, which will be #3189.

Pushing hard still until the wedding/honeymoon, both to be in my best shape possible but also because tri season starts just a few weeks after that and I know I won't train that well while in French Polynesia!
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 181