General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Portage Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Akron, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m
Overall Rank = 18/21
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Tried to stay as warm as possible.... lolled about in the wetsuit in the sunshine on the sand like a beached porpoise.
Event warmup:

Same as above. Lots of clapping and cheering the 9 million waves of triathletes that went ahead of mine (second to last wave... boo!)
Swim
  • 29m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I actually free-styled the whole race, except for a couple of strokes on the first lap when we were swimming into the sun and I couldn't catch sight of the buoy. This was a great swim for me and I was thrilled with this segment of the race. Wonderful way to start the race.
What would you do differently?:

Probably sight more often, I started to tire about mid-way through the second lap and got slightly off-course a couple of times, nothing terrible but enough that it probably added a minute or two to my time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Took an extra bit of time in T1 to dry off a bit more than usual and put on a long-sleeve shirt. Cold weather and wet clothes = BRRRRR on the bike. The Under Armor shirt worked well last year at this race and it worked well again this year.

More Body Glide on the ankles??? May try some of the spray stuff next year.
Bike
  • 1h 38m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Nothing to add here... this is just a flippin hard course.

Practice more hills??? I do ride hills, my new bike courses are chock full of them, they just aren't as steep as those ones today.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

T2 time should be good, not much to do here.

Not much - everything went well.
Run
  • 1h 03m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile

LOL - I would have designed the course differently! Not much I, personally could have done. My legs were toast after the bike and I was surprised that I could actually run the whole distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked quite a bit, my legs were immediately stiff and sore.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills!

Event comments:

This is a well-run local race. Tons of volunteers, tons of water stations and the courses (well at least the bike course) were marked well. Not that this is a reflection at all on the race directors at all, but the traffic cops were all super nice!

Last updated: 2012-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:41 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 6/21
Performance: Good
Suit: 2-piece tri suit and full wetsuit
Course: Two laps in a shallow, inland lake, no waves, aside from the flailing men that us semi-fast women caught up to. Wow, some of those guys had NO business attempting a one-mile swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:38:28 | 24.85 miles | 15.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 15/21
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: HILLY!!! Amazing how one's memory can dull the pain from a prior race. This course was brutal last year and it was just as brutal this year, except this year, was two laps of hill hell. I looked at the Garmin near the crest of one hill, and I was going 5, yes FIVE mph. Needless to say there were a few expletives along the way!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:23 | 06.21 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 5/21
Performance: Average
Course: Jacked up! Whoever designed this course was on crack. They threw this goofy double loop into the course that confused the hell out of everyone running the OLY distance. I actually stopped to ask directions at the beginning so I knew, but not everyone else did that and a few people didn't quite get it right. More than a few ups and downs here, but at least they were gradual. POST REPORT NOTE: It seems that due to the crazy ass course, not all of my fellow racers completed the entire 6.2 miles. Since there is no way to tell, I will never now exactly where I placed on this segment, but maybe, just maybe it wasn't DFL!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-16 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: Portage Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-09-18 4:37 AM
in reply to: #4413699

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Portage Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course
Looks like a good solid race!!!  Sucks that some people cut the run course short and there's no way to know... at least you know YOU did the whole distance.  Brrrr, 50 WAS cold!!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed