General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Lake Geneva - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriRock Lake Geneva - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Williams Bay, Wisconsin
United States
Competitor Group
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 21s
Overall Rank = 93/475
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/47
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Janesville which was about 30 minutes away. Got up at around 4, had a bagel, banana and some gatorade / enduralyte mixture. Got to transition at about 5. It was completely dark and I was trying to remember when last year's race stared as I didn't remember being this dark. It was also pretty cold so I put my wetsuit on right away.
Event warmup:

Needed to wait about 35 minutes before we could start due to the fog generated from the lake. Sat in the lake to keep warm.
Swim
  • 33m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't expect much out of the swim as I hadn't swam since my HIM in July. A few minutes slower than last years. We were the first wave out and it was still difficult to navigate as the first bouy was still covered by fog. We kept swimming and I still couldn't see the bouy. I was wondering how far this thing was.
What would you do differently?:

Swim training for speed
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Lost about 15 seconds trying to find my bike. I was confused with the racking and didn't really pay attention to where my bike is.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 35s
  • 28 miles
  • 22.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I went into this wanting to hammer the ride. I didn't want to push it too hard up the first hill though so I took it easy but then stayed in aero the rest of the ride. Took in the 2 salt tabs, a gu and some gu chomps as well as a mixture of perform. I felt good on the bike with no signs of fatigue. The last hill is fun yet scary since there were a ton of sprint athletes coasting down the hill.

A couple of the false flats had me thinking something was wrong, but other than that, I couldn't be any happier with my time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Missed my rack again and spent 10 seconds situation myself. Took a little longer time to make sure I had everything but made it out under 2 minutes.
Run
  • 54m 35s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to take it easy up the first hills. I felt good until I got up the second of the hills and then my right quad started to lock up. I sucked on a salt stick since I couldn't dry swallow and started to run on it again. I probably spent about 20 seconds dealing with it. Other than the cramp, I felt good, though I didn't try to push it too hard since I didn't want to risk cramping again but probably could've gone faster. My fasted 10k in a tri yet so I can't be dissapointed.

Still need to figure out my nutrition and why I cramp. I did push it pretty hard on the bike but I wasn't overly exhausted for the run.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to transition and got the camera. Waited for Nicole to finish. Had the pancake breakfast and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps during the run and a mediocre swim. I was shooting for a 2:45. With a better swim I could've achieved it but I didn't prepare at all for it so I can't expect much more.

Event comments:

I think the race start was too early and that they need to push it back for future events. Otherwise I think the race was fine.

Last updated: 2012-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:35 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/47
Overall: 228/475
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: They officially called it a "quadrilaterial".
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:35 | 28 miles | 22.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/47
Overall: 21/475
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Long initial uphill, then around Lake Delavan for 2 loops and then back. Small rollers, a few false flats and a lot of turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:35 | 06.2 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/47
Overall: 219/475
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, couple decent hills but shaded
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-18 1:24 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: TriRock Lake Geneva - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Lake Geneva - Olympic Course Rss Feed