General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running - foot goes numb Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-17 9:50 AM

User image

Subject: running - foot goes numb
I can't figure out why this is happening, but my right foot goes completely numb when I run. The first mile my ankle hurts (this is normal - bad ankle) then around the 2 mile mark my toes start going numb and by mile 3 the whole foot is numb. At that point though my ankle no longer hurts so it isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

I thought for a while it was a shoe thing but it's continued to do this through 3 different pairs of shoes. I've had help from a couple running coaches with my form and they don't really have a geuss as to what's causing it, nor does my physical therapist.

As soon as I stop running the feeling comes back within a minute or two. Any ideas?

2012-09-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4414372

User image

Subject: RE: running - foot goes numb
This is super simple but are your shoes possibly laced too tight in the middle?
2012-09-17 10:58 AM

User image

I've tried playing with the laces... regular laces, speed laces, looser, tigher... no difference. One pair of shoes actually laced toward the side as well and still it was the same thing.
2012-09-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4414518

User image

Extreme Veteran

LastLaugh - 2012-09-17 10:58 AM I've tried playing with the laces... regular laces, speed laces, looser, tigher... no difference. One pair of shoes actually laced toward the side as well and still it was the same thing.

Go to an MD and tell the doc.  They can check pulses in feet, compare to other areas.  Could be something arterial.  I had a blood clot weay up in my illiac artery and my right foot would go numb like that.  was always cold too.....just wasnt getting enough blood.

2012-09-17 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida

I have had that problem before. For me it was my laces. I wear a control shoe with high arch (Brooks Adrenaline) and whenever I get a new pair my foot sometimes takes a nap at about 2-3 miles. I think my laces were too tight. I found that my shoelaces seem to get looser as I run and sweat, so I have to start with them a little tighter than maybe optimum. So, I tried a pair of Yankz elastic laces. I adjusted them fairly loose, and this seems to work. The elastic laces tighten gently on their own as you run, so you get a flexible, pretty consistent, comfortable fit. And once you get them adjusted how you want, they are so easy to just grab your shoe and pull it on. Not a paid advertisement ... 

Cool

2012-09-17 6:15 PM

User image

Elite

I used to have this problem too and it was linked to my shin splints and calf tightness.  Basically as my feet and legs would warm up the muscles would swell a little and the band of tendons around my ankle would then be tight and cause blood flow restriction and hence numb foot (only one!)

I found once i had warmed up to stop and retie my laces a bit looser do a bit of an achilles stretch and then continue.  sometimes had to take shoe off, wiggle toes and then replace.  Only a matter of 20-30 secs so no real drama.

Massage also helped.  Once i fixed up my shin splints and calf stretches the numbness never returned.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running - foot goes numb Rss Feed