General Discussion Triathlon Talk » explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-09-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4415024

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper...
Fist, sorry about the lack of paragraph breaks. I'm typing on my Android phone. People hire coaches for as many different reasons as there are people. Just 3 examples of athletes I currently coach: One is an athletic trainer for a local high school and has more than enough knowledge to do a little more research and put together her own training program, but she has a busy work schedule and needs a coach to hold her accountable for training consistently. She has been racing about 3 years, but stepped up to the HIM distance this year and is registered for IMLP next year, so she felt like she needed to be more committed to achieve her goals. The second started tris this year, but has struggled to make much progress, so he hired me about a month and a half ago because he "wants to matter in his age group", and felt frustrated trying to do it on his own. He's racing his first oly this Saturday. The last is a runner who owns a business and travels the world, coordinating races with his business travel. He wants someone he can trust to adjust his training week-to-week around unexpected business obligations so he doesn't need to worry about it.

2012-09-17 8:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper...

For the people continuing to say "I just don't get it" or they think it's a waste of money - even if you wouldn't do it YOURSELF, I have a hard time believing you literally can't see how it would be useful to someone else. Who, as many have pointed out, don't want to mess with guess work and have the money to do it. 

There are a lot of things I would never purchase or get involved with myself, but I can certainly understand why someone else would, and have a discussion about it without insulting them.

Edited by lisac957 2012-09-17 8:17 PM
2012-09-17 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4415605

Oldteen - 2012-09-17 7:00 PM
JM2 - 2012-09-17 5:35 PM

My wife and I are your typical run-of-the-mill age groupers.  We have a local tri coaching company here and we both work with them regularly, they flat out know their stuff and are great guys.  I work with them sporadically, but my wife is on their entry level coaching program, at around $100/mo. because frankly she doesn't want to think about it, she just wants to be told what to do with this stuff........we are relatively new to this, have a 5 yr. old and a 2 yr. old and she definitely isn't going to do a bunch of research to figure out what to do, but also just enjoys the comfort level of knowing that she is doing the right thing.  She's been completely injury free and has shown steady improvements over the past two years, plus her coaches provide some accountability, and reliable advice on all kinds of stuff like info. on different races, gear, etc. 

We don't make a bunch of $, we've talked about nixing it, but we don't do alot of out of town races, don't get crazy on the gear, etc.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who would talk about having a coach because they want you to think they are cool or something, but that's gotta be the minority, I suspect most people are more like my wife and I.

Nothing against coaching, but from personal finance perspective $1200/yr seems serious $ to most couples who "don't make a bunch of $" & have 2 small kids.  But then I know cyclists who drop $6k on new carbon DA bikes who claim they have trouble paying next month's rent on their apartment.  To each their own.

Personally I feel comfortable doing my own plans & motivation for run/bike training and have yet to meet local coaches who seem worth their fees.  OTOH, after 3 seasons I have grown weary of my swims being so much behind my relative bikes/runs.  My swim still sucks after wasting much time & $$ on group lessons which all seem geared for sprint swims. Finally decided I need to get decent local swim coach to avoid becoming a duathlete (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

My point is that $100/mo. does certainly matter to us, but it's worth it because of the reasons I mentioned.  Obviously, it's not worth it to everyone, or everyone would have a coach.  Someone else will put those same tri dollars toward a bike, or some wheels, or do some more races, whatever, because that would be worth it to them, and having someone write their training/help plan their season/etc. would be the last thing they would spend their $ on.

So maybe the short answer to the original question "explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper..." is simply because someone wants a coach and it's worth it to them. 

2012-09-17 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I hired a coach and went from MOP mountain biker to state time trial champion and 3rd in championship points. 
2012-09-17 9:02 PM

Extreme Veteran

It's been beaten to death i'm sure, however for me it was the structure based on what I am trying to achieve. I've done it solo the past couple of years, but stepping up to an IM distance event I wanted to have the knowledge behind my training that fit my goals as well as me individually. Sure, you can get a generic training plan to suit your needs and that may work well for you, but might not for me. Can a canned plan tell me what I need to adjust in terms of training based on travel/work/family, etc? Or do you wing it? Considering the overall investment that i'm making (time more than money) this is a small piece of the puzzle that is worth it for me.  There are a number of ancillary benefits that come with the coach/group I train with but when it's all said and done, it works for me and that is all that matters. Not a pro, never going to be one.. but I like the results i'm seeing.

As to the $ impact, I look at the amount of money that people spend on going out to lunch at work and that more than trumps what i'm spending on my coaching.. so i'll take the trade off..

2012-09-17 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
1hr of bike coaching gave me the confidence and improved skills to with some practice take 3mph off my bike time. What else gets that return for $45? I'd definitely consider a coaching group if I had more time. They seem really fun and my friends who do it really enjoy it.

2012-09-18 6:47 AM

User image

Regular
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 3:08 PM

I'm not sure I fully get this.  I often see people refer to their "coach".  I'm pretty sure these guys using coaches aren't sponsored and aren't racing to be in the money.  So why are they shelling out $$$ for a coach?

Is it that difficult to do a little research, get a training plan, and tailor it to your life's challenges?  Isn't that half the fun of this world of endurance sports?  There's alot of crazy stuff in triathlon training, but this one escapes me for some reason.

Maybe substituting "personal trainer" for "coach" will make it easier to understand. why do people use personal trainers at the local gym? Whether its weight loss, getting back in shape or prepping to run a 10k, people use personal trainers for all sorts of reasons, mostly to improve themselves in one way or another.

2012-09-18 6:56 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I'm not sure I fully get this.  I often see people refer to their "coach".  I'm pretty sure these guys using coaches aren't sponsored and aren't racing to be in the money.  So why are they shelling out $$$ for a coach?

Is it that difficult to do a little research, get a training plan, and tailor it to your life's challenges?  Isn't that half the fun of this world of endurance sports?  There's alot of crazy stuff in triathlon training, but this one escapes me for some reason.

I am sure this same thing has been said over and over:

I am type A in all aspects of my life.

I work 60-70 hours/week and want to train to be at the FOP, all while trying to not compromise my family life (too much).

I enjoy the accountability. There are days that "I am too tired to train" but I know that my coach will be looking at my logs so I get out and do it. Would I do this without a coach? Probably, but I like the external motivation.

Since hiring a coach I have gone from a 2:35 Olympic to 2:04 last weekend. I would say that I am getting value out of my $ spent. (Back door brag)
2012-09-18 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4415203

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Meulen - 2012-09-17 4:07 PM
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 3:03 PM
marmadaddy - 2012-09-17 2:58 PM

I get asked regularly to teach the bass guitar to adults.  How much sense would it make if I were to answer "Sorry, I only teach people who are planning on becoming pros."?

This is a good analogy.  I admit that my random sample of coached athletes may be a bit skewed.  The impression I came away with was athletes that were trying very hard to "play the part" of the pro athlete by proudly proclaiming they have a coach.  The impression that was given off was "I'm so pro I need a coach" rather than "I really need help with this stuff, so I hired a coach".

I just hired a coach last month.  FYI, it was because I feel I stopped improving on my own.  Even with coached computrainer classes, masters swim, etc.  I felt the need to try some custom coaching instead of cookie cutter training.  So far, I'm happy I made the plunge.

Another good example. I was asked for lessons just this past Saturday night by a guy. He's already a decent player but he feels he's hit a plateau and is looking for a little help to get to the next level.  He's not looking to be good enough to back John Mayer on tour, he just wants to get all that he can out of playing.  It's the same with hiring a coach.

2012-09-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4416102

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
marmadaddy - 2012-09-18 7:49 AM
Meulen - 2012-09-17 4:07 PM
michael_runs - 2012-09-17 3:03 PM
marmadaddy - 2012-09-17 2:58 PM

I get asked regularly to teach the bass guitar to adults.  How much sense would it make if I were to answer "Sorry, I only teach people who are planning on becoming pros."?

This is a good analogy.  I admit that my random sample of coached athletes may be a bit skewed.  The impression I came away with was athletes that were trying very hard to "play the part" of the pro athlete by proudly proclaiming they have a coach.  The impression that was given off was "I'm so pro I need a coach" rather than "I really need help with this stuff, so I hired a coach".

I just hired a coach last month.  FYI, it was because I feel I stopped improving on my own.  Even with coached computrainer classes, masters swim, etc.  I felt the need to try some custom coaching instead of cookie cutter training.  So far, I'm happy I made the plunge.

Another good example. I was asked for lessons just this past Saturday night by a guy. He's already a decent player but he feels he's hit a plateau and is looking for a little help to get to the next level.  He's not looking to be good enough to back John Mayer on tour, he just wants to get all that he can out of playing.  It's the same with hiring a coach.

Perfect example!  My goals may not be to become pro, but I do want to qualify for a Vegas 70.3 championship.  After trying it on my own for a year, I realized I needed some help!  I don't go telling people I'm "cool" because I have a coach.  Most people don't even know I have one.    If you want something bad enough and are willing to admit you can't do it on your own.  You hire a coach.

2012-09-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4415866

User image

Pro

Moonrocket - 2012-09-17 11:47 PM 1hr of bike coaching gave me the confidence and improved skills to with some practice take 3mph off my bike time. What else gets that return for $45? I'd definitely consider a coaching group if I had more time. They seem really fun and my friends who do it really enjoy it.

That's awesome! Congrats!

And a good tip for anyone struggling with any technique or confidence. You can read all you want, but when you're actually out there with someone who knows what they are doing and knows how to teach you, you can gain A LOT in a small amount of time. You won't be a pro, but you can gain the skills you need to build upon.

This VERY MUCH applies to swimming - but also applies to cycling, running, strength training, etc.

2012-09-18 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Moonrocket - 2012-09-17 11:47 PM 1hr of bike coaching gave me the confidence and improved skills to with some practice take 3mph off my bike time. What else gets that return for $45? I'd definitely consider a coaching group if I had more time. They seem really fun and my friends who do it really enjoy it.

Did coach suggest changes in your bike fit?  That big a gain in cycling speed is huge, especially for those who've been biking seriously for few years.

2012-09-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4415058

User image

Pro
lisac957 - 2012-09-17 2:15 PM

I hired a coach for an Ironman and an ultra marathon. I don't have the extensive background, knowledge, training, education, experience, results, etc. that he does. I was willing to pay for someone to do all that research for me and write a plan based on my individual and specific background and goals - including past injuries, available time to train, etc. I didn't want to be guessing if I was doing too much, not enough, focusing on the right or wrong things. He took all of the guess work out.

You really can't understand someone wanting to do that? 

Lisa nailed it. That is why people are willing to pay good money for a coach. Enough said.

2012-09-18 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

I think a coach would be beneficial to most, but may not return the value to some.  However, everyone seems to refer to a "coach" as a constant - which it isn't.  There are great coaches, and some not-so-great coaches.  Some coaches can coach BOP beginners well, but don't do as well with MOP, experienced athletes.  Some coaches have better communication skills and organization skills, as well as technical knowledge - others have more BS and repeat what they read on the internet without understanding.

If you get a great coach that works for your goals and where you are, then I think they are definitely of value!

Having said that, I have only gotten skills coaching (primarily swimming form), and design my plans myself (I like to read books and do research as I like to understand why I'm doing something).  I don't have a problem with accountability as I use my BT logs to track my training and motivation and that's all I need.  I continue to be satisfied with my progress but will likely get some help with my swimming again and perhaps having someone review my Dec-Apr plan in preparation for 4th season starting in April 2013.

2012-09-18 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran

So the coaching slowed you down??  Sounds like a bad ROI Tongue out

2012-09-18 10:18 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

I'm a BOP AGer who has worked with a coach on some level for 3 years.  The clubs programs vary from 1 day a week speed workouts at $66 per session (about 3.5 months each) to $350 for a full year including winter plyometrics, spring training with 2 speed workouts with the group each week, summer training/speed and fall plyometrics along with personalize training plans with unlimited adjustments, communication etc.  

This year I did just the 1 day a week speed because life has just been too crazy to commit to a full racing plan and I had to miss so many workouts due to work so this gave me flexibility.  But, it keeps me accountable and I push far harder in workouts with the group than I would on my own.  I've take 2+ minutes per mile off my easy runs.  

And I've managed to stay major injury free which I think is because when I start having issues I have someone to bounce it off of and look at what I'm doing and suggest form changes. For example, I was having significant tibialis anterior pain earlier this year. I asked Coach to watch my gait and give me some thoughts.  She watched me at various effort levels and realized that at easier effort levels I was keep my foot flexed way too long.  The solution?  I had to speed up.  Yep, we went to a theory of running at a bit higher intensity effort (say just under tempo level) and it not only solved the pain issue but I very quickly took about 45 seconds/mile off my easy run pace.  I would have never guessed that speeding up would solve a muscular pain issue. 

2012-09-19 4:45 AM

User image

Veteran
i cant see why people pay for online coaching . to me a coach is to check technique and a few video check is just not enough . i can find plans online  and get free tips here. but if i did have free cash i would pay for a face to face check up every now and then . there is cheaper ways to get advise . join a master swim or tri club . but if i was trying to go to vegas/kona or age group worlds it would be worth the money for full time face to face coaching
2012-09-19 5:45 AM
in reply to: #4415046

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
PinkPrincess - 2012-09-17 2:13 PM

Is it that difficult to do a little research, get a training plan, and tailor it to your life's challenges?  Isn't that half the fun of this world of endurance sports?  

Is it difficult? No. Do I find it FUN or have the TIME to do it? Absolutely not. I just want to train - leave the planning to my coach. 

ditto. I am very busy, have a demanding career and ot a ton of time.  I can afford it and it takes the planning off my plate and in general makes the whole expereince a lot more fun for me.  If I didn't do ironman distance I would probably not use one and did not until I started my ironman journey.  If I did nothave a coach I would probably weither grossly undertrain or overtrain too.  It just makes the triathlon expereince easier access and more fun for me without pobsessing over everything I do.  I know for some people that is the fun of it but not me.

2012-09-19 5:48 AM
in reply to: #4417913

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

thecouch - 2012-09-19 4:45 AM i cant see why people pay for online coaching . to me a coach is to check technique and a few video check is just not enough . i can find plans online  and get free tips here. but if i did have free cash i would pay for a face to face check up every now and then . there is cheaper ways to get advise . join a master swim or tri club . but if i was trying to go to vegas/kona or age group worlds it would be worth the money for full time face to face coaching

because some of us have very busy lives outside of triathlon and don't want to deal with planning and obsessing over every detail of of training.  Every single person I know who wanted a local coach so they couldhave face to face interaction etc etc etc...saw that person maybe once a year.  There is a difference between havinga swim coach at a masters program or a track coach helping you with your form and a tri coach helping with your training plan.  usually those people can to the in person stuff too but they typcally are 2 different things.

2012-09-19 5:56 AM

User image

Elite
As Lisa said above regarding giving you a specific plan based on your level of fitness and goals is why its worth it. However I feel that the coaching is only worth it if it has a degree of one on one time to evaluates technique , instruct etc.....I personally not a fan of those coaches that I call " satellite coaches" who you communicate with online , I think they are maybe only a fraction better than using a BT plan or self coaching.
2012-09-19 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4417936

User image

Champion
MA

FELTGood - 2012-09-19 6:56 AM As Lisa said above regarding giving you a specific plan based on your level of fitness and goals is why its worth it. However I feel that the coaching is only worth it if it has a degree of one on one time to evaluates technique , instruct etc.....I personally not a fan of those coaches that I call " satellite coaches" who you communicate with online , I think they are maybe only a fraction better than using a BT plan or self coaching.

Have you used a satellite coach?

I have used coaches since 2005.  One was local but I saw him a couple times a year at most and the other coaches lived quite a distance away from me. The difference between following a generic training plan and a remote coach is vast.  The plan is made for you, and adjusted for you.  They check your progress, your workouts, discuss race strategy, and much more than a generic plan doesn't do.

Having an in person coach is not economically feasible for most of us plus it limits possible coaches. Trainer at the gym charge how much an hour?  Only folks I know here on BT that use local coach have hired personal trainers who have added tri coaching to their business. I would suggest that they are probably in general the most qualified coaches.

2012-09-19 7:36 AM

User image

Elite
Kathy g ...no I have not used them but had several conversations with them anddecided it was not for me......as I said, they are more valuable than a prefabricated plan because they can adjust things for you but that's about it.....I will concede the fact that maybe some do more but the four I " met" with that's all they did.....so I feel they are only a step or two better than a prefab plan......

They cannot evaluate my stroke with out a video, and actually instruct or coach me.....can't evaluate running form, or bike skills or even provide some kick in the butt motivation.....

So I am not saying a satellite coach is not valuable but only a little more than a prefab plan. Especially when some of these offsite coaches charge what they do..

Maybe I feel this way because every sport I played from football to cross country I had a personal coach.....could not imagine paying for those to tell me what to do from another state
2012-09-19 8:21 AM

Expert

Wow 4 pages...  I have to admit I didn't read it all.  I'm considering hiring a coach to read through these long posts and then just tell me the important bits.

Seriously though since 4 pages of people have thrown their opinions at this one whats one more right?  So here we go!

I really think its just another thing to add to the training and racing arsenal for the uber committed.  If you dont really care much about triathlon but figure why not give it a shot, then you probably are going to go in to your race with the equipment you have and no coach.  Take your road bike, no wetsuit, you know, just the basics.  If your getting a bit more into it and this is getting to be a real hobby then maybe you start looking at tri bikes wetsuits, tri suits, winter training plans, and the like.  Hiring a coach is just one more tool to add, but being reasonably expensive in both time and monetary commitment it is  probably one that is utilized by the most serious triathletes.

Don't misunderstand my meaning of "serious" or "committed" I don't mean elite, you can be a solid BOP racer and still be very serious about doing the best you can.

2012-09-19 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4417913

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

thecouch - 2012-09-19 5:45 AM i cant see why people pay for online coaching.

I don't pay for any coaching (ok I went to one total immersion seminar) but if/when I do, it will be online because as far as I know, that is my only option. I live in the middle of nowhere. Tri club? Masters swimming? Neither exist near me. Oh sure, if I want to drive over an hour each way for a swim workout, I suppose there are options. 

I'm sure that's not the main reason for many clients of online coaching, but it would be #1 for me. 

2012-09-19 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4418148

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
TheClaaaw - 2012-09-19 9:50 AM

thecouch - 2012-09-19 5:45 AM i cant see why people pay for online coaching.

I don't pay for any coaching (ok I went to one total immersion seminar) but if/when I do, it will be online because as far as I know, that is my only option. I live in the middle of nowhere. Tri club? Masters swimming? Neither exist near me. Oh sure, if I want to drive over an hour each way for a swim workout, I suppose there are options. 

I'm sure that's not the main reason for many clients of online coaching, but it would be #1 for me. 

I learned the hard way that having a local coach isn't always a great deal either - especially if he's a mediocre coach with poor communication skills.

If I ever take the plunge again, it will likely be with an established online coach where I can verify their credentials & experience and be able to check references.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » explain the need for a coach for the run-of-the-mill age grouper... Rss Feed  

of 4