United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 16s
Overall Rank = 64/190
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45AM and got ready while Emily took the dog out. Drank about 16 oz of chocolate milk and made a banana breakfast wrap for the road. Got to Belews around 6:30, and met up with my sister and her friend who were also racing. Got my packet and timing chip, and opted to let Emily do my body marking since there was a line. Set up my transition area quickly, but forgot my sunglasses and chip in the car, so Emily graciously went back to get them for me.
Event warmup:

Stretching before the swim.
Swim
  • 16m 43s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a great swim for me. I haven't been swimming much recently, really the entire summer, and it showed here. Felt good at first, but lagged on the back stretch. Did pass a few people, and destroyed the guy I started with, so I guess there is still that.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Get back in a good routine, and stick with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Not bad. As I exited the water, I saw the guy in front of me jogging lightly, and taking up a bit too much of the chute, so I turned it up a notch and ran hard past him. A few spectators cheered and made a point of pointing out that the guy had been passed. Quick work once inside the area. A great transition overall.

I just bought some Tri specific bike shoes, and plan to practice a flying mount and putting shoes on as I ride to shorten this time in the future.
Bike
  • 43m 4s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

The sensor for my computer that was on my front wheel skewer broke off on a training ride the week before this, so I was riding by feel. I hated it. I like knowing how fast I'm going. It helps me know when to push. I could definitely tell that I was without my bike all summer, but a 20mph average is still respectable, so I'll take it. Passed everyone I came across. I got passed by a guy on a TT bike on the back side of the course, but I managed to stay with him, without drafting, and even passed him later. He did get back in front of me as we made the final turn back toward transition, but I passed him early in the run. One thing I do not like about this course, is how narrow the bike chute is going back to transition. I had to go out of the cones to pass someone who was riding right in the middle of the chute and would not move over for me.

I bought a new sensor a couple of days before the race, but had not put it on the bike yet. Next time I'll make sure my bike is race ready. I also needed to get in more bike time and start strength training again.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Went off without a hitch.

No complaints, just get faster
Run
  • 22m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad run, just not on par with other races. I was passed once, but I passed many others, as I always do on the run. This course suits me, so I was dissatisfied with my time. It could definitely be faster.

Run more. I have not run at all since my season with Outward Bound ended. That was definitely a factor. I just became the advisor for the running club at school, so I plan to use that as an opportunity to role model for my students. I've got to get back running again. 20:31 at White Lake, but 22:29 here. Just not good enough for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and hung out with Emily while we waited for my sister and her friend to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Great venue for a race. Awesome lake and great bike course. Looking forward to doing both Belews races again next year.

Last updated: 2012-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:43 | 820 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 119/190
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Triangular course beginning at one side of the boat ramp, and ending at the other.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:04 | 14.5 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 67/190
Wind: Little
Course: Oval shaped course on Shelton Rd, Ellsboro Rd, and Gideon Grove Rd. Hill leaving transition, rolling on the rest of the course with only one big up and down.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 41/190
Course: Out and back along Shelton, Campsite and Kingfisher. Uphill out of transition, then rolling for the rest of the run before dropping down to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-17 10:16 AM

Haw River, NC
Subject: Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon

2012-09-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4414443

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your race!!  I agree, Belews Lake is a pretty good venue.  I, too, want to be back next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed