United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 13s
Overall Rank = 105/213
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/30
Pre-race routine:

I prepared pretty well. My food was a little shady the day before, but I ate mostly healthy (pool party). I was well rested and hydrated during the week. I took three days off before the race, mostly because of some scheduling conflicts. Got up on time, ate a good breakfast, coffee for the trip. Felt great coming in.
Event warmup:

I lost my chip (it was found later so I didn't get charged) but got everything set up with plenty of time. I swam for a couple hundred yards or so and bobbed in the water for a while. Got my mind right and felt good.
Swim
  • 40m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was apprehensive about the distance. This was my longest OWS ever. My plan was to go easy and finish comfortably. My pace was good. I probably could have pushed a little harder, but my plan was to come out of the water feeling good. I was slower than planned, but I have not developed a good feel for how fast I'm going. I think I slowed down in the middle.
What would you do differently?:

For where I am in my swim training I am very pleased with my performance. Obviously, I need to bring my pace up. The most important thing I got from this race is that I can do the distance without problem. That was my biggest goal.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

T1 time was long because of the long run to the transition area from the swim end. Stayed with the same transition plan from other races. Things went well.

Nothing, I have a good setup.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went well. I spent most of the ride in aero, felt good. Lots of trouble moving through traffic with slower riders. Ate a gel right after T1 and another after the first lap. Drank a bottle and a half. I felt very full toward the end of the ride so I skipped the gel that I planned on taking right before T2, but I pocketed it.

Good ride. Pace was better than average and I felt good coming off the bike. No real changes needed that I can see. You always want to be faster, but I did good with what I had on race day.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I have a good T2 plan. Went smooth.

Not much, it went smoothly. The only thing I see changing is new equipment, but it went good with what I had.
Run
  • 51m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran pretty well. I may have been able to push harder, but that's still a good time for me.

I need to eat during the run. I had two gels on the bike. The plan was to eat a gel right before transition, but I felt very full so I didn't, but I did pocket it. The run was going well, but around mile 4 I suddenly got hungry and started feeling a little bad. I immediately ate the gel and felt fine. I should have just planned on eating a gel on the run. I made a good decision and things turned out well.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with friends and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little bit of experience and a little bit of ability. I didn't blow myself up because this was my first race of this distance. Good base for future races. Learned a lot

Event comments:

Good race. Well organized and friendly staff. I had dropped my chip at body marking. They solved the problem quickly. turned out a volunteer picked it up but I was getting my gear when they made the announcement. I got a new number and had plenty of time to set up. The volunteer that found it saw my edited body marking and told me what happened post race. No lost chip, so I didn't get charged. Thank goodness!

Last updated: 2012-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:06 | 1640 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/30
Overall: 176/213
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and shirt
Course: Three side lap. Lake swim with very clear water. Not sure of the exact temp but not wet suit legal.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:34 | 24.85 miles | 19.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/30
Overall: 115/213
Wind: None
Course: Most of the course was a mild hill, up or down. The hills were described as "deceptive" which is accurate. There were a couple parts where it looked flat but obviously it wasn't. Roads were ok. Well paved with very rough repairs here and there. There were a fair amount of turns at the start and end of each lap, not difficult, just enough to make it fun.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:55 | 06.21 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/30
Overall: 64/213
Course: A "Y" shaped course. Hillier than the bike, not a lot of shade. Good roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes