General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2012-09-26 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4424077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
FredsRider - 2012-09-23 3:28 PM

Name - FredsRider

Real Name - Nicole

Ironman Resume - IMWI  2009, 10, 11,12, IMFL 2011, IMCDA 2012, IMAZ 2012

Why did you choose IMWI? Living in Madison, I cannot pass up this race.The course is fantastic, the crowd support is great and the Volunteers are the best.

What are your goals for IMW2013? Remain injury free, PR, have fun.

What are you most looking forward to? -The entire day is so much fun.The swim, as the 1 loop was really nice this year. Racing with a bunch of my friends.  Crossing the finish line feels fantastic, the hills on the course.  

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Listen to your body and take rest days, as rest is part of training. If you miss a few workouts do not stress over it and do not try to cram them in. Do not over train, find a plan and stick to it, get your nutrition dialed in, ask questions, practice changing a tire so if it happens you are not panicked, enjoy race day as it goes quickly.

I live in Madison so if anyone has questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

Nicole  

Hey Nicole!,

I waited in line with you and a few other people on sign up day.  That is a crazy IM schedule you are sporting.  More power to you and here's hoping you have a great end of 2012 season and maybe I'll see you again come IMWI  Mooo!

2012-09-27 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4414876

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

I need some help from the IM Wisconsin veterans please:

I have a bunch of family members that are going to be coming to the race. They would like to all stay together so I'm looking at a house rental outside of Madison. Can you give me some details on race day logistics for spectators?

1. Is it difficult for them to find parking on race day?

2.Is it difficult for them to move around during the race. By that I mean can they drive out to Verona or Mount Horeb and then easily get back into town?

Just trying to get some idea of what race day is like from the perspective of the support crew.

Thanks,   

2012-09-27 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4429671

User image

Master
TriBoilermaker - 2012-09-27 6:48 AM

I have a bunch of family members that are going to be coming to the race. They would like to all stay together so I'm looking at a house rental outside of Madison. Can you give me some details on race day logistics for spectators?

Not at all. Great parking spot is on the corner of Webster & Mifflin. For the past two years I have parked there for the swim, got the car out and drove out to one of the hills and spectated then drove back into Madison for the run.

2.Is it difficult for them to move around during the race. By that I mean can they drive out to Verona or Mount Horeb and then easily get back into town?

Yes, coming back into Madison after the bike is a little tricky because some of the streets will be closed for the run. Given ample time driving to the parking lot I talked about above you should not have any issues.

My other .02 is that you can see more of a person on a hill. They are going slower up it hence you see more of them and for me, when you are working hard like that its nice to see someone you know in a time like that.

I will draw some maps up and post them.

Just trying to get some idea of what race day is like from the perspective of the support crew.

Thanks,   

Edited by jhouse4 2012-09-27 7:32 AM
2012-09-27 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4429706

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
jhouse4 - 2012-09-27 7:25 AM

Not at all. Great parking spot is on the corner of Webster & Mifflin. For the past two years I have parked there for the swim, got the car out and drove out to one of the hills and spectated then drove back into Madison for the run.

Yes, coming back into Madison after the bike is a little tricky because some of the streets will be closed for the run. Given ample time driving to the parking lot I talked about above you should not have any issues.

Thanks,   

Thanks for the info!! The maps would be very much appreciated too!

2012-09-27 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4425324

SEwantstobeFe - 2012-09-24 2:05 PM
1stTimeTri - 2012-09-19 8:02 PM
SEwantstobeFe - 2012-09-19 3:56 PM

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  I certainly am in no position to give advice, so I’ll ask my first of many questions: Any ideas on training plans, like Fink or Fitzgerald, that may be better suited to IMWI?  Has anyone ever participated in the Endurance House program and would it work despite not living in Madison?  Oops – two questions.  And in case you couldn’t tell, I’m a long-winded typist.  I’m trying to get better.

Hi, Dave, and welcome.  I do not know either of those two programs since I used a local friend who has gone to Kona twice as a coach back in '09.

There is a beginner IM race plan that is on this site that may help, if you want.

Endurance House would be recommended if you lived nearby since they do training nights together - their cost is almost 400 bucks, but you receive an Endurance House tri-outfit and some other perks, including a plan (I would think), swimming evaluation with one of their coaches, and possibly bike-fitting at their shop.

Thanks for the response, Phil.  I will take a look at the BT plan.  I'm also considering Endurance Nation (EN).  From what I've read I like their training approach, etc.  Not as pricey as a one-on-one coach but still might be more than I want to commit right now.  Plus there are lots of options out there so I'll probably keep researching.

Nice to "meet" the others who have signed on so far.  I'm looking forward to the journey ahead!

I follow my own training plan, so I can't speak to that, but for a race execution plan, Endurance Nation's plan is excellent.  I've been racing that way for the past 8 years and didn't even know it was recommended.  It is especially effective to pacing on the bike.  I get passed going up most of the hills the first loop, but my legs are fresh enough to average 21-22 bike split for several years running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=topqR_vwc9o 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFDdmqwjRRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDG8_Ubt5D0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWMMvqpW-jg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXotC8VAppE

2012-09-27 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4429709

TriBoilermaker - 2012-09-27 7:28 AM

Thanks,   

Towards the end of the Ironman Wisconsin 2012 forum, someone posted a link to a spectator guide that his wife wrote (search around the early September posts).  Very good information to help guide those unfamiliar with Madison or dealing with an Ironman athlete.  I can try to look for it too if you're unable to find it.

2012-09-28 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4431049

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
pnelson - 2012-09-27 4:53 PM
TriBoilermaker - 2012-09-27 7:28 AM

Thanks,   

Towards the end of the Ironman Wisconsin 2012 forum, someone posted a link to a spectator guide that his wife wrote (search around the early September posts).  Very good information to help guide those unfamiliar with Madison or dealing with an Ironman athlete.  I can try to look for it too if you're unable to find it.

I found it. It was very well done, thanks to everyone for your help!

2012-09-28 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4421795

Bevie - 2012-09-21 9:01 AM

Hi there!  My name is Chris and I am from Sterling, IL.  Decided this past January that it was finally time to get into shape and lose the pounds.  Started swimming again and then got this crazy idea to train for a triathlon.  Well here we are now.  Went from being 230 pounds down to around 168ish.  I have done 5 tri's so far and have one next weekend.  I have podiumed in every tri I have done in my AG so far and that gives me a real confidence boost going into tri's!  Ironman has always fascinated me in ways I can't even begin to comprehend.  I figured I better get it done with, otherwise I will always be wanting to toe the line.  I volunteered at the Kohl Center aid station this year and was JEALOUS! all day this year.  I wanted to be out there competeing!

Name: Bevie.  Real name: Chris

What is your Ironman resume? Haha.  This will be the first of many to come I hope!

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  It's only about a two hour drive from home so it's close to home.  Also the people and the atmosphere is just amazing.  I have never seen anything like it!  Also the guys I train with here and there have all done Madison before and say it's a must!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Laugh at me if you want.  Obviously I want to finish but, I want to Kona qualify.  I know I know!  I come from a great swimming background and feel that if I can get my bike on the right track it is a real posibility.  I understand that I have to be under 10 hour mark it looks but,  I ask myself why not?  A lot of people say not to race it and just enjoy it.  I understand that and will enjoy it but, at the end of the day if I don't go hard I will regret it!
What are you most looking forward to?  That moment before the gun goes off!  The anticipation is just electric.  Your' whole body feels like a rubber band stretched out just ready to shoot forth!  Oh and the finish line!

Veterans any advice you can give early on? From not ever doing an Ironman I have no advice for others.  All I can say is that I will deffinately be riding the bike course hopefully 3-4 times before race day comes. 

Good luck everyone!

Is it possible to go sub-10? ...sure, pros do it every day. Is it reasonable to go sub-10 in your first Ironman? ...no. Can you do it? ...maybe.

The most important thing for Ironman, and especially for Ironman Wisconsin and/or your first, is to know your pacing. To know how you should pace, you first need to examine your training and race pace and compare the terrain to the terrain in Wisconsin. How long have the triathlons been? If you've only race sprints or Olympic distance, then it isn't reasonable to think that you can go sub-10
without any comparable data. If you’ve race a Half Ironman over flat terrain, you can expect that your IMWI pace should be about 10% less (22 mph average on a flat Half course means you should average 20 mph on IMWI).  For an Olympic, expect your average to be 20% less for Wisconsin and 25-30% less from your sprint average. 

Take a look at my links to Endurance Nation on page 2 of this forum.  The discussion on theory and application of pacing is spot on.  I’ve raced this way for eight years with excellent results.  When you ‘race hard’ at Ironman Wisconsin, you’re really only racing at 60-70% of your preserved excursion at any one time. The pacing you do for an Ironman marathon should be closer to running astand-alone 50 mile race rather than a 26.2 mile race.  For swimming and biking, it is closer to 5 miles than 2.4 miles and 200 miles than 112 miles respectively.  If you think about pacing for a longer distance rather than the actual distance, it will help you mentally stay on pace better and not get antsy to go harder/faster. 

For the pros, they say that the race doesn’t even start until mile 80 of the bike.  Everything else before is just a warmup.  The only time you should really be going hard is the last half of the second run loop.

Sorry for the longer post, but hopefully it helps put you in the right mindset for a successful and appropriately fast race. I helped talk another first-timer a few months ago into the right mindset
for bike pacing and climbing, and he said it helped a ton. 

Feel free (or anyone else) to PM me if you have specific questions.

2012-09-28 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4427984

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
Bevie - 2012-09-26 7:48 AM
FredsRider - 2012-09-23 3:28 PM

Name - FredsRider

Real Name - Nicole

Ironman Resume - IMWI  2009, 10, 11,12, IMFL 2011, IMCDA 2012, IMAZ 2012

Why did you choose IMWI? Living in Madison, I cannot pass up this race.The course is fantastic, the crowd support is great and the Volunteers are the best.

What are your goals for IMW2013? Remain injury free, PR, have fun.

What are you most looking forward to? -The entire day is so much fun.The swim, as the 1 loop was really nice this year. Racing with a bunch of my friends.  Crossing the finish line feels fantastic, the hills on the course.  

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Listen to your body and take rest days, as rest is part of training. If you miss a few workouts do not stress over it and do not try to cram them in. Do not over train, find a plan and stick to it, get your nutrition dialed in, ask questions, practice changing a tire so if it happens you are not panicked, enjoy race day as it goes quickly.

I live in Madison so if anyone has questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

Nicole  

Hey Nicole!,

I waited in line with you and a few other people on sign up day.  That is a crazy IM schedule you are sporting.  More power to you and here's hoping you have a great end of 2012 season and maybe I'll see you again come IMWI  Mooo!

I remember talking with you in line. It was so chilly! Are you totally Excited for WI ?!?!  I hope we can meet up to bike the course next year.  I feel fantastic and cannot wait for Arizona in Nov. I had a pretty big PR at WI, and hoping to do well in AZ. 

2012-10-03 7:24 PM

Name: ahhchon real name: john

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2013 (registered) IMLP 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? my ex gf goes to med school here (signed up when she was my gf, oops, haha)

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? sub 11:45

What are you most looking forward to? riding my first ironman in my new parlee tt

Veterans any advice you can give early on? "you can always make up time, you can never make up energy"

if anyone is looking to pitch in for a house lmk! i'm coming with 1 other friend (he is a first time IM for this race)

john

2012-10-04 7:28 AM

User image

Master

Name: jhouse4 real name: Joseph

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2008, 2009 & 2010 IMLou 2007

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I can get on my bike, ride two blocks and be on the bike course.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Not sure yet. I am considering doing a double. Lou followed by Moo 2 weeks later. If not then I would like to give it the 'ol badger try and say sub 11.

What are you most looking forward to? Racing on the home course.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Have fun out there.

2012-10-04 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4429706

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
jhouse4 - 2012-09-27 8:25 AM

My other .02 is that you can see more of a person on a hill. They are going slower up it hence you see more of them and for me, when you are working hard like that its nice to see someone you know in a time like that.

Thanks,   

I second the hill theory. The first year my family came to see me on a flat and it was a flash after all that time driving, parking, walking and standing there waiting for me in the hot sun. Now they come out to one of the three big hills and it's the best. I get to chat, high five them and enjoy a few minutes since I'm going 5mph. They have no trouble driving in and out. They have started paying to park in someone's driveway too for about $5 and it saved them a mile-long walk! I think they come out to Old Souk but I am not sure so I'll ask.

There is a shuttle bus to Verona, but you'll be flying through there so it's not as high quality of a place for family to see you.

2012-10-12 6:43 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Soooooo, how's training??  Me.  Nada.  BUT, will start soon for endurance base.
2012-10-16 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4452095

User image

Master
I am in a walking boot for 13 more days. No real training yet.
2012-10-16 4:45 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
I am only swiming due to a foot injury from IM Canada....I am on my fourth week of no running no biking and my foot still not great.  in the mean time,  I am gaining weight.  As long as I am good to run by the first of the year,  i will be OK
2012-10-19 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Training is going well. Just maintaining on the swim, 3x week for about 40 minutes each session. Really trying to hit the bike and run this fall and winter to get ready for the 24 week plan at the end of March. I have some 10K and 5K races this fall to keep me motivated!

Hope everybody stays healthy this off-season.

2012-10-20 6:52 AM

Possibly volunteering for 2013 and hoping to race in 2014.  For veterans that have done this event in the past, i've read that the bike course is so ever changing that a road bike with clip-on aero bars works just fine for IMWI.  Any opinions on that? 
2012-10-20 9:11 PM

User image

Name: Belize Breeze my real name is Lawrence 

What is your Ironman resume? This is my first Ironman!! done 70.3 and some oly. 

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I have volunteered for several years. It is close to home. Plus I love Madison. 

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? I just want to finish my goals for 40 was to complete my MBA & full ironman. 

What are you most looking forward to? Being able to get an Ironman tattoo! 

Veterans any advice you can give early on? From the last year's first poster, so thank you for this line:
"If it is your first time, soak it all in from the day you signed up until you cross that line, don't kill yourself with a time goal, rather just embrace everything that is Ironman Wisconsin. YOU ONLY GET ONE FIRST IRONMAN!!!"
I would add this - don't be afraid to ask questions.  You won't know until you do.

2012-10-21 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4461582

User image

TrBeau17 - 2012-10-20 6:52 AM Possibly volunteering for 2013 and hoping to race in 2014.  For veterans that have done this event in the past, i've read that the bike course is so ever changing that a road bike with clip-on aero bars works just fine for IMWI.  Any opinions on that? 

I wouldn't say I'm a veteran, but I did do IMWI this last September and have to say that a road bike would work just fine.  I saw a good mix of road and tri bikes. In fact, I did the WIBA weekend and met several people who have both a road and tri bikes and they prefer to ride their road bike for IMWI. In case you're wondering, I road my tri bike, but I did put on a smaller rear cassette to help with the hills. Either way, you can't go wrong either way as long as you train on the one you're going to use. Hope that helps.

2012-10-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4462286

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
JeffreyB. - 2012-10-21 10:25 AM

TrBeau17 - 2012-10-20 6:52 AM Possibly volunteering for 2013 and hoping to race in 2014.  For veterans that have done this event in the past, i've read that the bike course is so ever changing that a road bike with clip-on aero bars works just fine for IMWI.  Any opinions on that? 

I wouldn't say I'm a veteran, but I did do IMWI this last September and have to say that a road bike would work just fine.  I saw a good mix of road and tri bikes. In fact, I did the WIBA weekend and met several people who have both a road and tri bikes and they prefer to ride their road bike for IMWI. In case you're wondering, I road my tri bike, but I did put on a smaller rear cassette to help with the hills. Either way, you can't go wrong either way as long as you train on the one you're going to use. Hope that helps.

TriBeau17: As long as you train on that bike and are properly fitted, then why not?  Shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

2012-11-06 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Well I have officially started my offseason. I was supposed to run the NYC marathon but I cancelled my entry with everything going on here NY there was no way I was going to run it under those circumstances and then they cancelled it anyway. I will be taking November off so to speak. I have been working on my swimming and am going to continue to swim 3-4 times a week and just keep the biking and running to a minimum probably twice a week. I'll officially kick off my IMWI training on Dec. 3 with Jorge's cycling program. In the meantime I'm plotting out the entire training schedule which will take me up to IMWI. November will be about rest and recovery and December the journey will officially begin.

2012-11-08 7:28 AM

User image

Master
My cast comes off tomorrow! I am not going to run on it yet but I will start harder rides.
2012-11-10 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4486157

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

strikyr - 2012-11-06 11:37 AM Well I have officially started my offseason. I was supposed to run the NYC marathon but I cancelled my entry with everything going on here NY there was no way I was going to run it under those circumstances and then they cancelled it anyway. I will be taking November off so to speak. I have been working on my swimming and am going to continue to swim 3-4 times a week and just keep the biking and running to a minimum probably twice a week. I'll officially kick off my IMWI training on Dec. 3 with Jorge's cycling program. In the meantime I'm plotting out the entire training schedule which will take me up to IMWI. November will be about rest and recovery and December the journey will officially begin.

Happy training soon!

2012-11-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4489354

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

jhouse4 - 2012-11-08 7:28 AM My cast comes off tomorrow! I am not going to run on it yet but I will start harder rides.

How'd it go?

2012-11-11 7:17 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
One hour run today.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24