General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing an Olympic Tri prior to Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-17 9:20 PM

Subject: Pacing an Olympic Tri prior to Half Iron
I'm planning to do an Olympic tune-up race 4 weeks prior to my A priority Half Ironman. Assuming I only care about optimizing my 70.3 preparation, and not necessarily the Olympic result, how would you pace it? All out? 70.3 pace? Some combination?

2012-09-17 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4415780

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Pacing an Olympic Tri prior to Half Iron

I would treat it as a long speed workout and go after it.  If you even feel a little twinge of an injury I would pull back tremendously.  Noone at your Olympic is going to know / care that you are using it as a training workout for your HIM.  After all, your A race is your priority.  What does your training plan say?  Does it call for a Olympic race?  The swim is very comprable but obviously the bike is more than double and the run is right at double the distances.  It would be a good way to gage where you are at but with only 4 weeks, not much you can really do to add endurance.

2012-09-17 10:15 PM

Does it matter that in an olympic race I'm pushing the pace (and heart rate) faster with each mile of the run...but in the 70.3 I'm looking to maintain that sub LT pace for all but the last couple miles?
2012-09-17 10:39 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
The big thing in a tune up is to practice your pre race routine, transitions, and nutrition strategy. I usually will pick a leg to focus on Normally bike or run to focus on and let the other two legs just happen in a "warm up or tune up" race.

However, 4 weeks between an Olympic and HIM should give you plenty of time to recover. So if you feel great race morning and want to go after it it shouldn't hurt your 'A' race perfomance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing an Olympic Tri prior to Half Iron Rss Feed