General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong to race Rev3 Half Full in Columbia Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-19 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Subject: Lance Armstrong to race Rev3 Half Full in Columbia

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/bikeshorts/2012/09/lance-armstrong-to-compete-in-columbia-s-rev3-half-full-triathlon

So, uh, if you were thinking about registering for this, you better do it quick.

2012-09-19 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4418850

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Lance Armstrong to race Rev3 Half Full in Columbia
Yea now I'm bummed that I chose Waterman's as my fall HIM... it really was a toss up between the two, but with the waterman's for the series points... oh well.
2012-09-19 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

Who?

I'm not racing this year, but now will probably come out to watch.

2012-09-20 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4419136

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
jcnipper - 2012-09-19 4:22 PM

Who?

I'm not racing this year, but now will probably come out to watch.

Still need plenty of volunteers if you'll be around http://rev3tri.com/half-full/volunteer-hf/signup/

2012-09-21 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
This will be my first half next year. Might come out to watch and maybe get to meet him which would be cool
2012-10-02 3:26 PM

User image

New user
Ellicott City

How is it that there's no chatter on here about this?  Is it going on somewhere, and I just didn't see it?

I signed up, with a week and a half of training time left, because Lance is racing.  I mean, if I were a mediocre basketball player, and I had the opportunity to play a game with Michael Jordan, or a weekend soccer player, and Pele wanted to come and play my team...how cool would that be?  This is the same thing.  He is the elite cyclist of a generation, and he's coming to race in my backyard.

But Rev3 inviting Lance, and his accepting at the 11th hour, means they decertified the race, and I'm sure that had to off a lot of elite athletes. 

2012-10-03 7:14 AM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA

I think it is pretty cool in net.  I am even pretty sure my bike split will be faster than Lance's.  Of course, I am doing the 40-mile course rather than 70...

Just got another email from Half Full - it turns out the olympic distance will be USAT after all, and they are all allowing anyone to switch from the half to the olympic if they really want a USAT race.  Seems like a pretty fair solution.

Dear Mr. BoH,

Welcome to RACE WEEK!  We are less than a week away from the 3rd Annual Half Full Triathlon.  The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults is very excited to host you at our event.  This newsletter will serve you with some updated information about race week. 

Following a thorough decision making process with USAT - The National Governing Body for triathlon, we are excited to move forward with USAT Sanctioning for the Olympic Distance Event and NOT the Half Distance Event. This decision was made this year in order to capitalize on a truly unique opportunity to support The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.  This decision in no way questions the many merits of sanctioning with USA Triathlon. The results from the Half Distance will NOT count toward USAT national rankings or qualification for USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships, but we will still be self-enforcing USAT rules to ensure a fair and safe event.

Please know that we have secured our own event insurance in order to fully protect all participants, staff and volunteers at the Half Full Triathlon. As conveyed in an earlier communication, if participants in the Half Distance Event paid a fee at the time of registration for a USA Triathlon one-day membership ($12), it will be refunded. We would also like to extend an opportunity to transfer registration from the Half Distance to the Olympic Distance for those who are interested in doing so in light of these changes.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.  Please keep in mind that by participating in the Half Full Triathlon, you are making a direct impact in the lives of young adults and their loved ones who have been impacted by cancer.

We look forward to hosting you during Half Full weekend and thank you for your support!

2012-10-08 3:55 PM

User image

New user
Ellicott City

Great race.  Despite the cold and the rain, it was awesome!!! A little tough for me, since I signed up with only two weeks to train, one of which was a taper, so not my best time, but still...beer, burgers and sausages?  People dressed up as devils, cows and dogs?  Cowbells everywhere?  C'mon, what's not to love!  Love that bike course.

Re: Lance, I laughed at the Baltimore Sun article that came out this morning that said he raced and came in two hours after the first place finisher.  The online version of the Sun corrected the error.  He did indeed come in well after the first place finisher...of the Olympic distance race.  But he was doing the 70 mile Half Full, and had the best time in that by more than ten minutes.  I didn't see him on the podium, tho.  From what I understand, he declined to accept a medal, as he competed in the survivor category and didn't want to take anything away from current cancer survivors.  But maybe someone who knows the facts can comment on that.

2012-10-08 5:12 PM

Baltimore, MD

My sister had signed up to do this race, but got stress fractures in her foot a few weeks ago and had to drop out.  She volunteered instead and I got a pic on my phone last night of Lance on the run somewhere.

I myself was recovering from my first Seagull Century, where the weather was AWESOME!

2012-10-09 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
A fun event, despite the bad weather.  I was in the last wave of the Olympic, so I was expecting  Lance to pass me on the bike, but he didn't.  I did see him finish though, which was pretty cool.
2012-10-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4446257

User image

I got passed by Lance on the bike. It was awesome!  The costumes and cowbells were a riot!!  I am not a strong biker and those hills killed me!  I fully expected to get lapped again out on the bike course.  His motorcycle entourage passed as I approached the park entrance so I HTFU and made it to T2 about 5 seconds before him.  My legs were like jello and I made a very conscious effort to stay on my legs and smile for all the cameras Laughing. Ran like the wind so I would see him finish!

User image

I got passed by Lance on the bike. It was awesome!  The costumes and cowbells were a riot!!  I am not a strong biker and those hills killed me!  I fully expected to get lapped again out on the bike course.  His motorcycle entourage passed as I approached the park entrance so I HTFU and made it to T2 about 5 seconds before him.  My legs were like jello and I made a very conscious effort to stay on my legs and smile for all the cameras Laughing. Ran like the wind so I would see him finish!

User image

2012-10-10 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4437562

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Mike Hasson - 2012-10-02 4:26 PM

How is it that there's no chatter on here about this?  Is it going on somewhere, and I just didn't see it?

There was like an 8 page thread about it on the Tri talk forum.

Glad everyone had a fun time.  I really wanted to come out and spectate, but came down with a nasty bug last thursday and spent the whole day in bed or on the couch.  At least there was football on.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong to race Rev3 Half Full in Columbia Rss Feed