Set Up Events
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 40s
Overall Rank = 67/187
Age Group = Masters Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4, and on the road at 4:40am - Google claimed 1hr 49 min travel time, made it in 1hr 35mins. - drove the bike course (great idea). Parked, got my race credentials, and headed to transition area. Ran into Glynn Boze, tghe bell cow for my age group in NC. Good guy but so fast. Realized I left my aero bottle at home - so it would back to the bottle on the frame.
Event warmup:

Decided to take the bike out for a ride - ended up crashing as I tried to ride the hill out of transition. Embarrassing but important later. Ran some, swam some, hit the head a few times. Calves felt tight but overall ok. I was super anxious before - last event of the year, and if I perform well I can possibly finish top 5 in the IOTS NC series for the year in my age group.
Swim
  • 15m 33s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim, off in pairs and had a master clyde in front and another in my pairing. The other clyde took off and decided to settle in - I caught a few folks along the way and felt good on the swim. I warmed up and the exit was link - so I swam right to the mats which was a big deal.

This is a PR for a 750 open water swim for me
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - We did start late due to the assisted athletes which was just fine
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Got of the water my and my HR was high - reflected a strong swim. Took a few seconds to grab some water. The other clydes were out before me but not by much.
Bike
  • 40m 29s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride - had a rider that played hop scotched each other the whole route - I trailed him for a good 5 miles them caught him and passed him. He was the only person to really race me - passed a bunch of folks. Traffic was ok until the very end - as I got ready to turn in there was a SUV stopped and had to brake for it - and the guy I was racing passed me here for good. Had a woman pass as we were coming pack into transition when the road was split into three lanes, very dangerous pass. This was the only part of the course that a problem.

When I got on the bike, my HR was 164 and worked hard to bring it down. I started in granny gear which was the right decision - as I passed Greg on the hill as he was running his bike up the hill.

Really nothing - good bike and felt like I went hard while leaving some in the tank. Knew that I needed to get a few minutes on my competitors to place. Beat Greg Sidden (who was 4th and wnet off on the swim with me) by over 3 minutes - which was huge. The guy who finished second beat me by two mins on the bike which was huge - and Glynn only beat me by 10 seconds
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Felt ok - struggled getting my shoes on and took a second to get something to drink
Run
  • 25m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran hard - knew that Greg was coming. Saw him at the turn around and had him by 200 yards. I ran hard. Did not get passed on the run which was a first and passed some folks. The woman who made that dangerous pass on the bike - passed her and left her. Guy I raced on the bike - yeah got him - but seriously I ran the last half of the race by myself.

Nothing at all
Post race
Warm down:

Wow - I was just spent - got some water, a coke and pizza - and looked at results. Got what I thought was second to Glynn by 27 seconds over Greg. Later we found out about an Army officer who beat us both, who had registered that morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much - best race of the year - ankles felt good (healed plus new shoes) - I was little tired from the early morning but not too bad

Event comments:

This is a good year end of race - lake is clear and warm. Really like the time trial start - bike course was good, with some rough roads (trick was to ride on the section worn down by the cars) - and the run had tons of shade - Being up in Rockingham County - lots of folks from Virginia had come down for the race. This was my travel race and likely final race for the year

Last updated: 2012-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:33 | 820 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 96/187
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Triangle
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:29 | 14.5 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 37/187
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Nice rolling course with one decent hill
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:59 | 03.11 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 112/187
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back - up hill for the first half mile out of transition then up and down to the turn around
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-16 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon

2012-09-18 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4413784

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your race!!!  Awesome bike split!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed