General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walking Boot and plantar fasciitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-16 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
Subject: Walking Boot and plantar fasciitis
I have been kicking around with plantar fasciitis for a while now... I have been thinking about trying out a walking boot. anyone ever have success with using a boot?

I have tried... inserts from a pediatrist, anti-inflammatory pills, stretching, ice, golfballs, foam roller, tennis balls, cold glass bottle, Love my Strutz....

now just thinking of using a walking boot for 6 weeks to get it flexed at 90* for dorsiflexion vs always having it in the plantar flexion position.

2012-09-16 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4413332

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Walking Boot and plantar fasciitis

The one thing that finally got my PF under control is the Straussburg Sock (http://www.amazon.com/Strassburg-Sock-Regular-Size-Around/dp/B001AW3O00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347810065&sr=8-1&keywords=strassburg+sock).  When my PF flares up, I wear it when sitting for long periods in the evening and especially when I sleep.  It takes a little getting used to but it has worked for me and for now for a very fast running colleague who, like you, tried all those other things. 

Got the recommendation from my Sports Podiatrist with the explanation that you need to stretch and keep the PF stretched and that when you are sitting relaxed watching TV or something, you unconciously contract it to make it more comfortable.  When sleeping that occurs naturally and if you sleep on your stomach, to a major degree (your ankle will rotate and straighten out you foot, allowing the PF to contract).  The Sock forces your foot into dorsiflexion as opposed to Plantar Flexion, so ensures that stretch.  It is fully adjustable, so start out with a gentle stretch and as the PF stretches, you can gradually increase the tension/stretch.

Hope this helps!

2012-09-16 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just my 2 cents, but I'd try the sock the pp mentioned first b/c the boot just plain S@cks. I'm on week 4 b/c of a fracture and can't wait to chuck the thing. I wondered at the time too if it would cure my occasional pf but seems it's so awkward, it seems like my heal actually hurts more at times so can't say if it's an answer or not for you but it would be my last resort that's for sure. Good luck, hope the pf clears up for you!

Patsy

2012-09-16 11:11 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

I tried absolutely everything for my stupid PF, but it didn't start to heal until I started wearing the night brace (similar to a Strassburg sock). I would recommend trying that first.

Good luck!

2012-09-16 12:52 PM

New user
As someone who tried the walking boot, the socks, the stretches, the ice, the anti inflammatories, the new insets, the new shoes, the night braces, and everything else I could find on the 'net (and yes, I own a book on the subject now, too), I'd recommend a trip to a physical therapist to check for whole leg strength and flexibility issues. After eight years of flare-ups, I bit the bullet and discovered that tight hammies and calves, weak hips, limited range of motion in my ankles, and some ancient scar tissue in my heal (they broke it up with some excruciating deep-tissue massage) were at fault. Some of the self-treatment I'd done locking my lower leg in a single position for periods of time actually made things worse.
2012-09-16 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA

I have been side-lined with PF since February of this year.  I've tried EVERYTHING that I could find on the web, including the boot.  Nothing worked.  Finally, a month ago I got a CORTISONE shot from a podiatrist.  Pure magic.  I've been out running pain free.  Hopefully, I won't have to repeat the treatment.  Some people have said that it is only temporary.  We'll see.

2012-09-16 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia

Had it in both feet for over 3 years. Its manageable now, but honestly Im terrified to run. I swim and bike. I don't want this thing back again for another 3. Looking back I wish I had tried the boot. I couldn't handle the sock as it pulls the toes back, and this caused severe pain at the plantar tendon insertion point at the heel for me. I have been told the cortisone destroys your heels fat padding, and thats why they can only give a few shots per year. Also, the needle can cause further tendon damage, but hey when your in unbelievable pain, what can you do? One thing I did do was religiously stretch. Thinking back Im wondering if thats why it took so long to resolve. One report I read said to treat it like any other sprain. We don't aggressively stretch sprains. We control the load and allow healing. 

2012-09-16 7:39 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Ditto on the sock- its a great option. I am a physical therapist also so I do recommend seeing one too. There are a lot of things we can do to help decrease the pain and improve flexibility. Some simple exercises really do make a difference. Boots suck but can help also. Try the sock at night first.
2012-09-16 8:33 PM

User image

Regular

I had PF in my left foot for about 10 months and then ended up with a stress fracture in the left heel.  Not sure what caused the stress fx since I was rehabbing my foot and had not been running at all.  I was in the boot for about 5 weeks.  It didn't help the PF at all.  The stress fracture healed, but the PF was still there.  I've had it on/off in both feet since 2007.  I'm about ready to find someone that will try to figure out the root cause of my PF.  I have tried everything.  And stopping running doesn't help at all.  In fact I actually developed it in my other foot while I was "resting."

jami

2012-09-16 11:47 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
I think I've finally got my PF under control. I use a night brace I got at Rite Aid and am religiously using it. I also try to wear shoes with good arch support at all times (no barefoot, no flip flops). Rolling a minimum of 3x daily on a frozen bottle and really massaging the area with a golf ball has helped immensely. I ran 2 days in a row this weekend without pain for the first time in months. Good luck, seems each case is pretty individual, but a common theme is rest alone will not heal it. Plus wearing a boot stinks.
2012-09-16 11:54 PM
in reply to: #4413964

User image

Champion
What worked for me was the "Night Splint" from Pro-Tec (www.injurybegone.com).  It is surprisingly light, and very comfortable.  I'm a lousy sleeper even at the ebst of times, but the splint did nothing to further disrupt my sleep "patterns".

2012-09-17 5:09 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd

Whatever you do, do NOT get surgery.

I had problems for over a year, my podiatrist wasn't very aggressive, other than cortisone shots, and telling me to wear socks at night to get my foot/ankle warm he gave me no other treatment options. He recommended surgery, told me I'd be back up and walking around in 3-4 days. I had the surgery and was in so much pain I couldn't have the bed sheet on my toes at night it was too painful. I saw him 5 days after surgery for a check-up and questioned the being back up and walking around in 3-4 days (could put NO weight on my foot at all) he said you are up and around, you're just on crutches. I was on the crutches for 7 weeks, and when I did start walking the pain caused me to change my gait so much I ended up with hip problems. That was years ago, and I still have as much pain in the heal of my foot now as I did before the surgery.

2012-09-17 8:27 AM

For those of you with PF - how bad is the pain?  Do you just have pain when getting out of bed in the morning and after sitting for long periods of time during the day?  I occasionally get pain but once I'm up walking on it, it goes away.  On a scale of 1-10, my pain is no more than 3.  Is this the beginning of PF?  Does your pain cause you to not be able to run or do you not run because of the after effect of the running?  I'm training for my first full marathon in 11 weeks.
2012-09-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4414208

Sugar Land, Texas
My pain can get up to a solid 7.  Not only can I not run well right now I can barely walk around the house.
2012-09-17 3:32 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I had a horrible case of PF in my right foot, and as time progressed I got in my left foot as well but it was as severe.

I had tried EVERYTHING- rolling over a frozen water bottle, wearing shoes with supprt 24/7 (my running shoes), stretching, wearing a night splint, PT, kineso taping, custom orthotics, etc.  You name it I tried it for 8 months.  I even got a cortisone injection which helped but was only a temporary fix.  After 5-6 weeks the injection wore off and the PF was back.

After seeing 1 podiatrist, 2 sports med docs, 2 PT's, I finally saw another podiatrist after dealing with it for 8 months and things just not feeling right.  I was also having pain in 2 different places on my foot as well and tendonitis.  He took an x ray and found that I had extra foot bones- one huge accessory nvaicular and 3 accessory sesamoid bones.  I had surgery to have 4 extra foot bones removed, had my post tib and peroneal tendons reanchored, my gastroc lengthened, and almost a full year later I'm training for the NYC Marathon.  My PF immediately disappeared after having foot surgery- I guess the extra foot bones just really jacked up my PF.

I wouldn't opt to be in the boot unless it's an absolute last resort recommended by a doctor.  You will lose so much muscle mass from being in it and it will take awhile to get that strength back.  And it's just a pain to wear one all the time- they are heavy and throw everything off trying to hobble around in one.

Try wearing a night splint because I do think that, (or the sock) really helps.

If you don't have luck with that then I would eventually see a doctor and try to find out what's causing your PF.  There may or may not be something more causing it.

2012-09-17 4:30 PM

I developed PF in my left foot 10 years ago playing tennis.  I, like Runnergirl, had tried everything.  You name it , I did it.  Several doctors and podiatrists. All the splints and socks imaginable.  Cortisone, slanted boxes, ART, and on and on. 

Long story short, I had one PRP injection in May, and it's gone.  I didn't run for a month, and then started back slowly, and I did my first Oly last week and I am pain free. 

From what I understand, the only real negative is the $450 price tag and that it's not proven.  But, I can say for sure, it cured me. 

2012-09-17 4:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida

Taping and rest were the only thing that got me back to normal. I still have frequent twinges where I have to say "oops" better ease up a little, maybe cross train some. Taping my arch was a lot easier than the boot.

Cool

2012-09-17 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I used the sock and loved it.  Don't pull it too tight.  Your toes don't need to be pointed towards you, that just need to be NOT pointed away from you.

Eventually it went away.  Now I use mimimalist shoes and have not had a problem.

Yes, it hurt like crazy 1st thing in the morning, until the sock.  Best $40 you'll ever spend.

2012-09-17 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
I took a 110 MPH line drive off my brachial in college and the Pain I felt there was an "8" to what I was going to tell the 2 Athletic Trainers... Once they said a 7 meant I needed to go to the Hospital it immediately dropped to a 6.

So the Plantar is around a 4 all day!!! worse when I wake up and when I sit down to rest at night.

I am training for a marathon that is is 4 weeks and have a... 20, 12, 8, Marathon... Left.

After that I am going to go to a PT and see what she can do. and spend November - when ever fixing this stupid problem.

I am a PE / Health Teacher and spend around 5-6 hours walking around during the day, Lift and run, active etc... In the spring and Summer I coach Baseball and walk around from 4-8 hrs a day. sometimes more.

Right now I use inserts every day and stretch... NO help so I was going to use the Boot as a night splint... or as a 2-4 week fix... depending on what the PT and new pediatrist say

2012-09-17 10:49 PM

User image

Pro

My pain was so bad at one point I didn't think I was going to make 2 miles walking back to my truck after it flared on a run.  I did the night boot, ice rolled, tennis ball, etc. for months.......I got a simple set of inserts from walgreens that were advertised to help with PF for $7.99.....dropped them in every  pair of shoes I wore, and it was gone in 3 weeks.

Go figure.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-09-17 10:49 PM
2012-09-24 6:24 AM

Plantar fasciitis is one of the more common pain complaints that I see. I see really good results through the combination of deep tissue massage (from a highly skilled fascial therapist); self massage using a foam roller and lacrosse or soft ball; flexibility; and corrective exercises. I generally see significant reductions in pain within 2-4 sessions.

You said you've tried foam rolling. What areas did you foam roll? Plantar fasciitis pain is usually in the foot area, but the cause is from the calves up to the hips. If you don't address the calves and hips, you will get very little relief.

Here are some self massage and flexibility exercises that I have had pretty good success with in treating plantar fasciitis.

http://tao-fit.com/self-treatment-for-plantar-fasciitis

I hope this helps. Good luck.

2017-05-15 5:20 AM
in reply to: tri-dg

I use Wolverine Men's Wolverine SD Mid Boot and I strongly recommend it . They are constructed with a tough, split suede leather and mesh upper that breathes to eliminate interior moisture and odor. In addition, they are featured with a removable cushioned footbed and static-dissipating steel toe that prevents shock plus provides adequate protection from impacts and compression. The slip resistant outsole prevents slippage on wet surfaces, plus provides oil and abrasion resistance as well. Comfort is provided by the EVA midsole comfort cushion and the durable fiberglass shank that molds to your heel and arch area to provide flexible support to the areas that require it most. An easy lace-up feature allows you to adjust the comfort and support of your boot, which is necessary for those with Plantar Fasciitis. It is one of the top rated boots on http://www.bootratings.com/best-work-boots-for-plantar-fasciitis/
2017-05-17 7:53 PM
in reply to: RyanBrandon

User image

For me, after years of plantar fasciitis and trying every treatment in creation, someone suggested a very simple solution: NEVER step out of bed in the morning barefoot, but ALWAYS into supportive shoes (with or without orthotics.) Once I followed that rule without exception, my plantar fasciitis was totally cured within about three weeks and never returned.
Wishing you all the best!
2018-01-25 3:48 AM

this is a great massege for those who are walking to longer habing walking boot problem shoes for plantar fasciitis and bunion this rest may be very helpful for relieving plantar fasciitis.
https://www.orthofeet.com/collections/slippers
2018-01-31 8:25 PM

New user

The problem with plantar fasciitis is that everyone is looking at your foot, but the source of the condition is frequently your lower leg muscles. I've worked with thousands of athletes over the past 29 years, and I've found that releasing the spasms in all of the muscles of your lower leg will 99% of the time eliminate the pain of plantar fasciitis (actually I never had someone it didn't help, but we'll consider that someone out there could be the exception).

The muscles of the front of your lower leg both insert into your arch. The tibialis anterior muscle, which runs along the outside of your shin bone, inserts into the long bone (metatarsal) that is on the medial side of your foot (at the arch). When it contracts normally it will pull on the bone and your foot rolls out toward the outside edge of your foot. The peroneal muscles are on the very outside of your lower leg. The tendons pass behind your outside ankle bone, and then insert into the long bone at the outside edge of your foot, and also on the same metatarsal as the tibialis anterior, at your arch. When the peroneals contract they lift up the outside of your foot so you roll in toward your arch.

When these muscles are in spasm (a common condition for runners) they are pulling the bones of your foot in two different directions. This gets compounded by your calf muscles which merge into your Achilles tendon, which inserts into your heel. When it contracts normally you pick up your heel. When it is in spasm it is pulling up on your heel bone but you are trying to stand flat on the floor. This puts a backward strain on your arch (and several other problems we won't discuss here). Your arch is now being pulling in three directions, and you feel pain in your arch, but it's coming from your lower leg.

If you go to my Instagram page (PainFreeDrugFree) you'll find free self-treatments for plantar fasciitis, and a lot more. I've also written a self-treatment book titled "The Pain-Free Athlete," that demonstrates treatments for chronic pain and sports injuries throughout the body. The book will be advertised here on the website, although I don't think it's here yet.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walking Boot and plantar fasciitis Rss Feed  

of 2