General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Super Triathlon - Long (Half) Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Columbian Super Triathlon - Long (Half) Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Electric City, Washington
United States
TriFREAKS, Inc.
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m 24s
Overall Rank = 77/105
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at 9:30pm. Slept 4-5hrs. Woke-up at 6:15. Ate breakfast - bagel, hard boiled egg, yogurt, coffee, banana. Headed to race start with time to spare.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. Mental state was calm and focused.
Swim
  • 39m 56s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Smooth swim. Guide lines under water made siting unnecessary. I sited only to see when the corner was coming up and to be prepared to pass people coming up.
What would you do differently?:

I would start in the 1st wave. The first 100yrds were tough because I was stuck behind so many people until we rounded the first buoy and it thinned out.
Transition 1
  • 06m 12s
Comments:

I was not in a rush. I wanted to make sure I remembered everything. Getting all the sand off my feet was not easy. Plus there was a good bit of space between water exit and transition. It probably took me 2 minutes to get to my gear. Plus I had to get all the stuff I took off into a plastic bag so it didn't get lost.

I could move a little faster, maybe.
Bike
  • 4h 00m
  • 55.92 miles
  • 13.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was killer, but super fun. The hills pushed me to my limit and so did the downhills. Got up to 35mph one time and that was crazy fast. The bike handled everything really well. Stayed in aero as much as I could. There were a few downhills that were so steep I stayed on the horns so I could use the brakes. I really tried to keep my mind in low adventure zone, but push myself at the same time. I stopped once when my bike seat bag fell off and once to pee.

Have a better understanding of what the course is like. I trained on hills but not nearly enough for that course. Make sure bike seat bag is secure.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

The volunteers took my bike and racked it for me. Getting bike shoes off and running shoes on took a bit cause my shoes were in a plastic bag. Plus I had to get all my GU's out of the bag and into my shirt pockets.

Not really sure. maybe have my GU rubberbanded together so I could grab them all and go. Then get them into my pockets as I'm running.
Run
  • 2h 41m 46s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Not super fond of running on rocks/dirt. I did really well at pacing myself on the run. I paid attention to my breathing and my legs. Both were performing well. Around mile 7-8 I started to notice my lungs were burning when I tried to breathe deeply, but it didn't affect my ability to keep going. Aid stations were well positioned for being available about every 30 minutes, which was right when I needed to eat a GU. I started getting overheated in the beginning three miles, so I started pouring water on my head and that made all the difference. I just kept on running and reminding myself "this is what we do, we run." I stopped for one bathroom break.

This run was so solid for me. To complete a half mary after the swim and that gnarly bike and do it at a 12.3mph pace is fantastic for me. I could not have asked for more.

Next time I need to remember my chapstick!
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't actually do much warming down. Some very mild stretching. I forgot to have post race clothing available, so I was a little cold after standing around for a while. Hot shower helped with that!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall strength and speed endurance. I built up pretty fast to be ready for this race. So I guess I would want to start my build earlier.

Event comments:

I would have appreciated an aid station after the major hill climb. The distance from start to 1st aid station was really far, so I had to really watch my water intake. Overall TriFreaks did a great job!

Last updated: 2012-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:56 | 2078 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/105
Performance: Good
Suit: Profile Design Wahoo Wetsuit
Course: triangular. guide lines underwater.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:00:00 | 55.92 miles | 13.98 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was full of 4-8 percent grades. The first 5 miles were a continuous climb with switchbacks and the grades were nearly all 5% and up. After that there were crazy steep rolling hills. Super slow ups and super fast downs. Traffic was very light, which gave me the freedom to ride fast and use an entire car lane.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 65
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:41:46 | 13.11 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Course had an uphill in the first two miles, then a steep downhill all on pavement. After that it turned into a gravel/dirt road and it was flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-17 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Grand Columbian Super Triathlon - Long (Half) Course

2012-09-17 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4415442

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Grand Columbian Super Triathlon - Long (Half) Course
nice job. Love that race.
2012-09-18 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Congrats  Samantha -- everyone in Steve's group is proud of you!!

What's next?
2012-09-18 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Awesome job on all fronts Samantha!  I love it that you were calm and focused at the start, and then kept your mind in "low adventure zone".  Perfect description!  Also like "this is what we do, we run".  I gotta remember that one.  What a swim time, just wow!  And awesome run after that tough bike.  Very smart race.  So very proud for you and looking forward to reading your IMCDA report!   

2012-09-18 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations!  My wife and I managed T1.  Glad to hear how the rest of the race went.  That place is beautiful and in my opinion a very under-appreciated race.

2012-09-18 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Fantastic girlie!!! Such an accomplishment! Your sweat, time & devotion paid off! Me next!.. Online now looking for my 2013 HIM! :0

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Super Triathlon - Long (Half) Course Rss Feed