Southwest Florida Events
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 21s
Overall Rank = 144/650
Age Group = 35-39 Age Group
Age Group Rank = 24/52
Pre-race routine:

Should have gotten up earlier!!! Also, should have packed breakfast!!! Fortunately, I did get there in time and my wife had cereal and granola bars packed, so everything was OK. The parking situation at the race is not good.
Event warmup:

Ride the last quarter mile to transition, wait to get marked and pick up chip, rush to get transition set up, run to the porti-pottie, walk to the beach, get in line for the start.
Swim
  • 08m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeing as I hadn't swam a single lap since my last race, this swim went great. Got into a good rhythm early and stayed with it. Started catching swimmers from the first wave within the first 75 yards. Starting the slowest way first is a BAD idea. Passed a lot of people which isn't normal.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure, I know I should be swimming more, but its hard to justify the extra time when the results are good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

LOOOOOOOOOOOONG run with the bike from T1 exit to the mount line, close to 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile over, grass, concrete and asphalt.

Nothing, just glad I know how to run with my bike.
Bike
  • 29m 40s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Actually had a guy call "paceline" as a group of 4-6 riders passed me just before the turn around. Had been chasing a guy in my AG, but he was part of the same training group (Geared Up) as the paceline so when they passed me they let him in and that was the last I saw of him. Really ticked me off. Found out later from a friend, that there were several guys drafting off of me during the ride. Never knew they were there.

Just ride more during training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Another LOOOOOOONG run with the bike, although not as long as T1. Had a spot right by the fence, so my family was right there. Let them know I had lost a bottle right near the dismount line as I was heading out. They went and found it while I was running. Somehow managed to park my bike on my race belt, tore my race bib trying to get it out from under the wheel.

Not worry about my dropped bottle until after the race. Talking while racking my bike is not a good thing.
Run
  • 29m 15s
  • 3.09 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Slower than last year by almost 3 minutes, but my fasted average run so far this season. The 15 pounds I've lost is really making a difference. 15 more and I'll be right where I want to be.

Run more and lose more weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Powerade, ice towel and found some shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of tri specific training. This was my first swim since my last race and the first BRICK since my last race. Still trying to tweak my schedule to get training time on a regular basis.

Event comments:

Made changes this year that really did not work. Hope they will listen to participant feedback to continue to make this a great race. The venue is fantastic.

Last updated: 2012-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:14 | 440 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/52
Overall: 0/650
Performance: Good
Suit: Ryder Bikes Tri Suit
Course: South to north, point to point, parallel to the shore in the Gulf of Mexico.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:40 | 10 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/52
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back, closed road, rough first/last 1.5 miles, no course marshal's so lots of drafting. Plus the start the slowest wave first so there is a lot of traffic and tight passes.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:15 | 03.09 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/52
Course: 2 laps around the north end of the resort, 5 total water stops, very scenic run. Changed the finish this year so that it ended in the middle of the expo/awards area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes