General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question - Can I have a cell phone on arm during Branson 70.3 half ironman race for tracking only? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2012-09-19 11:27 AM

User image

St. Peters, MO (St. Louis)
Subject: Question - Can I have a cell phone on arm during Branson 70.3 half ironman race for tracking only?

I saw the rules for the race and it says no cell phones and it seems it means because of communication with other people I guess.   I want to use endomondo app on my cell phone so friends/family at the race can see where I am at so they can cheer at different times, as well as, allow other friends/family not there can track my progress.   

I'm trying to get a hold of someone involved with the race who could give me a clear answer on this.   Yes, if in doubt i'm not going to use it, but man it sure would be a bummer not to take advantage of a cool tracking app like endomondo.

Anyone have experience with this or used a cell phone during a half ironman/ironman race for this purpose and got an official 'ok'?

Thoughts?

2012-09-19 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4418542

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Question - Can I have a cell phone on arm during Branson 70.3 half ironman race for tracking on

Nobody here can answer the question- only the Race Director.

but if I were you- I'd get a wrist strap for it and a big sticker that says "Garmin" over the face of it. 

2012-09-19 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4418552

User image

Subject: RE: Question - Can I have a cell phone on arm during Branson 70.3 half ironman race for tracking on
morey000 - 2012-09-19 11:31 AM

Nobody here can answer the question- only the Race Director.

but if I were you- I'd get a wrist strap for it and a big sticker that says "Garmin" over the face of it. 

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

2012-09-19 11:44 AM

User image

Well, I sent this letter to the race director and within not even a 1 minutes time I got a reply that yes, I could use it: 

"May I use a cell phone for gps only and have the cell phone
part of it disabled?  

I really want my friends and family to be able to track me
live for those who are in branson with me so they can get a better idea of
where I am at in the race to cheer, especially the elderly family I have so
they aren’t sitting out for longer than they need to."

I'm going to print out the reply email and have it on hand just in case i'm asked    
(Now I can close down this Garmin logo image that I found that I was going to print out, heh

2012-09-19 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I'm really surprised the answer was yes.
2012-09-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4418594

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
That's very cool of the RD to allow that. Yay!!

2012-09-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4418733

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I am surprised too. I had a race announcer in a 70.3 last week announce that possession of a cell phone, even if just for tracking purposes, was considered against the rules and would result in immediate disqualification.

Of course, you could always spend a few bucks for this www.TrackMyAthlete.com.

Edited by Blueraiderzone 2012-09-19 12:38 PM
2012-09-19 1:08 PM

Veteran
Tennessee
I usually keep my phone in my bike bag. I don't use it for tracking but my wife does use the findmyiphone app to see where I am at on the bike.
2012-09-19 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

While it's nice to hear from the RD, he is not the USAT official which is the sanctioning body for the race. I would get in touch with the head referee just to make sure it is not considered "any other item deemed dangerous by the head referee."  Refer to the USAT competitive rules section 3.4 i :  i. Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty. 

Just a precaution and my 2 pennies. Good luck Sunday, looks to be a great day for racing.

2012-09-19 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas

FWIW the Branson bike course is fairly easy to spectate on if someone is willing to drive out to it but the run course is the best area to watch-4 laps at Branson Landing-shopping, restaurants etc.

I would suggest spectators watch the swim start and T-1 then either take the shuttle to the landing or back to the hotel and be ready when you really need it-and can appreciate it- on the run.

2012-09-19 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4419099

User image

Av8rTx,

How often do the shuttles run?    Also, is the shuttle the best way for spectators to get to T1 to watch the swim?   I didn't even think that they wouldn't be able to drive and park for the swim.  

Thanks for this heads up.

Ken

2012-09-19 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4419059

User image

Colorado
By my read of this rule, the key phrase is "deemed dangerous by the Head Referee." Might a Head Referee judge that it isn't dangerous to simply wear a phone if the communications functions are turned off? I don't know, but used this way, I sure don't see how it could be any more dangerous than a cycling computer, GPS computer, powermeter, GPS watch, etc. It'd seem completely reasonable to me to allow a phone to be used this way, with it being made clear to the user that if they're seen talking on the phone, they'll be immediately DQed.

mroger82 - 2012-09-19 1:50 PM

While it's nice to hear from the RD, he is not the USAT official which is the sanctioning body for the race. I would get in touch with the head referee just to make sure it is not considered "any other item deemed dangerous by the head referee."  Refer to the USAT competitive rules section 3.4 i :  i. Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty. 

Just a precaution and my 2 pennies. Good luck Sunday, looks to be a great day for racing.

2012-09-19 6:49 PM
in reply to: #4419351

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
delosh - 2012-09-19 5:46 PM By my read of this rule, the key phrase is "deemed dangerous by the Head Referee." Might a Head Referee judge that it isn't dangerous to simply wear a phone if the communications functions are turned off? I don't know, but used this way, I sure don't see how it could be any more dangerous than a cycling computer, GPS computer, powermeter, GPS watch, etc. It'd seem completely reasonable to me to allow a phone to be used this way, with it being made clear to the user that if they're seen talking on the phone, they'll be immediately DQed.

This very issue has come up at races i have officiated, and to date we have not allowed the use of an iPhone for any purpose in a race. Primary rationale is that race officials do not have time or ability to monitor participants to see what function their iPhone is currently operating. Doesn't take a lot to turn back on these said "communication functions," or the mp3 player in the iPhone. I do understand that head of officials Charlie Crawford is reviewing the rules as they pertain to the issue.

Edited by the bear 2012-09-19 6:50 PM
2012-09-19 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
indiana
Also. Without the phone part turned on, there will be no remote tracking. It uses cellular data to transmit your location.

And also. Did I read that right? 4 laps on the run? For a HIM? Wow talk a out tedious.
2012-09-19 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
indiana
Also. Without the phone part turned on, there will be no remote tracking. It uses cellular data to transmit your location.

And also. Did I read that right? 4 laps on the run? For a HIM? Wow talk about tedious.
2012-09-19 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4419434

User image

the bear - 2012-09-19 6:49 PM
delosh - 2012-09-19 5:46 PM By my read of this rule, the key phrase is "deemed dangerous by the Head Referee." Might a Head Referee judge that it isn't dangerous to simply wear a phone if the communications functions are turned off? I don't know, but used this way, I sure don't see how it could be any more dangerous than a cycling computer, GPS computer, powermeter, GPS watch, etc. It'd seem completely reasonable to me to allow a phone to be used this way, with it being made clear to the user that if they're seen talking on the phone, they'll be immediately DQed.

This very issue has come up at races i have officiated, and to date we have not allowed the use of an iPhone for any purpose in a race. Primary rationale is that race officials do not have time or ability to monitor participants to see what function their iPhone is currently operating. Doesn't take a lot to turn back on these said "communication functions," or the mp3 player in the iPhone. I do understand that head of officials Charlie Crawford is reviewing the rules as they pertain to the issue.

Yeah i understand it is easy to turn back on...if I wanted to stop and waste the time   Heck, I don't even want to type in my password to unlock the phone(I have to cause of security with employer) and go to Endomondo(the app) and start the tracking in T1, let alone make a call or listen to music(which I severly dislike seeing people even training with music while running, let alone suicide by music on the bike...I just feel it is dangerous to know what is going on around you, but that' just me).    I'm even turning my sound on the app off since it wants to give me audio update on what mile/time I just completed and my overall time....I don't want to annoy other racers and I don't want it to do anything else but feed gps points back to the app for people to track with.

Glad to see they are reviewing the rules.   I thought about storing my phone in my bike bag but I'm going to instead wear it on my arm cause I'm worried the signal in Branson is already weak as it is and I'm going to have my little bag packed with tube, co2 cartridges, and inflator

I also totally understand why people want to listen to music.  I personally think it is dangerous, but I just never have done it so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.   I also completely understand that people try to 'sneak it'.  I remember seeing a guy trying to put it on out of T1 at Trizou and they immediately yelled at him and told him to get rid of it.     Glad to see they are reviewing the rules.   I doubt it will take much to DQ/penalize someone who is seen with buds in their ears or talking on a phone instead of just calling out someone with a device strapped to their arm.   I'm actually thinking I might just take my chances and put the thing in my bike bag anyway so people won't judge me and get the wrong idea I'm breaking the rules.

2012-09-19 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4419450

User image

ditchmedic - 2012-09-19 6:58 PM Also. Without the phone part turned on, there will be no remote tracking. It uses cellular data to transmit your location.

And also. Did I read that right? 4 laps on the run? For a HIM? Wow talk a out tedious.

I think it is 3 laps of 4 miles.   Either way you are running through the middle of a outside shopping district and lined on each side are shops and lots of branson tourists and shoppers cheering everyone on.   Probably one of the best atmospheres for non stop cheering on a run, well at least a half ironman run.    It is also mainly flat so I'm very happy with all of that cause after the grueling bike, I'll welcome lots of cheering, distractions, and tedious flatness.

2012-09-19 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4419452

User image

ditchmedic - 2012-09-19 6:59 PM Also. Without the phone part turned on, there will be no remote tracking. It uses cellular data to transmit your location.

And also. Did I read that right? 4 laps on the run? For a HIM? Wow talk about tedious.

btw, you can with some phones have custom apps that will disable the cell radio and the gps will still work fine.  It uses satellites and not cell towers, I believe.

2012-09-19 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4418594

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
justified - 2012-09-19 11:44 AM

Well, I sent this letter to the race director and within not even a 1 minutes time I got a reply that yes, I could use it: 

"May I use a cell phone for gps only and have the cell phone
part of it disabled?  

I really want my friends and family to be able to track me
live for those who are in branson with me so they can get a better idea of
where I am at in the race to cheer, especially the elderly family I have so
they aren’t sitting out for longer than they need to."

I'm going to print out the reply email and have it on hand just in case i'm asked    
(Now I can close down this Garmin logo image that I found that I was going to print out, heh

I've never heard of it being allowed. But there are services we've discussed on here before you can rent a tracker for a race and it seems to work well. Fr the bike strap your iPhone between bars and say its your bike computer!
2012-09-20 12:36 AM

User image

Master

To add on to the discussion of rules enforced by officials and such.

From the athlete guide, and WTC head referee Jimmy Riccitello:

UNAUTHORIZED EQUIPMENT: Sorry, absolutely NO communication devices,MP3 players or other audio 
devices. (Yes, that means NO cell phones, Oakley Thumps™ or Apple iPods®.

So if u do go with it on your arm, you may have to plead your case.. which would involve going to an on course penalty tent. At the penalty tent it is volunteers, and they are just doing the job of writing down info and marking bibs for "3 strikes then DQ", so your case will not be able to be adjudicated (since no ref or rd)

2012-09-20 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4419475

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
justified - 2012-09-19 9:18 PM

ditchmedic - 2012-09-19 6:59 PM Also. Without the phone part turned on, there will be no remote tracking. It uses cellular data to transmit your location.

btw, you can with some phones have custom apps that will disable the cell radio and the gps will still work fine.  It uses satellites and not cell towers, I believe.

but if the app is going to update others online it will need the cell towers to transmit the data.  GPS is just a receiver.

2012-09-20 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4419818

User image

axteraa - 2012-09-20 5:46 AM
justified - 2012-09-19 9:18 PM

but if the app is going to update others online it will need the cell towers to transmit the data.  GPS is just a receiver.

You are right.    I wasn't think about that.   Hmm, so I'm wondering more and more if they RD said okay but maybe wasn't supposed to, since all the feedback here it looks like this is something new that no one else has seen allowed before.   I'm going to put my phone(windows phone) in T1 and when I get to T1 I'll start the app, start the 'workout' for tracking and put it in my bike bag.    I'll just do without it on the run.   The run is easier for them to see anyway and they'll know when I'm about to get to the run anyway.

And if at the race meeting they call out 'that guy who we said it was okay to use the cell phone for tracking and then posted what we said on the BT forum', sorry but you can't use your cell phone at all.  Then, it isn't like they are taking my race away...I still get to have a great race and put to use my hard work and training.   

I have two friends who will be logging in with my facebook who will be updating my status's with the ironman live time updates and link, and if allowed, the endomondo updates and links.  

Thanks all.   This is by far my fav community of any forum I'm a part of.

2012-09-20 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

Normally, I'm a stickler for the rules, but this is one of those cases where the letter of the rules and the intention may not really match. These gadgets turn into a hazard when people fiddle with them during the race, try to make calls on them, or put on the headphones/speaker rather than stay alert and aware of their surroundings and other racers around them.

If you're not doing any of those things, what's the difference between this device and any other GPS? If garmin adds MP3 functions to their next generation watch, would it be disallowed?  What if it require headphones and the user doesn't have headphones in their possession? At a certain point in time, common sense has to prevail. It's the use of the device which should be banned, not the possession of the device. Kind of like states passing the no cell phone use in school zones laws. It's not illegal to have a cell phone in your car as you drive through a school zone, it's illegal to be talking on it.

I use a Garmin 310, so this doesn't really apply to me. But if I normally used a smart phone as a data collection device, I'd make sure all the ringers and shakers were turned off and put it out of sight in the pocket of my shorts. As long as its not on display, not making any noise, and you're not fiddling with it, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem. Kind of like "Don't ask, Don't tell"! If it turned into a problem, I'd have the race director e-mail in my bag and deal with it after the race.  

2012-09-20 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4421006

User image

Expert
Savannah
g_shotts - 2012-09-20 4:57 PM

Normally, I'm a stickler for the rules, but this is one of those cases where the letter of the rules and the intention may not really match. These gadgets turn into a hazard when people fiddle with them during the race, try to make calls on them, or put on the headphones/speaker rather than stay alert and aware of their surroundings and other racers around them.

If you're not doing any of those things, what's the difference between this device and any other GPS? If garmin adds MP3 functions to their next generation watch, would it be disallowed?  What if it require headphones and the user doesn't have headphones in their possession? At a certain point in time, common sense has to prevail. It's the use of the device which should be banned, not the possession of the device. Kind of like states passing the no cell phone use in school zones laws. It's not illegal to have a cell phone in your car as you drive through a school zone, it's illegal to be talking on it.

I use a Garmin 310, so this doesn't really apply to me. But if I normally used a smart phone as a data collection device, I'd make sure all the ringers and shakers were turned off and put it out of sight in the pocket of my shorts. As long as its not on display, not making any noise, and you're not fiddling with it, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem. Kind of like "Don't ask, Don't tell"! If it turned into a problem, I'd have the race director e-mail in my bag and deal with it after the race.  

If they are not allowed it is a lot easier for a ref to determine if the device is authorized or not.  If he sees one, bam, penalty.  If they are allowed in a certain mode, how does the official deter if the device is being used legally or illegally.  I understand that the OP states that he doesn't want to use any other mode but I'm sure others would.   And if Garmin did add an mp3 player to the next version I think it should be banned, but that's not the discussion at hand.

Allowing such devices is opening a big headache for the refs as a whole. 

Edited by mktoson 2012-09-20 5:40 PM
2012-09-20 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

You do not see phones and mp3 players in the races at the present time.  If and when that changes, then you can use it.  I personally would not take a chance.  I don't want to spend my valuable time writing to the race director and officials and then re-explaining it to them when they try to penalize me in a race.

Lobby to change the rules for the future, but for now, don't use it!

OK, I'll step back down off my pulpit now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question - Can I have a cell phone on arm during Branson 70.3 half ironman race for tracking only? Rss Feed  

of 1