Southwest Florida Events
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 7s
Overall Rank = 338/750
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/52
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:10 am. Ate my breakfast of a half of a bagel with peanut butter and coffee w/ milk and sugar. Relax for a bit and let nature take its course. Apply copious amounts of sunscreen. Left the room about 5:15 (we stayed on-site) for the approx 1 mile bike ride to the transition area. Check in to get marked with race number, acquire timer chip and set up transition area.
Event warmup:

We had a .25 beach walk to the start line from the transition area. Got in the water once the sun was up enough to see. I swam for about 5-10 minutes before getting out in preperation for wave 1 to start. I started in wave 2.
Swim
  • 08m 59s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very slow swim start. Slower swimmers in front of me prevented me from swimming "my pace", when I got to the first bouy it was ridulously slow to get around the bouy... almost a dog paddle there were so many people in such a small space. Once around the bouy the field seperated a little. I felt my swim was slowed due to slower swimmers in front of me. I was preparred to be kicked and hit in the pack, but was a little suprised at how many people were swimming breast stroke. I think I got kicked in the ribs by each and everyone of them. I am not sure what to do to avoid this, without being the first in the water. Since this was my first triathlon I was not aiming to be the "first one anywhere". I know for the future to get myself in front for the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Get in front, and swim hard for the first 100, then settle into pace, hopefully in a thinned out field. I am a much faster open water swimmer than what is represented in the race... if I am disappointed about any part of the race it was the swim....disappointed just isn't the right word though...
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Since this was my first triathlon I have no comparison, but the distance from the beach to the transition and the distance from the transition to the bike mount area seemed kind of far. This is not a complaint, just an observation that makes up for some of the long transition time. I ride a hybrid bike (Cannondale Comfort 5)and have pedal cages. First thing I put my run shorts on over my swim suit (Speedo Jammers) and went to work getting the remaining sand off my feet, and got my socks and running shoes on. Because of the long run from the beach to the transition area I was not dripping wet and did not have to fight myself getting my running shirt on. I had prepinned my run number to my race shirt since I do not have a race belt. Helmet and sunglasses were next, I unracked my bike and was off running with the bike to the mounting area.

I will upgrade to a actual tri suit for my next race. That will elimintae some of the steps of my first T1. I can't run without socks so I am not sure that there is a good answer with dealing with my feet and sand. Also, when an upgrade in bike happens the shoe situation will change as well.
Bike
  • 38m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.69 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike loop I could have done harder. I paid attention to my cycling computer and tried my best to stay in "my zone" but no matter how much tried my speed crept up. I imagine it had something to do with me hearing the same phase over and over and over on the bike "On Your Left". That was somewhat frustrating. Since I live locally I am absolutely used to the conditions that I was biking in and yet I was going faster than I do normally. I forced myself to back down over and over telling myself that I need to run when I am done with this.

Go a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

My transition could not have been better for T2. Since my running number was already on I only had to rack my bike and change from helmet to running hat.

I have no idea...
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was great. I took it easy off the bike. Being my first triathlon I wanted to finish the race running. Much like the bike I could have gone a little harder in the run. I am happy with the time, but it could have been better.

Go harder.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing how I would perform in race conditions I took it a liitle too easy. I know now I can push myself harder on the bike and run. I need better strategy on the swim and that will help as well.

Event comments:

Even though this was my first triathlon, I thought it was great. Kudos all around to those that put it on. My only suggestion to make it betteris for a louder megaphone...some of the announcement were hard to hear, otherwise perfect. I would sign up for this event now for next year if I could.

Last updated: 2012-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:59 | 440 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/52
Overall: 0/750
Performance: Average
Suit: Speedo Jammers no wetsuit
Course: Beach start, about 15 yards from the water break. Bouy was 50 yards out, water was wonderful, very clear and very smooth. Right turn at first bouy, 340 yards with 1 bouy in the middle, right at last bouy.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:15 | 10 miles | 15.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/52
Overall: 0/750
Wind: Little
Course: The bike loop is a 5 mile out and back. I believe it is a shorter ride due to the size of the island, the turn around is at the foot of the birdge that leaves the island and the Start/Finish lines are at the opposite end of the island. It seems to be a fairly straight, fast course...a couple "S" turns and the turn around was a hairpin turn, but otherwise straight and fast. Very, very flat... as is everything in south Florida.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:17 | 03.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/52
Overall: 338/750
Course: 2 loops on a golf cart path. Beautiful facility made for a very nice course to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-17 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Galloway Captiva Triathlon

2012-09-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4414420

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Galloway Captiva Triathlon

Nice job on becoming a triathlete!  The first one is always special, both as a memory and a learning experience. The good thing is you WILL get faster.  Now that you understand your ability and limits, you can push harder.  The swim will always be rough at the first buoy.  If you start away from the turn, for example, at this race, start to the far left of the group, then pick a line about 5 yards to the left of the buoy, you will miss most of the pile-up.  As for the sock issue, put them on then roll them down, leave about 2 inches at the toe.  Put a little baby powder in them and when you get back to T1, you pull them on your toes then unroll them up your foot.  

Good luck and safe training!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galloway Captiva Triathlon Rss Feed