San Francisco to Calistoga, California
United States
Ragnar Relay Series
Total Time = 31h 38m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

(My team finished about 2/3rds back overall, and about 3/4 back in our group, Open Men.)

I went to Napa with two girlfriends and joined a team that was tangentially related to my one friend through a work contact. We were assigned to Van 1 with three guys who seemed really friendly, so we were excited.

We flew into SFO on Thursday afternoon and after getting to the hotel, and meeting two local friends for HH/dinner, we met our team at 8:00. They are primarily from the west coast, so this didn't seem as late to them ;) We had a fun dinner and were happy to find our vanmates to be just as nice as we hoped. We took a taxi back to our hotel, with a quick Walgreen's stop for supplies, and went to bed to get ready for our 6 am-ish pickup.

The weather was crazy our whole trip - very cool/windy at night and then hot and sunny during the day. Friday started out cool and misty. Our pickup was in the dark and we made it to the start line for our safety briefing and to walk through the various stations to get waivers signed, pickup our numbers, t-shirts, safety flags, etc. They require you arrive an hour early and it really does take about that much time. We got our first runner to the start and the adventure began at 7:30 am.
Run
  • 2h 58m 36s
  • 17.28 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The time/distance is just what I run.

Run #1: 3.1 miles - 33:49

I used mapmyrun.com to preview this before the race and knew from that, and the profile from Ragnar, that the race was up hill, across a trail, and then back down. That's "technically" right, but I WAY misjudged it.

It started on a steep incline (cat 5, 7.7% for 1/2 mile) and went up and up through a hillside neighborhood. There were one or two short places where I could trot, but mostly I walked. I probably pushed it too hard here, but I was really worried about the time! Then I reached a set of stairs and the "trail." I would describe this as a rough singletrack, kind of like a dry creek bed. Extremely uneven with loose rocks, etc. I had the wrong shoes! I am tentative on a route like this, because I am easily tripped or will twist an ankle. The view was incredible and I regret not having a camera. The top of the ridge still had some climbing, but seemed simple compared to getting there. When I got to the trail exit and I ran back down through a neighborhood. I was really pounding and worried about tripping and trashing my quads. I tried to stay light and gentle and if I had practice with this sort of thing could have gained more time, but I made up a HUGE amount of time here. I was at a 13 min/mile pace at 1.5 miles and my mile 2 split was near 10, so.... The last bit was flat so tried to maximize my speed, there were a few stoplights but I managed to get through most. The run had a total ascent of 291 feet over just more than 3 miles! Wow, tough.

Run 2: 9.2 miles: 1:32:20

My night run, the one I was waiting for. This was much easier profile and in the dark I find everything less intimidating. From my blog: Night run, amazing as usual. A few slower miles where I had a stop light, a few small inclines, and one short walk break for a gel. Otherwise, a really solid run and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The road was pretty busy, a four-lane highway, and the drop offs were steep. Like fall 80 feet to your death, not to mention the very short guardrail on a bridge (or maybe just a really steep part?). Anyway, some of that I was glad I couldn't see. I had a running partner for a short time, one of the few other runners without earbuds jammed in. I felt very strong once my quads warmed up from the earlier run. I pushed myself even though I kept thinking "this is not about speed as much as endurance...". But I felt I needed to do my team right. I wore LED dreadlocks on a headband which was a HUGE hit. My teammate from the Florida Ragnar (in Jan) brought them and I had had to bring some for this race. Not only runners but vans & cars would drive by and say "I love your hair!". It's a huge boost. If you are reading this because you're considering Ragnar, check this out: http://www.flashingpanda.com/Item.asp?id=499 At the end, I passed the slap-bracelet and said "thank god that's over!".

Run 3: 4.9 miles: 52:27

Again, from my blog: This was doomed from the start, I am actually surprised by this pace. My quads were so painful and legs tight in general. The first few miles was through a beautiful park I would enjoy any day, but it was a pointless route. This could have been a 2 mile run and we would have achieved the same goal. About 1-2 mins was spent at a light, but I admit that was my fault for not sprinting to cross at the last second. Stopping felt nice. I was super tired and this was typical for a #3 Ragnar run. I was never more glad to be DONE!!!
What would you do differently?:

I have always learned a lot from Ragnar. A lot about myself, my friends, what to pack, how to prep, etc. It's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG race and a lot happens. In this case, I should have:
1. Trained for that hill specifically. That killed my quads and affected the rest of my race.
2. Brought a warmer jacket to wear at night for when I wasn't running. Also pants.

That's really it. The rest of what I would change were some logistical things, but since I don't necessarily plan to do Napa again it's not really worth remembering. Overall it was a huge success and well worth the effort.
Post race
Event comments:

This was slightly less controlled than other Ragnars. Not as many volunteers, more random running on different sides of roads without help crossing, narrow shoulders, etc. It's surely the nature of the course and maybe the CA attitude. Nothing major. Ragnar doesn't really offer support along the way, like water stops, other than the major exchanges. But managing yourself and the logistics is part of the fun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-24 12:00 AM
Running
02:58:36 | 17.28 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-18 6:54 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Ragnar Relay Napa Valley

Getting ready to start at Marina park, near the Golden Gate Bridge.

ere I am with the two girlfriends I traveled with (after my friend's long run):

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-09-18 6:58 PM

2012-09-18 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4417555

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Ragnar Relay Napa Valley
Great job!  That hill is a tough way to start.  Your overall pace was really strong - all of the training paid off!
2012-09-19 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Another nice Ragnar Emily!  Sounds liek you had a great trip.  We love Napa and will be heading out there again this fall to see friends and use a behind-the-scenes winery thing we bought at a charity auction.  Can't wait!
2012-09-21 7:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-21 12:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Very cool. Ragnar is always a fun, challenging, crazy experience. Thanks for posting about your light up hair. The are a lot of nifty products on that site Smile
2012-09-21 3:47 PM

Expert
Western WI

Ragnar! Fun Fun Fun!  Thanks for sharing your experience - what a fun new adventure and how cool to meet new people   And good work on your #2 and #3 runs after that brutal #1 hill!!

Great work!

2012-09-22 7:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
I've almost did one of these a few years back but they found someone else.  Sounds like you a great time.  Nice job sticking with it on your last 2 runs. 
2012-09-22 7:55 PM

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Ragnar is always quite an experience.  You did a great job on runs 2 and 3, especially after that hill!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ragnar Relay Napa Valley Rss Feed