Long Beach, California
United States
Pacific Sports
Total Time = 1h 11m 58s
Overall Rank = 35/681
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/52
Pre-race routine:

Wife hit the snooze button a few too many times, so I woke up late. Jumped up, put on my helmet and backpack, shoved a poptart in my mouth, and hit the road. It's about a 4 mile ride down to the race start for me, only took about 15 minutes, but it was dark and really foggy (which was a change from the record 102 degree temp we had the days before). Got to transition at 6:30 (race started at 7:00) and got setup quick. This all seems so easy after racing Ironman the last 18 months!

Walked down the beach and was ready to go.
Swim
  • 15m 20s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim went just okay. I felt great during the sprint to the first turn buoy, but as soon as we started going along the shore, it seemed my sighting was just off. I think it may have been partly to do with the incoming tide since I kept getting pushed inside the buoy line. I'm sure I swam farther than I needed to,but I kept up a good solid effort. It was a super long run up the deep sand to T1, and that had me hufing and puffing. I haven't done much of any swim training lately, so I know if I put in some good time at the pool, I'll be able to mix it up at the front.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Pretty quick. Suit came off quick, helmet on, race belt on...off to the races. Had my shoes already clipped in. Didn't do a running mount, but this is so much better than running across a parking lot in bike shoes. Also kept it quick by not bothering to get the sand off my feet. Didn't bother me at all.
Bike
  • 33m 6s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Not really happy with my bike performance. It went well enough, but climbing the bridge (twice) took more out of me than it should. I also somehow dropped my chain between the small cog on the cassette and the chain stays, which locked it up coming off the bridge on the first lap. I should have been able to cruise at like 35mph here, instead I had to get off an d fix it. I figure it cost me 2 minutes since I had to slow down to stop, then get back up to speed. Fixing the chain took less than 30 seconds though. I felt great coming into T2 though...
What would you do differently?:

Ride harder?
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Could have been faster I suppose, but I'm happy with it. Racked my bike, off with the helmet, KSwiss Kruuz 1.5s on, off I went.
Run
  • 21m 6s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great starting the run, and only felt stronger as I went. Not sure what my splits were (damn you Garmin...failed me again!) but I'm pretty sure I negative split it. After the turnaround, I picked up the pace, then with a mile to go I laid the hammer down as best I could. I never felt or heard anyone behind me, but it turns out 5th place in my AG was only 3 seconds behind me.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate two orange slices, waited for the results to get posted, then grabbed my stuff and rode home.

Event comments:

This is a fantastic hometown race with lots of spectators and participants. Loved it!

Last updated: 2012-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:20 | 880 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/52
Overall: 0/681
Performance:
Suit: Yes
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: