General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're just little 'different' than the average Joe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-09-20 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4421177

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: We're just little 'different' than the average Joe
Left Brain - 2012-09-20 5:01 PM

mad-dog - 2012-09-20 4:44 PM Left Brain, didnt you run a ~4:30 mile as a kid? That, to me, makes me think you are special. Can you tell me/us more about that? Seriously.

Again, it's not that big a deal....I could just do it.  I had two cousins that also did it.  We weren't special, that was just something we could do, I blame my grandpa..... I squandered any talent I had in that regard by being stupid.  It was a long time ago at this point.  I've managed to stay fit enough in my life to do triathlon when I feet like it. 

If you ran 93 miles in a weekend my hat's off to you, truly.....that's crazy...I couldn't do that on a bet, ever.  But nothing that people do surprises me, and I'm only impressed by the things people do that make an impact on the rest of us...maybe I could go along with them being special, but someone who does something for the sake of their own health and well-being, nah.  I think those kind of accomplishments are great, but they are far from special, at least in my mind.

Look, I don't come from the era where "everyone is a winner", and "everyone gets a medal"...I understand the sentiment that "we are all special"....I just fall in the same camp as Powerman in that regard, we are not.  And like Claww said, much better than I ever could, once you get over yourself, it makes life alot easier.

On the other hand, I'll talk about my kids all day, with anyone.  I'm proud of them, very proud.....but they're not special.

ETA - sorry, I looked back and see it was BigDH that ran 93 miles......I'm injured just thinking about it.

I find this comment and your earlier comment on my post fascinating, not offensive mind you, for a number of reasons.

1. I haven’t really followed the thread, I assumed it was generally how we (generally in the way we may have things in common), are different from others(who differ from us again in ways that we may have in common), my little story was to illustrate the point that we have different things to talk about regarding what we did on the weekend. Sometimes those things are just so far past the realm of other peoples experience that they don’t even look at you in amazement they simply look at you incomprehensibly.
It would be no different than if I asked someone how their weekend went and they said, “it was okay, entered a chili making contest but I only made it to round 3.” I mean I know nothing about chili making contests but this interests me. If I ask someone a question I am interested in the answer.

Perhaps my answer wasn’t clear, I am not walking up to people wearing my 2012 race toque and telling people at the crosswalk, “dude, that race on the weekend was killer.” Casual friends ask how my weekend went and I tell them. Some of them actually take an interest and I tell them my story, which I think is a unique, and yes, therefore a special one. But, then again, I imagine they would be interested if I told them I went to the zoo with my kids.

I don’t get it, I don’t get when you would talk to people about anything. One of the most interesting conversations you can have with people is to talk to them about things they find passion in. Why wouldn’t you give people that opportunity to have that conversation with you. Sure beats talking about the horrible episode of Bones that was on this week.

2. Your answered a different unrelated and unasked question which was how you were different than me. I am puzzled and again, fascinated as to why you did this. (oh I get this now because I read back a bit and it was a point you were making all along, so I see, doing it for emphasis)

3. What I find strange about your comment on my post was that is ridiculous when applied to itself. You claim that you don’t think you are special and don’t point out how you are special or what you did because you don’t think you are special, yet you answer a question that wasn’t asked in order to point out how you are unique, or different in any respect.

You can’t answer the question, “how are you different?” with “I am different because I don’t care I am different and in fact think I am not different and would never tell anyone I am different,” and retain any amount of credibility with your answer.

More generally, I agree with your comments that no one is super duper special. But we are all a little interesting.
Anyways, I worked a bit on this reply. You always seem like quite the introspective and self aware poster and I am especially interested in your answer to 3.

2012-09-20 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4412857

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

FuryUs - 2012-09-15 5:47 PM You rode your bike how far?  A bicycle?

I am going on a Disney Cruise in November.  I am figuring out my running plan.  Probably early morning treadmill.

Gotta get ready for the Goofy!

2012-09-20 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4421235

User image

Pro
thor67 - 2012-09-20 7:03 PM

mad-dog - 2012-09-20 4:44 PM Left Brain, didnt you run a ~4:30 mile as a kid? That, to me, makes me think you are special. Can you tell me/us more about that? Seriously.

Again, it's not that big a deal....I could just do it.  I had two cousins that also did it.  We weren't special, that was just something we could do, I blame my grandpa..... I squandered any talent I had in that regard by being stupid.  It was a long time ago at this point.  I've managed to stay fit enough in my life to do triathlon when I feet like it. 

If you ran 93 miles in a weekend my hat's off to you, truly.....that's crazy...I couldn't do that on a bet, ever.  But nothing that people do surprises me, and I'm only impressed by the things people do that make an impact on the rest of us...maybe I could go along with them being special, but someone who does something for the sake of their own health and well-being, nah.  I think those kind of accomplishments are great, but they are far from special, at least in my mind.

Look, I don't come from the era where "everyone is a winner", and "everyone gets a medal"...I understand the sentiment that "we are all special"....I just fall in the same camp as Powerman in that regard, we are not.  And like Claww said, much better than I ever could, once you get over yourself, it makes life alot easier.

On the other hand, I'll talk about my kids all day, with anyone.  I'm proud of them, very proud.....but they're not special.

ETA - sorry, I looked back and see it was BigDH that ran 93 miles......I'm injured just thinking about it.

Wow, that is pretty sad that your kids are not special to you...I guess that would make you different than the average joe though.

Well, now isn't THAT special?  Laughing

My kids are not special....but they are talented.  I'll tell you what...since this started about being special, or not "normal", with regard to triathlon, and seeing how this is a triathlon board, and in the interest of showing you what I mean instead of just typing it and having it taken the wrong way.....let's do this:  

Let's set up a sprint tri match race between you and my 14 year old son....you and I will put up the deeds of our homes, with you being able to keep both deeds if you win and me keeping both if he wins. (I'll give him yours when he turns 18......he can call it "Special Acres".

This will work as a lesson because at the end he will still not be special.......but you WILL be homeless and have a better idea of what I meant. Cool

C'mon.....it'll be much more fun than sniping on a chat board. Laughing

2012-09-20 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4421378

User image

Pro
BigDH - 2012-09-20 9:39 PM

I find this comment and your earlier comment on my post fascinating, not offensive mind you, for a number of reasons. 1. I haven’t really followed the thread, I assumed it was generally how we (generally in the way we may have things in common), are different from others(who differ from us again in ways that we may have in common), my little story was to illustrate the point that we have different things to talk about regarding what we did on the weekend. Sometimes those things are just so far past the realm of other peoples experience that they don’t even look at you in amazement they simply look at you incomprehensibly. It would be no different than if I asked someone how their weekend went and they said, “it was okay, entered a chili making contest but I only made it to round 3.” I mean I know nothing about chili making contests but this interests me. If I ask someone a question I am interested in the answer. Perhaps my answer wasn’t clear, I am not walking up to people wearing my 2012 race toque and telling people at the crosswalk, “dude, that race on the weekend was killer.” Casual friends ask how my weekend went and I tell them. Some of them actually take an interest and I tell them my story, which I think is a unique, and yes, therefore a special one. But, then again, I imagine they would be interested if I told them I went to the zoo with my kids. I don’t get it, I don’t get when you would talk to people about anything. One of the most interesting conversations you can have with people is to talk to them about things they find passion in. Why wouldn’t you give people that opportunity to have that conversation with you. Sure beats talking about the horrible episode of Bones that was on this week. 2. Your answered a different unrelated and unasked question which was how you were different than me. I am puzzled and again, fascinated as to why you did this. (oh I get this now because I read back a bit and it was a point you were making all along, so I see, doing it for emphasis) 3. What I find strange about your comment on my post was that is ridiculous when applied to itself. You claim that you don’t think you are special and don’t point out how you are special or what you did because you don’t think you are special, yet you answer a question that wasn’t asked in order to point out how you are unique, or different in any respect. You can’t answer the question, “how are you different?” with “I am different because I don’t care I am different and in fact think I am not different and would never tell anyone I am different,” and retain any amount of credibility with your answer. More generally, I agree with your comments that no one is super duper special. But we are all a little interesting. Anyways, I worked a bit on this reply. You always seem like quite the introspective and self aware poster and I am especially interested in your answer to 3.

Wait.....what?  I can't answer 3. because I'm lost....especially lost. Laughing   

I'm sure you know what you think I said, but I'm not sure what I said is what you really heard.

Try it again if you don't mind.....I'm really not sure what you are asking.

2012-09-20 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4412824

User image

Pro
Wait....now I see you and Thor are both from Canada......no wonder I can't figure out where you guys are coming from.
2012-09-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4421390

User image

Champion
Calgary
Left Brain - 2012-09-20 8:48 PM

BigDH - 2012-09-20 9:39 PM

I find this comment and your earlier comment on my post fascinating, not offensive mind you, for a number of reasons. 1. I haven’t really followed the thread, I assumed it was generally how we (generally in the way we may have things in common), are different from others(who differ from us again in ways that we may have in common), my little story was to illustrate the point that we have different things to talk about regarding what we did on the weekend. Sometimes those things are just so far past the realm of other peoples experience that they don’t even look at you in amazement they simply look at you incomprehensibly. It would be no different than if I asked someone how their weekend went and they said, “it was okay, entered a chili making contest but I only made it to round 3.” I mean I know nothing about chili making contests but this interests me. If I ask someone a question I am interested in the answer. Perhaps my answer wasn’t clear, I am not walking up to people wearing my 2012 race toque and telling people at the crosswalk, “dude, that race on the weekend was killer.” Casual friends ask how my weekend went and I tell them. Some of them actually take an interest and I tell them my story, which I think is a unique, and yes, therefore a special one. But, then again, I imagine they would be interested if I told them I went to the zoo with my kids. I don’t get it, I don’t get when you would talk to people about anything. One of the most interesting conversations you can have with people is to talk to them about things they find passion in. Why wouldn’t you give people that opportunity to have that conversation with you. Sure beats talking about the horrible episode of Bones that was on this week. 2. Your answered a different unrelated and unasked question which was how you were different than me. I am puzzled and again, fascinated as to why you did this. (oh I get this now because I read back a bit and it was a point you were making all along, so I see, doing it for emphasis) 3. What I find strange about your comment on my post was that is ridiculous when applied to itself. You claim that you don’t think you are special and don’t point out how you are special or what you did because you don’t think you are special, yet you answer a question that wasn’t asked in order to point out how you are unique, or different in any respect. You can’t answer the question, “how are you different?” with “I am different because I don’t care I am different and in fact think I am not different and would never tell anyone I am different,” and retain any amount of credibility with your answer. More generally, I agree with your comments that no one is super duper special. But we are all a little interesting. Anyways, I worked a bit on this reply. You always seem like quite the introspective and self aware poster and I am especially interested in your answer to 3.

Wait.....what?  I can't answer 3. because I'm lost....especially lost. Laughing   

I'm sure you know what you think I said, but I'm not sure what I said is what you really heard.

Try it again if you don't mind.....I'm really not sure what you are asking.

ha.

I mean answer whatever you like. Here is another shot.

What I find strange about your comment on my post was that it is ridiculous when applied to itself. You claim that you don’t think you are special because

proposition 1
A: you don’t point out how you are special ; and
B: you don’t think you are special

yet you answer a question that wasn’t asked in order to point out how

proposition 2
~A: you are special; and
~B: think you are different(therefore special).

You can't live in a universe where both prop 1 and prop 2 are true.

There may be something going on with using the words different and special interchangably, but I can't really hammer it out right now.

Anyways, it has been a bit since I took logic 2, but this has been fun for me. I can't make it any clearer than that and I may be putting words in your mouth.

2012-09-20 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4421393

User image

Champion
Calgary
Left Brain - 2012-09-20 8:52 PM

Wait....now I see you and Thor are both from Canada......no wonder I can't figure out where you guys are coming from.

it won't be an undefended border forever.

2012-09-20 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran

Now granted that I don't train and race for the sake of others, it is interesting the opinions others have when they find out what I do for fun. While some members of the community may have the view that doing this sort of thing does not make one "special" or unique, people who don't do it DO find it interesting and unique from my experience. This is just like how I find it interesting and unique to chat with my coworkers about their motorcycles and rides they go out on. I know next to nothing about motorcycles, and that is why I enjoy hearing about it from them. Generally I find that people who do SOMETHING and are passionate about it are more interesting in general. I think the key is just to realize that just because you do something different than other people does not make you BETTER than other people. With athletics it seems to be a little easier to fall into this trap than other interests because it is a competitive endeavor.

That said, yes, I participate in a sport where it is considered acceptable to urinate on one's self. That does make me slightly different than most people who either haven't done it since they were a child or the last time they went out and drank a little too much. haha.

2012-09-20 10:04 PM

User image

Pro

Yeah, DH, I don't know where I answered a question that wasn't asked.

Heeeeeyy.....wait a minute.....you're my wife pretending to be a guy from Canada aren't you?!?! Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2012-09-20 10:09 PM
2012-09-20 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4421409

User image

Champion
Calgary
Left Brain - 2012-09-20 9:04 PM

Yeah, DH, I don't know where I answered a question that wasn't asked.

Heeeeeyy.....wait a minute.....you're my wife pretending to be a guy from Canada aren't you?!?! Laughing

whoa, I don't play that way on the internet.
2012-09-20 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4421406

User image

Elite
MikeK_PA - 2012-09-20 9:02 PM

That said, yes, I participate in a sport where it is considered acceptable to urinate on one's self. That does make me slightly different than most people who either haven't done it since they were a child or the last time they went out and drank a little too much. haha.

Well you got me there... to some people, that certainly could earn one the distinction of "special".Wink

Edited by powerman 2012-09-20 10:14 PM

2012-09-20 10:16 PM

User image

Pro

So did you really run 93 miles?  If so, that's impressive.  I don't even want to drive 93 miles.

Oh no.....I think I just warped us over to the "stupid things people say to you" thread on COJ......this is all gonna end in a fiery crash. Laughing

2012-09-20 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4421420

User image

Champion
Calgary
Left Brain - 2012-09-20 9:16 PM

So did you really run 93 miles?  If so, that's impressive.  I don't even want to drive 93 miles.

Oh no.....I think I just warped us over to the "stupid things people say to you" thread on COJ......this is all gonna end in a fiery crash. Laughing

It may, especially since it is my favorite topic in all the world. I wish that was sarcasm. But it was such a long day and to end up 7 miles short, and the way it happened. I can talk about it forever. And have. And may again. But not here. So as to avoid the fiery crash.
2012-09-21 5:30 AM
in reply to: #4421386

User image

Expert
Left Brain - 2012-09-20 10:43 PM 

Let's set up a sprint tri match race between you and my 14 year old son....you and I will put up the deeds of our homes, with you being able to keep both deeds if you win and me keeping both if he wins. (I'll give him yours when he turns 18......he can call it "Special Acres".

This will work as a lesson because at the end he will still not be special.......but you WILL be homeless and have a better idea of what I meant. Cool

Your son may not be special, but thats a good back door brag man!!!

My son will prolly never podium, but he'll race cause he's got perseverance. 

(thats my back door bragCool

Edited by KateTri1 2012-09-21 5:36 AM
2012-09-21 7:43 AM

Expert
Wow! We couldnt beat you either when you where 14. I dont feel special any more. Insightful thread.
2012-09-21 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
This post has reached the point where it just sucks the life and joy out of triathlon.

2012-09-21 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4421852

User image

Expert

sulross - 2012-09-21 10:26 AM This post has reached the point where it just sucks the life and joy out of triathlon.

Ok. I am gonna stop posting on this thread but, I can't resist responding to this comment. I'm not sure why you bothered to respond... Your comment had the same effect.. not on my enthusiasm about triathlon, but didn't add anything relevant to the post. Irony?

This thread was overall..

a bit of thoughts shared randomly, a few misunderstandings (I think) and an some attempts at fun.. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're just little 'different' than the average Joe Rss Feed  

of 5